+ Reply to Thread
    pzc

Graffiti 2 is NOT compatible with non-english character sets

If you are using PiLoc from Paragon Software (www.penreader.com) do yourself a favor and do not upgrade to the latest firmware from Kyocera (MZ 1.0.44 and SSZ 1.0.29). This firmware replaces Graffiti with a newer version called Graffiti 2, which happens to be badly in conflict with the non-english use of PiLoc. Two problems:

- Graffiti 2 does not recognize PiLoc redirected non-english characters (Polish in my case) making all related text and programs like dictionaries useless
    - When PiLoc System language is set to other then Default, 7135 hard (yes hard!) resets itself after few minutes of usage

Same is probably true of other software that relies on some of the non-english alphabet characters.

I did my upgrade at a Verizon store in Nashua, NH, and the upgrade itself went rather smoothly. I send an email to the developers but no answer yet. I will post an update when I find out anything.
    :anger :anger :anger

I got the following email from the PiLoc developers for those that have a similar problem:

"... Thank you very much for your interest to our programs. Now PiLoc does not support this update [Graffiti 2], but we are planning to support it in future. May be in month or two months ..."

So there is hope - maybe, that is

Have you tried Tealscript?

pzc
    Originally posted by SmartDevil
    Have you tried Tealscript?
    No, I did not. PiLoc expands the system characters set to non-resident alphabets in various encodings (Windows, ISO and Unicode) for display and for entry (strokes). Does Tealscript do both?

Thanks

I've seen people use Tealscript with Hebrew letters. I don't know if it required a separate hack or not.

Tealscript has the ability to conform to one's particular writing style. If it can recognize the characters you use, it should work.

Tealscript offers a free trial. Why not give it a whirl?

pzc
    I will! Thanks.

pzc
    So far I have not been able to replace PiLoc functionality under Graffiti 2 with any other suggested options. This is because the issue is not with how a keystroke is mapped to a character but rather how a character code is being redirected to display a different character depending on the language used. Thanks for all the suggestions from many but as far as I can tell PiLoc is the only program that does this for the language that I'm interested in (Polish). This is a PALM O/S issue and not a 7135 issue.

I got the following email from the PiLoc developers for those that have a similar problem:

"... Thank you very much for your interest to our programs. Now PiLoc does not support this update [Graffiti 2], but we are planning to support it in future. May be in month or two months ..."

So there is hope - maybe, that is

pzc

Thumbs up

To all those that care, I’m happy to report that the developers of PiLoc at Paragon Software (www.penreader.com) did come through and now it all works correctly with Graffiti 2 on 7135.