+ Reply to Thread

$100 instant discount on 7135?

I have searched here, and looked at the Verizon web page - but I have not seen any "official" Verizon documentation on this.

They have the little $200 signs up at the local Verizon store, but no details.

I KNOW I don't qualify for $100 of that $200 because I don't have one of the listed phone/organizers to trade in - THAT rebate I have found.

I am looking for the specifics on the $100 off instantly - I think it is $100 of if you buy the phone and sign up for the data service. Since I was planning on getting unlimited high-speed data added to my service - then I should qualify, right?

I like the minutes and non-contract I have now, and online using the "upgrade phone" option I could get a 7135 for $500 (2 yr), $530 (1 yr), or $530 (no contract). It looks like no activation fee either, just order the phone and the send it to you. So if could just replace my T720 for $530 - $100 instant off and NOT have a new contract I think I would go for it.

Any help appreciated - I even did a Google search of the Verizon web page for $100 and found nothing.

One more question - what is the name and cost of the unlimited high speed Internet that you add to a voice plan? When I go through the web page as if I am going to order a 7135 and pick an "America's Choice" plan the only options I get for Internet are the $4.99 Mobile Web and the $7 and $35 Wi-Fi options (this last one makes no sense - the 7135 does not have 802.11b, does it?).

Dennis

Re: $100 instant discount on 7135?

Originally posted by dwynne
    $530 (1 yr), or $530 (no contract). It looks like no activation fee either, just order the phone and the send it to you.
    I think there is a strong correlation between the $30/$35 difference in price of phones and the 1 or 2 year contracts. With the 2 year contract you get free activation (and new-any-two). Activation is usually listed for $35.

-Quick

I found a message Marty posted about a month ago:

You should take a look at the first post by "bg7669" in this thread where he explains the answer to your question. In short, every AC plan AUTOMATICALLY gets EN per minute feature added to it at no additional charge because things such as Picture Messaging and Get It Now need to use Express Network in order for them to work as advertised. According to bg7669 and others, Verizon did not intend for this automatic EN feature to be used for email/web access and thus explains why Verizon doesn't advertise it. 7135/I700/etc owners get the EN per minute feature automatically added to our accounts just like everyone else and so now that we have this EN per minute feature on our accounts, it gives us the capability to use it to do email, access the web, etc, useage just comes out of our minutes.

Is this still true? If so I would be better of to just order the 7135 online w/o a contract and forget about the $100 instant rebate, right? Then DON'T sign up for the KBUUE unlimited data for $45 (or is it $50 now?) data plan, just let my data minutes come out of my curent plan minutes. Unless my usage goes UP with the new phone wouldn't I be better off in the long run? The $100 instant rebate VS $45-50 a month every month for the next year or two ?

Thanks!
    Dennis

Re: Re: $100 instant discount on 7135?

Originally posted by Quick
    I think there is a strong correlation between the $30/$35 difference in price of phones and the 1 or 2 year contracts. With the 2 year contract you get free activation (and new-any-two). Activation is usually listed for $35.

-Quick
    You are right (no wonder you are called quick ). That is the difference - they don't charge the activation fee on the upgrade phone over the web, but they really do by having the price slightly higher.

I am going to run down to the local store and see what they say about the $100 instant off and report back. I called the 8002joinin number and they said I would get $100 off instantly for trading in ANY working phone. Someone in a thread here mentions this, but I am pretty sure it it wrong info.

If the loal store can't make me a better deal, I think I will just order the phone w/o a contract for $530 and see if the EN will work on my plan or not. If I buy from the store, then it is a 2 year commitment to get the phone for $500, then signing up for another $45-50 per month to get the price down to $400. Sounds like I would be better off online. "Worst case" I will have to call in and give the KBUUE code and up the bill. I can still sell the phone if/when I find something better since I am not under any contract.

Or, I could just run down to the Sprint store and get the i500. I am pretty sure their plans make more sense to me - and they just take $150 off the phone

Thanks!
    Dennis

This might help

As an existing Verizon customer, I was quoted $629 for the 7135. I logged into my Verizon account online and selected "Upgrade my phone", and the price was $529 without a contract extension. I called Verizon and was told that the price was a mistake, but they would honor the price. If they haven't corrected the problem, I would take advantage of it. The $100 rebate is only for folks who send in a working smartphone and sign up for unlimited web access (which is very pricey).

$529 isn't a deal... I'd check e-bay. I bought me phone used and activated it on Verizon. No new contract etc... I paid $325 for mine...

I went to the local Verizon store Saturday. I asked them to explain the $200 off (the signs were everywhere - $200 off ask your salesperson for details). They didn't know! They were not sure, they told me to call back on Monday and talk to the manager!

They also told me I could not use a BMW CDMA phone on the Verizon network (it was originally on CodeTel or someone else). I told them they were wrong, but they said no.

Anyway, as luck would have it - later that night I was near a large Verizon store at a mall and stopped in. The sales person knew exactly what he was doing! He got my BMW phone set up on my "family plan" in a matter of minutes AND he knew about the $200 in 2 $100 discounts.

We know you get $100 off for trading in a Blackberry or other working/signed up PDA/wireless device (which I don't have and would likely fetch more on eBay anyway).

The other $100 off (which is NOT on the web page) is given if you sign up for either the $50 "BlackBerry" unlimited Express Network plan (if you don't put the phone on a voice plan) OR if you sign up for the unlimited Express Network plan and add it to a voice plan ($45 a month). I am pretty sure a 2 year commitment is required to get the extra $100 off. I am guessing that if you signed up for the $45 add to a voice plan, you could turn off the EN later and keep the $100 off.

Anyway, the sales guy had already looked at my account and saw I was not under contract and I made noises about getting the i500 from Sprint, etc. I am NOT on the "new every 2" deal or anything else - just a good customer ($100+ bill every month and always pay on time).

Anyway, he said "if you will buy the phone tonight and sign a 2 year contract I will take off $100". I said not bad, but what if I add the unlimited EN to it? He said "then I will take another $100 off".

So in the end, I signed a 2 year contract to get the phone for $299 plus tax with no activation fee!

I think they must have some descretion with customers, it is like they gave me the new every 2 even though I was never under a 2 year contract - but I have been with them for several years.

Anyway, now I just have to learn all about the phone and decide if I want to keep it. I think I will, but it is taking some getting used to. Biggest complaint: I am a long time Palm user and the new graffitti 2 is contrart to what I am used to. I am hoping I can turn off 2 and go back to "1". When I played with my boss' phone his responded as I would expect - but mine does not.

Dennis

@ dwynne,
    As far as I know, there is no way to revert your phone back to Graffiti 1. Look into programs called "Jot" or "TealScript" to override/replace Graffiti 2 and get it to respond the way you want again.
    Michael

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I searched the FAQ after I posted and found the graffiti 2 help stuff. I will print it out and see if I can learn it - hopefully someone will come out with a free hack to put graffiti 1 back on there

Dennis

Originally posted by dwynne
    Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I searched the FAQ after I posted and found the graffiti 2 help stuff. I will print it out and see if I can learn it - hopefully someone will come out with a free hack to put graffiti 1 back on there

Dennis
    You're welcome. Also, there was a thread on here somewhere about a software upgrade for the Palm Tungsten model. Download links were provided. Included with that software was a version of the program called "Jot", which lets you use Graffiti 1 strokes. Try searching for the keywords Tungsten and Jot.

(pause) Never mind, I found it for you. This thread -> http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...5&pagenumber=9

On page #9 in a post by user "Data Rox" there is a link.
    Michael

Looks like that is where I can get the WebPro browser as well? That looks to be the main reason for the download and install as reported here, but I would get "jot" as well...

Thanks,
    Dennis

Got mine for $399 from VZW.

I just purchased my 7135 on 11/3/03. They told me about the $499 price for 2 year contract. CSR checked to see if I was eligible for any other discounts. Came back and told me I was eligible for another $100 "long time customer" discount. Net price was $399 plus tax.

I think the $100 "long time customer" is the one they refer to about how you get a new phone every 2 years up to $100 in value. Perhaps with number portability around the corner, they're trying to be nice to their existing customers

Sounds right to me

I think if you are out of your contract and have been a good customer then they have a way to give you the "new every 2" $100 off anyway. I signed up for the unlimited data add-on ($45 per month) to get another $100 off. I was spending about 1/2 of my minutes WAPping on my T720 and I am finding I am spending a lot more time surfing on the 7135 - nice to know I can eat all I want and no extra fee.

I was not having to put my daughter's phone back on our plan, I would have reduced my minutes when I got the unlimited data plan.

Dennis