+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eudora problem

eudora problem

I am having a problem sending mail using the eudora program. Apparently it will not send the password info and I get a relay error. It will not work with multiple smtp addresses, though I have no problem receiving e mail on the pop incoming addresses.

Please help.

who is your provider?

provider

verizon

Update

I have loaded Snappermail, which I think I like better, but that does not solve the problem. I am using Verizon wireless on the 7135. I have 3 e mail addresses. One with my office which is working fine now that the IT guy changed some settings on our server.

I have a Bellsouth.net address and a Cox.net address. Both of them will allow me to receive my e mail via POP, but neither of them will let me send out e mail thru the SMTP.

Is this an issue with Verizon and my phone, or is it blocked by Bellsouth and Cox to keep me from sending out over their network when connected to their systems via the 7135?

And is there anything that can be done?

Thanks if anyone has any suggestions

Re: Update

Originally posted by sgtpepa
    I have a Bellsouth.net address and a Cox.net address. Both of them will allow me to receive my e mail via POP, but neither of them will let me send out e mail thru the SMTP.
    Is this an issue with Verizon and my phone, or is it blocked by Bellsouth and Cox to keep me from sending out over their network when connected to their systems via the 7135?
    Bellsouth and Cox are likely blocking access to SMTP from your 7135. This is a typical thing for an ISP to do in order to prevent SPAM relaying from machines (7135 in your case) outside their network.

And is there anything that can be done?
    Yes ... http://www.snappermail.com/support/#11 has some information. You can sign up for a free Email service that provides SMTP. I use the one at http://www.myrealbox.com which is provided by Novell. I use it for SMTP only (get POP3 from my ISP account). It works great most of the time.
    Michael

Use "smtp.airbridge.net" as your outgoing mail server. Then you should not get a relay. This is a fairly common anti-spam ISP tactic.

Redeye
    used to be sjm3rd before mega forum crash...

Originally posted by Redeye
    Use "smtp.airbridge.net" as your outgoing mail server. Then you should not get a relay. This is a fairly common anti-spam ISP tactic.
    Redeye
    used to be sjm3rd before mega forum crash...
    When I do a lookup for "smtp.airbridge.net", it brings back a DNS error "not found".

It's "mail.airbridge.net".
    Michael

You are correct about the mail.airbridge.net However you have to have a name / password. you can use qnc/qnc to authenticate it.

I read on other newsgroups that in some areas you need to hae the name/password and in others you do not.

I tried it and nothing happened. I then called Verizon data and like the other newsgroups said, they will tell you it won't work. they suggested another e mail service which I do not want.

Frustrated when I hung up, I head a pop and the e mail that I sent as a test showed up. It took over 30 minutes, but it did show up.

I may have the problem solved, but again would appreciate any other suggestions.

Originally posted by sgtpepa
    I may have the problem solved, but again would appreciate any other suggestions.
    The mail.airbridge.net server has been having serious performance problems of late. See my post above about creating an account on http://www.myrealbox.com.
    Michael

I use the airbridge but I got an account by calling Verizon customer service. The weird thing is that I host my own email servers and though, as a modem, I could connect to my email server and send mail, when using the exact same connection (#777) I couldn't with Eudora. I've not seen the delay problems with sending through airbridge but if I've got to get something time critical through I just send it as an SMS. Yeah, it's got [myphone]@vtext.com as the reply to but folks get used to that.