+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hertz NeverLost functionality w/7135?

Ever used the Hertz NeverLost service, or something similar? Wouldn't it be nice to have that same functionality based on your trusty sidekick, the 7135?

I think it would, but I'm having trouble finding all the "best practice" information in one place. Thus, if it pleases the moderators, I have started this thread. If it ends up containing little more than links to other threads, that would be ok.

Here are the questions for which I hope to collect answers:

1. What's the best way to mount a 7135 for use as an automotive navigation tool? (I'm leaning toward the ProClip solution -- http://www.proclipusa.com -- but am also interested in simplifying the necessary power and GPS interface connections.)

2. What are the pros and cons of the various GPS navigation applications? Accuracy, memory footprint, ability to keep maps on the SD card, zoomability, display speed, cooperation with other phone features, etc, should be considered.

3. How about the various GPS antennas? I've seen a little one that mounts behind the rear-view mirrow, but I don't know where to find it.

BUT WAIT! STOP! Don't ask if the 7135 has GPS already built in! It doesn't! It has "AGPS", which only helps the phone company locate us -- it doesn't help us locate ourselves, so please don't suggest otherwise!
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net

Ok, I have a great solution!

My GPS receiver is a Garmin GPS 35-PC TracPak (http://www.garmin.com/products/gps35/). I purchased it from http://www.GpsCentral.ca. It's a bare-bones, no-display, NMEA 2.0 compliant, integrated GPS receiver/antenna. It does not require the DTR pin to be hot as does my old DeLorme Earthmate. (The 7135 apparently does not set that pin hot, or not hot enough, so my Earthmate did not work with the 7135 without modification.) The TracPak cost around CA$400 (~US$200? I'll find out when my credit card statement arrives).

Mount the TracPak using one or more of the Garmin mounts shown here:
    http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_f...u=010-00116-00
    I used the suction cup mount.

The TracPak cable has two terminals -- one for data, the other for power.

The data terminal is a female DB9 serial connector. For 7135 use, you'll need to attach a DB9 null modem adapter and a DB9 gender changer (both available at Radio Shack). For laptop use, you don't need anything else.

The power terminal is a cigarette lighter power plug. This powers the TracPak only, not the 7135, so...

To complete the rig, get a Car Power Adapter (TXCLA10019G) and a Serial Data Cable (TXDTA10018F) from http://www.kyocera-wireless.com . The Serial Data Cable connector has a jack for the Car Power Adapter. Hook them together, plug the Car Power Adapter into a second cigarette lighter jack (using a splitter available from any auto store if necessary), plug the free end of the Serial Data Cable into the 7135's hotsync port, and you're all set!

This solution leaves the SD slot free for a regular old SD memory card, on which you can store all your maps.

Install your favorite GPS-capable mapping program (I use Quo Vadis from http://www.marcosoft.com), use it to start the TracPak, and you're in business!

If you want true Hertz NeverLost functionality, check out Mapopolis.

I haven't yet mounted the 7135 itself to my dash. I think I'll try the solution I mentioned in the previous post. I'll let you know how it goes!
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Looking forward to learning how your contraption works out. If successfull, I may give it a try!

Pictures of your setup would help too, if you feel so inclined...

Sounds great! I'd be tempted to get this set-up... Please let us know how it works on the 7135 and what the GPS unit cost is etc... Thanks

'Peace- through overwhelming force-out.'

Smoothop

I googled it and came up with a couple of places for $169.

I'm considering this setup as well, and sell my Garmin Color Streetmap - it's nice, but you can't do turn by turn routing directly on the device by just entering 2 points like you can on their new model - but I'm NOT going to pay 800+ for one.

I like the looks of Delorme Street Atlas 4.0. It's got routing and (non voice) turn prompts. Check it out here: http://www.delorme.com/streetatlasus...ld/default.asp

I already have the car adapter, so the cost of this whole set up for me would be:

GPS 35 170
    Serial cable 40
    Gender changer 6.50 (Rat Shack)
    Null M to F 6.50
    Street Atlas 40

Total 263, plus shipping costs

Would probably need another 256M SD card too

Originally posted by Smoothop
    Sounds great! I'd be tempted to get this set-up... Please let us know how it works on the 7135 and what the GPS unit cost is etc... Thanks

'Peace- through overwhelming force-out.'

Smoothop

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    I googled it and came up with a couple of places for $169.

I'm considering this setup as well, and sell my Garmin Color Streetmap - it's nice, but you can't do turn by turn routing directly on the device by just entering 2 points like you can on their new model - but I'm NOT going to pay 800+ for one.

I like the looks of Delorme Street Atlas 4.0. It's got routing and (non voice) turn prompts. Check it out here: http://www.delorme.com/streetatlasus...ld/default.asp

I already have the car adapter, so the cost of this whole set up for me would be:

GPS 35 170
    Serial cable 40
    Gender changer 6.50 (Rat Shack)
    Null M to F 6.50
    Street Atlas 40

Total 263, plus shipping costs

Would probably need another 256M SD card too
    StreetAtlas2004 handheld is good at what it does, but is very slow to calculate routes or find POI's on the 7135. Particularly when the maps are on the SD card. Before selling your StreetMap you should buy it and the cables and try it out (Delorme has a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee).

Alan

Yep, I looked at amazon reviews and they ripped it pretty bad. 10 minutes to route a 10 mile trip? Man, they gotta be kidding - no reason to even try it.

Think I'll download the Mapopolis trial and see how it looks.

Originally posted by alanb
    StreetAtlas2004 handheld is good at what it does, but is very slow to calculate routes or find POI's on the 7135. Particularly when the maps are on the SD card. Before selling your StreetMap you should buy it and the cables and try it out (Delorme has a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee).

Alan

Originally posted by KevinAnLipscomb
    Ok, I have a great solution!
    Some have asked me to make another post when I actually get this working. Guess I wasn't clear. I already have it working, and I love it! All I'm waiting on now are the parts from ProClipUsa.com to mount it to the dashboard -- currently I'm holding it in my hand as I drive down the road (not recommended).
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Yep, I looked at amazon reviews and they ripped it pretty bad. 10 minutes to route a 10 mile trip? Man, they gotta be kidding - no reason to even try it.

Think I'll download the Mapopolis trial and see how it looks.
    It is MUCH better on faster Palm's.

Alan

Mapopolis demo not much help. The sample data file comes pre-expired so you can't test a thing.

I noticed from their site that they don't have next turn prompting for routes w/ GPS, is this correct? If so, a major bummer.

Originally posted by alanb
    It is MUCH better on faster Palm's.

Alan

Folks,

I have used TripPilot without a GPS and it does mapping by calling a server and using Microsoft Mappoint.

I know it has an option to connect to a GPS, but my understanding was that the 7135's processor was too slow. I think ARM/OS5 are required for the GPS to work.

Even w/o a GPS, this software is well worth the money.

Glenn

I got a demo of TripPilot and really liked it. I recall that you have to pay a yearly subscription for the trip routes, but the nice thing is that the data is always available for everywhere (you needn't have anticipated/loaded it ahead of time) and the data is always "fresh". I don't think I'd use enough routes to justify a yearly sub - do they have a per download fee plan?

But it's all moot to me if GPS won't work. I find that a bit odd, if the others can track the map with GPS, why can't these guys?

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Folks,

I have used TripPilot without a GPS and it does mapping by calling a server and using Microsoft Mappoint.

I know it has an option to connect to a GPS, but my understanding was that the 7135's processor was too slow. I think ARM/OS5 are required for the GPS to work.

Even w/o a GPS, this software is well worth the money.

Glenn

Some have asked me to make another post when I actually get this working. Guess I wasn't clear. I already have it working, and I love it! All I'm waiting on now are the parts from ProClipUsa.com to mount it to the dashboard -- currently I'm holding it in my hand as I drive down the road (not recommended).
    Kevin, If you could give us some examples of how your system works for you. What exactly can or is it doing for you? How fast is it? How reliable? etc..

I can say I've never used Hertz Neverlost or other GPS but I can't say I've never been lost.

Thanks-

'I spent all my money on women, booze, and boats...The rest I just wasted.'

Smoothop

I already have it working, and I love it! All I'm waiting on now are the parts from ProClipUsa.com to mount it to the dashboard
    Well, the parts arrived from ProClipUsa.com, and they are fantastic! The mount is rock solid -- doesn't budge, even a millimeter, even on the most serious of bumps (and there are a lot of serious bumps here in Pittsburgh).

The ProClip mounting solution I chose is the kind that simply snaps itself into the small gaps inbetween existing parts of the car's trim. If you have a really old car with really brittle plastic trim, I would not recommend the ProClip. But my car (which is 16 years old) still has reasonably pliable plastic dash trim, and the ProClip worked fine. Once snapped into place, it ain't goin' *nowhere*!

So I highly recommend ProClipUsa.com.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Originally posted by Smoothop
    Kevin, If you could give us some examples of how your system works for you. What exactly can or is it doing for you? How fast is it? How reliable? etc..
    So far, I'm using this hardware rig with Quo Vadis software (http://www.marcosoft.com) to track my travels when I go to unfamiliar places. Quo Vadis maps are vector-based, which means you can zoom in and out very easily. They do not include geologic features (such as lakes, altitude countour lines, etc), nor do they include one-way-road indications or "pretty" depictions of things like divided highways, bridges, or the like. I recommend you read more at the MarcoSoft site if you're interested.

Quo Vadis does not do turn-by-turn routing. It will draw an arrow depicting the direction of your target relative to your current position, but it does not trace road routes for you.

Reliability is 100% in the sense that the program does what it's supposed to do and has not crashed. Speed has not been a concern. Quo Vadis is not terribly graphics-intensive. The limiting factor is the update rate on the GPS receiver, which is fixed at one update per second. There is no delay in responsiveness on the part of the 7135.

The ProClip-based mounting solution I described would also work well for regular hands-free phone use.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

I got a demo of TripPilot and really liked it. I recall that you have to pay a yearly subscription for the trip routes, but the nice thing is that the data is always available for everywhere (you needn't have anticipated/loaded it ahead of time) and the data is always "fresh". I don't think I'd use enough routes to justify a yearly sub - do they have a per download fee plan?

But it's all moot to me if GPS won't work. I find that a bit odd, if the others can track the map with GPS, why can't these guys?
    rlwhitt,

I think it costs $39, and everything is included going forward. They might be out of business soon, but Herts with NeverLost is at least $50 bucks extra eveytime you rent from them.

I travel a lot, and I have used this in a pinch two times. So it has paid for itself.

Glenn

You're right. Used to be (last time I donwloaded the demo) the initial cost included so many downloads and once those ran out you had to buy more - maybe it was a block of X over Y time period or something. I downloaded it again yesterday and I see there is no longer anything like this. There's a lot I like about this program, but I can still see wanting ability to track on a full map once in a while, so maybe both kinds of programs would be nice.

rlwhitt,

I think it costs $39, and everything is included going forward. They might be out of business soon, but Herts with NeverLost is at least $50 bucks extra eveytime you rent from them.

I travel a lot, and I have used this in a pinch two times. So it has paid for itself.

Glenn

TripPilot

Hey guys, thanks for pointing me to TripPilot. It's the bomb! It works great with the setup I've described in this thread!

With this software, I formally declare the quest for Hertz NeverLost functionality to be at an end!
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Re: TripPilot

Hey guys, thanks for pointing me to TripPilot. It's the bomb! It works great with the setup I've described in this thread!
    KevinAnLipscomb,

So basically your Garmin GPS works with TripPilot. Can you describe a little how this works...

If it's really nice, I may go ahead and get a GPS...

Glenn

Re: Re: TripPilot

KevinAnLipscomb,

So basically your Garmin GPS works with TripPilot. Can you describe a little how this works...

If it's really nice, I may go ahead and get a GPS...

Glenn
    Well, the Garmin unit transmits NMEA 2.0-compliant "sentences" of the form "$GSA,A,3,04,05,,09,12,,,24,,,,,2.5,1.3,2.1*39" to the 7135...

Really, Glenn, what specifically can I describe to you that I haven't already? The hardware and software work as advertised. Please follow the links in the thread if you want to learn more about each component.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb