+ Reply to Thread

removing software

I've had the phone for a month now (love it), but the thing is so junked up with sofware and files, my sync times are over a half hour. I put a question in about not syncing all these databases every time, and someone suggested the Hotsync settings, but all I found was settings for syncing with modems and networks. I also would like to know how to permanently delete software, as everytime I delete it on the phone, it's back after the hotsync. I know where all my data folders are, any help?

Re: removing software

Originally posted by Firepole803
    I've had the phone for a month now (love it), but the thing is so junked up with sofware and files, my sync times are over a half hour. I put a question in about not syncing all these databases every time, and someone suggested the Hotsync settings, but all I found was settings for syncing with modems and networks. I also would like to know how to permanently delete software, as everytime I delete it on the phone, it's back after the hotsync. I know where all my data folders are, any help?
    It sounds like you have your hotsync misconfigured. Software deleted from the phone should not come back from a normally configured hotsync. It should end up in your archive folder on the PC. Possibilities: You have conduits configured for PC overwrites handheld instead of synchronize or do nothing, you selected to have files installed everytime you hotsync instead of just the initial installation, etc.

Right click on the hotsync manager icon in your systray. Select Custom..., click on a conduit and select change. Go from there.

When deleting software use the Palm Application manager (launcher) to delete it. The default is to delete associated files for that application too.

It may be time to read the Palm manual,
    -Quick

Re: Re: removing software

Originally posted by Quick
    It may be time to read the Palm manual
    Oh yea, run the installtool on your PC and see if the apps that keep coming back are still there. Normally stuff to be installed will dissappear from the install tool after its been hotsync'd to the handheld.

-Quick

Also...It seems I get a lot of files/databases that illbehaved palm apps don't remove when you delete them from the Palm side. There are ustilities that will clean uporphaned files or you can go the long way about it and look up thier creator ID's in FileZ for example. For the braver and what I have gotten in the habit of doing especially after I've loaded a bunch of apps for evaluation and I'm done evaluating is doing a hard reset and reloading my stuff from there. A lesson learned from living in the untidy world of Windows.
    mg

Conduits

Right click on the hotsync manager icon in your systray. Select Custom..., click on a conduit and select change. Go from there
    Memo pad-sync files
    Appts.- sync files
    Phone book-sync files
    ToDo- sync files
    Mobipocket- sync files
    Install- changed to do nothing
    Install service templates- changed to Do nothing
    Install to card- changed to do nothing
    System- changed to do nothing

Did read the book, more than once, but I didn't (nor do I) understand these settings. Hope I can still install files. I had a Palm Pilot 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm definitely not up on the conduits. I'll read it agan. Thanks all for a timely and helpful response.