+ Reply to Thread

A different SD card question

Hope this isn't too far off-topic:

I'm looking to buy a digital camera. I've considered those that use SD cards as the storage medium, because I already have an investment in SDs for my 7135. However, from the camera standpoint, they don't seem to be the best.

Here's my question: I have a San Disk Cruzer SD card reader. The camera I'm interested in has a USB interface. Can I upload photos from the camera to a large capacity SD card in the Cruzer? I'm on the road a lot and I don't always have my PowerBook with me, but the Cruzer is so easy to pack . . .

What do you gurus think? Can it be done?
    "One good word is worth a thousand
    pictures."

Re: A different SD card question

Originally posted by dowtech
    Hope this isn't too far off-topic:

I'm looking to buy a digital camera. I've considered those that use SD cards as the storage medium, because I already have an investment in SDs for my 7135. However, from the camera standpoint, they don't seem to be the best.

Here's my question: I have a San Disk Cruzer SD card reader. The camera I'm interested in has a USB interface. Can I upload photos from the camera to a large capacity SD card in the Cruzer? I'm on the road a lot and I don't always have my PowerBook with me, but the Cruzer is so easy to pack . . .

What do you gurus think? Can it be done?
    You cannot load images into the cruzer from the camera.

I too use a Palm with SD slot and Mac with a cruzer, and I love my camera which takes SD cards. I would recommend the Minolta DiMage X20 camera like mine - 2 Mpixel with SD slot and USB cable both, and it is very small and light - it is about 1" thick (vs 0.6" for my ipod) and only 1/4" wider than my ipod, but abolut 1" shorter than my ipod. With both in my hands right now it feels lighter than my 3G ipod too. I would guess it is about the size of the Canon ELF, but lighter.

It runs on 2AA batteries, does extended QT movies in 1/2 and 1/4 VGA with audio up until your SD memory card is full (i.e. the bigger the card, the longer the movie), has three resolution settings including 1600x1200 2mpixel (good for 5x7 and 8x10 prints), starts up very fast, and you can load the SD card from the camera into your cruzer if you don't feel like cabling the camera to the computer. It only comes with a free 8mb SD card, but a 256mb card can be had for $50-70. IIt also comes with video cable and USB cable, and a free set of bateries, all for $199.

I gave up my Kodac 1.3 mpixel for a Visioneer 2 mpixel that was only $149 with 32mb SD card and SD card reader, and the Visioneer has suck compaired to my new Minolta X20. Highly recommended.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good camera, except that I need at least 4 megapixels to produce high-res, print quality images. Am thinking about the Canon PowerShot G3, which has gotten rave reviews. Guess I'll just have to spring for the high capacity compact flash cards.

It just seems like such a waste to have two different formats.
    "One good word is worth a thousand
    pictures."

Circuit City sells CF adapters that let you use SD cards in a CF device. They are about $60+

I have one that was a lot cheaper, that someone brought back from Japan, and I used it with my Kodac DC230 but that was only 1.3 mpixel and I only use it for small file sized photos for ebay.

What about the powershot A70 - what resolution is that? I think it uses SD cards. The 3 mpixel Canon ELF is a good camera too, with SD card support. You could go to CNET.com and find all the digital cameras with good scores, and pick one that uses SD cards.

For me, 2 mpixel is great for 4x6 and 5x7 photo prints, never tried printing an 8x10.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16