+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Charging the battery outside the country

I'll be spending some time in London and Iceland in a couple of weeks, and am wondering what's the best way to charge the 7135's battery. (I know I won't be able to use the phone, but certainly will need the PDA functions.)

I notice that with those adapter kits, they say not to use them for charging electronic devices (including recharging batteries).
    "One good word is worth a thousand
    pictures."

Re: Charging the battery outside the country

Originally posted by dowtech
    I'll be spending some time in London and Iceland in a couple of weeks, and am wondering what's the best way to charge the 7135's battery. (I know I won't be able to use the phone, but certainly will need the PDA functions.)

I notice that with those adapter kits, they say not to use them for charging electronic devices (including recharging batteries).
    Wow! Talk about perfect timing. I posed almost the exact same question to Kyocera. Below are their responses. Note that although my initial question was the more generic how to get charge my Kyocera 7135 while I am in London, their answer assumed that I wanted to use my current charger in London.

#################

Hello William,

Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless. I understand that you would like to know if you can plug an adapter in the 110 charger to charge your phone while you are in London.

The charger I have does state that it is dual voltage rated. It will take 100-240 volts. To verify we have to same charger, I would ask you to look on the face of your charger to verify it is dual voltage rated. This informatio n will be located next to Input. If it does say 100-240VAC, you can plug a 220 adapter in with no problems.

If your issue is still unresolved, do not hesitate to contact us again. Please refer to case number: xxxxx when responding.

For any future issues, please visit: http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/
    to get instant graphical answers to your questions.

Kind Regards,
    Bonnie
    Kyocera Technical Support
    Support@Kyocera-wireless.com
    Case number: xxxxx

#################

And below is their response after I verified that I had the same dual voltage rated charger as referenced above and wanted to know if there is a specific brand or model of adapter that Kyocera woud recommend.

#################

Hello William,

Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless. I understand that you would like Kyocera to recommend a 220 adapter.

Kyocera cannot recommend or support any third party adapter for the 7135 SmartphoneAs long as it is a physical adapter and not a transformer, it should work with the 7135 Smartphone.

[NOTE:] If the physical adapter causes any damage to the 7135 Smartphone, it will void the warranty for the 7135 Smartphone.

If your issue is still unresolved, do not hesitate to contact us again. Please refer to case number: xxxxx, when responding.

For any future issues, please visit: http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/ to get instant graphical answers to your questions.

Kind regards,
    Bonnie
    Kyocera Technical Support
    Support@Kyocera-wireless.com
    Case number: xxxxx

*All names and brands are property of their respective owners.

#################

I'm not 100% satisfied with their reply but it is something to go on. If I could ask, can you contact Kyocera directly, to. I am thinking that if they see more than one person with the question, they will be more likely to give a more detailed response and/or options.

And please post any replies you get from them.

Administrator
    you will need a step down transformer that has the proper receptacle plug for the was and the proper plug for the american charger.

Originally posted by marctronixx
    you will need a step down transformer that has the proper receptacle plug for the was and the proper plug for the american charger.
    marctronixxx, I would tend to agree with you except for the quote from Kyocera:

As long as it is a physical adapter and not a transformer, it should work with the 7135 Smartphone.

That's what I mean when i say that there response was not the best. For me, it engendered more questions than it answered.

London

You don't need to worry about step-down transformer, because the 7135 power adaptor does work at 240V. I was in London back in July and recharging worked fine; you just need the physical adaptor - should be about 5 bucks, but don't use it to plug in any other electrical device unless you're sure it will do 240V.

Re: London

Originally posted by hitchens
    You don't need to worry about step-down transformer, because the 7135 power adaptor does work at 240V. I was in London back in July and recharging worked fine; you just need the physical adaptor - should be about 5 bucks, but don't use it to plug in any other electrical device unless you're sure it will do 240V.
    What physical adapter did you use and where can we get it?

Since you have actually used your 7135 in London, I follow your advice. I am curious about how long and how often you charged your Kyo. And are there any "gotchas" we should be on the lookout for while we are using our Kyos in London?

Too bad there is no CDMA cellular service in London.

As people have said, you should not need any real transformer or converter since most of these modern switching chargers operate with 100-250VAC (please confirm on your own unit). So all you need is a means to plug the US-style line connector to the UK style -- available at Radio Shack.

Or if you prefer, you CAN you one of those 50watt, LOW-POWER, "for electronics" step-down transformers. However DO NOT use the HIGH-POWER (1000-1500watt) converters. These units are NOT transformers, but are partial-angle-conducting thyristors that generate lots of high-voltage spikes and non-sinusoidal waveforms. The peak voltages are NOT reduced from 240V, only the power cycle. These converters are only to be used on resistive loads that don't care about the nasty output, like hair dryers, etc. Don't use them on your laptop either.

That's great! This is definitely the place to come for answers. I'll be taking the Kyo travel charger (100-140V), so guess all I'll need is the adapter.

Now how about Iceland? Anyone know what they use there?

(William, hope you have a good trip.):angel
    pictures."

oops

Oops, I meant 100-240V.
    pictures."

Adaptors

Bought mine years ago, so can't remember (BTW it also works on most laptops since the transformers tend to be 100-240v in laptops). Just did a search. The first one on this page seems to be similar (no idea on the company or product marketing this, but if you do a web search you'll find a lot).

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...-adapter2.html

If you don't mind tempting Death and want maximum flexibility, I've found carrying a pair of jumper cables to be very helpful (a lifesaver?!?). What I mean is a pair of wires each of which had the ends terminated with alligator clips, preferably with insulating covers.

I remember a hotel in Italy where there were absolutely NO AC outlets of any sort. I had to resort to jumpering a lamp socket to be able to power my laptop... Remember though, 240V can kill you, much more easily than 120V.

Similarly I always carry around an RJ45 phone cable with one of the ends terminated again with alligator clips. Indispensible even in the USA where many hotels still don't have phones with modular jacks and absolutely necessary in Europe if you want some assurance of being able to dial out with your modem...

Re: London

I just recently returned from about four years in Europe including some visits to England and hitchens is on the money. As long as the power adapter lists support for the 240v and from what I've heard here it does (100v~240v), you just need to pick up a product that changes the plug to match up with those used in England (note that some devices have switches from 110/120 to 230/240, but most newer devices do the switching automatically). Actually, I bought a kit from Samsonite that has several plug converters for many different countries that also has small transformer for small devices that don't support the higher voltage. Can't remember the cost, which tells me that's it probably cost less than $50 as I would have remembered anything higher. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks to all -- I think I'm pretty well set. Apparently Iceland uses the Western European standard (the two round prongs), while GB has its own. I'll just get the two adapters, and expect everything should work fine.
    pictures."

Re: Adaptors

Bought mine years ago, so can't remember (BTW it also works on most laptops since the transformers tend to be 100-240v in laptops). Just did a search. The first one on this page seems to be similar (no idea on the company or product marketing this, but if you do a web search you'll find a lot).

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...-adapter2.html
    Thanks for everone's advice and help. I may end up getting the one hitchens recommends but I also was looking at this one from Targus: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA033U.

It is ten times the price but it may be worth it if I travel to enough different places.

Thanks for that link, William. I agree -- looks like a good, lightweight, inclusive solution.
    pictures."

Re: Re: Adaptors

Originally posted by William
    Thanks for everone's advice and help. I may end up getting the one hitchens recommends but I also was looking at this one from Targus: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA033U.

It is ten times the price but it may be worth it if I travel to enough different places.
    The Targus looks like a great device and should do the trick for your phone. It's a little better than what I currently have, which is a bag of connectors from Samsonite that you have put together like an errector set depending on what country your in. The built in surge protection on the Targus unit in definitely a plus as it's not hard to find bad power regardless of your location on the planet. Note that this Targus device isn't a transformer, so you would want to be sure not to use it for a device that isn't capable of 240v or the life of the device you plug in will be short (very short). I killed a few electronic devices in Europe before I figured it out. Since this is just a trip vise a long-term stay, your best bet is to leave anything that's not capable of 240v at home. Again, enjoy your trip. Sure wish I was going. Sure could use a delicous plate of fish and chips.

Targus Travel Adapter

Circuit City has them and shipping is free.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

I'll definitely be looking for it at a local Circuit City or similar -- and, of course, here in New Hampshire there's no sales tax!!
    pictures."

An adapter from Radio Shack

I don't visit Radio Shack much anymore, but I stopped in today and discovered that they have a universal adapter, with surge supresser, that looks exactly like the Targus mentioned above (probably made by them) for just $9.99. Needless to say, I got one for my upcoming trip.
    pictures."

Re: An adapter from Radio Shack

Originally posted by dowtech
    I don't visit Radio Shack much anymore, but I stopped in today and discovered that they have a universal adapter, with surge supresser, that looks exactly like the Targus mentioned above (probably made by them) for just $9.99. Needless to say, I got one for my upcoming trip.
    Thanks for the info, dowtech. I assume you are referring to this adapter: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1445

By the way, I am a former resident of New Hampshire and I do miss not having to pay any sales tax. Almost as much as I miss not having any state income tax. Still have a vacation home near Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Winnisquam, though, so I am still up that way ocassionally.

"Live Free or Die!"