+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accessing a Charter Cable email account?

Crazy question I guess...

If you don't use an ISP, but are on so called "high speed?" cable, like Charter, is there a way to get to your email, short of using the browser and web mail runaround?

Thank for your help guys!@

Sure, just pick your favorite Email program on the 7135. Then configure its POP3 settings to the same as you use on your PC.
    Michael

just went from 7135 to 6315.

charter cable email

I'm on charter. They won't allow mail to/from the phone because it doesn't have a static ip address. This is to help them defeat spammers.

I signed up for a free email account at softhome.net and i use it with snappermail so i can send / recieve attachments. Softhome lets you use their pop settings.

It works great. So if you still want to give out a charter email address, set up your outlook with a rule to forward email to a charter address you create for your phone. Outlook can forward to softhome.net and you can email from wherever you are.

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

CHARTER MAIL

Use any email program like Snappermail. I use it and it works fine.

You can also access charter mail at mail.charter.net from any browser and do your mail from there.

Good luck
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Charter email

That sound like a smart solution Kirk!
    I will try it.

<They won't allow mail to/from the phone because it doesn't have a static ip address. This is to help them defeat spammers.>

They are not doing very good job if you ask me!
    I get 3-5 emails from Nigeria daily - all these pepole trying to give me millions of $$ inhereted from some distant relative .....

I set up filter after filter in Outlook, but they keep one step ahead, suckers...

TRY JUST USING SNAPPERMAIL

Try just using snappermail and set the pop account settings to your charter info.

I tried mine again to make sure it was working and it does.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Snapper on Charter

Great! Snapper works like a charm for getting my Charter email, just as you said. But so far I managed to send only to my own email address at charter- when I tried to others, (aol etc.), error message 550 told me that "relaying was denied"... Any solutions?

Thanks

Lubos

Re: Snapper on Charter

Originally posted by snowboarder10
    Great! Snapper works like a charm for getting my Charter email, just as you said. But so far I managed to send only to my own email address at charter- when I tried to others, (aol etc.), error message 550 told me that "relaying was denied"... Any solutions?
    Thanks
    Lubos
    That is the catch. Usually your ISP will let you retrieve your Email from your POP3 server, but they will not let you use the ISP's SMTP server from a "machine" (i.e. your 7135) that's not directly linked to their network. This is to prevent SPAM sending/relaying from outside sources. That is the situation with my ISP, Road Runner. In such case, you have to use a third-party SMTP service. Verizon provides the "mail.airbridge.net" server for SMTP, but they only support it for use with the 6035 SmartPhone, and lately it's been having serious performance problems. There are also rumors floating around that it is going to be decommissioned (taken out of service) in the near future.

I solved my SMTP problem by signing up for a free account at http://www.myrealbox.com (service provided by Novell). So far, I only use their service for SMTP. I do not use the incoming, POP3 mailbox that they provided with the account when I signed up. Though, I might in the future.
    Michael

That sounds good. I can use the softhome.net free accout for SMTP. But when someone replies to my email sent from this SMTP, isn't it going to come to the softhome.net. I would have to monitor that POP as well as charter? That would be a bit annoying.

Another question- is there a good way to monitor when you are connected to the data network (since I am paying per minute?). It is easy to forget to disconnect. I know, I can set the idle time to disconnect in "1-3 or never", but I would like to see somewhere an indicator that I am actually connected and my minutes are " ticking away"

That sounds good. I can use the softhome.net free accout for SMTP. But when someone replies to my email sent from this SMTP, isn't it going to come to the softhome.net. I would have to monitor that POP as well as charter? That would be a bit annoying.
    No, that's not how things work. In the very first setup section in your account configured in SnapperMail (the "Info" section), you have to input your name and your Email address. Put in your Charter Email address!! Don't use the "Reply To address (optional)" field in the "Send" section of the account settings. Setting it this way, any Email that you send will have your Charter Email address that you configured in the "Info" section. Replies will come back to that address, and hence, you only have to check your POP3 account at Charter.

Another question- is there a good way to monitor when you are connected to the data network (since I am paying per minute?). It is easy to forget to disconnect. I know, I can set the idle time to disconnect in "1-3 or never", but I would like to see somewhere an indicator that I am actually connected and my minutes are " ticking away"
    Easiest way to conserve minutes - Set SnapperMail to automatically disconnect when it is done doing a send/fetch operation. If you want to see what the connection is doing at any given time, tap the phone icon in the upper-right corner of the Graffiti area. The phone status screen should show what it's doing. To get back to SnapperMail, tap the phone icon again (it acts as a "toggle switch" between the phone screen and whatever app is running).
    Michael

Michael,

You have been VERY helpful !

I did have it set up as you said for replies to go to Charter. So, I am all set.
    ---------
    On the disconnect issue- where exactly can I find the :
    < Set SnapperMail to automatically disconnect when it is done doing a send/fetch operation> ? I can't find that option...

Thanks again
    Lubos

Michael,

You have been VERY helpful !

I did have it set up as you said for replies to go to Charter. So, I am all set.
    ---------
    On the disconnect issue- where exactly can I find the :
    < Set SnapperMail to automatically disconnect when it is done doing a send/fetch operation> ? I can't find that option...

Thanks again
    Lubos
    You're welcome - happy to help!

To find the disconnect option in SnapperMail, tap on the following with your Stylus:

Menu (lower-left of Graffiti area) -> Options -> Manual Delivery Prefs. Activate the "Disconnect after send and fetch" check box. Tap OK.
    Michael

Done !

How could I've missed that.....

Lubos

Well, I thought I was home free, but nwi I am getting nowhere... Error reading : 552 use the MX host
    ... What does that mean?

charter email

I send all kinds of my emails through snapper/charter without any issues. Im in WV, but that shouldnt have any effect because i use it all over the country.

You might want to try calling your tech support if your still not able to send from snappermail to and from charter's pop account.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Well, I thought I was home free, but nwi I am getting nowhere... Error reading : 552 use the MX host
    ... What does that mean?
    Is that what it says in the connection log??? What is SnapperMail trying to do at the time the error occurs - send with SMTP, or receive with POP3 ???
    Michael

Send with SMTP

Send with SMTP
    I forgot to ask.... what is your SMTP server name set to ???
    Michael

My settings for Charter/Softhome

Settings:
    Page 1
    Your Name: xxxxx
    Email Address: xxxxx@charter.net

ServerOP3=pop.charter.net
    User Name: xxxxxxxx
    PWxxxxx

SMTP Server: mail.SoftHome.net
    User namexxxxxxx
    PWxxxxxxxxx

Server settings :
    POP3
    Use Port 110

SMPT Use Port 25

Nothing else is checked

--------------
    Using QNC network- working fine

Re: My settings for Charter/Softhome

Settings:
    SMTP Server: mail.SoftHome.net
    I did an nslookup on "mail.softhome.net" and "smtp.softhome.net". Their IP addresses are different. Could it be that you are supposed to use "smtp.softhome.net" for sending your Email ??? Try that server name instead of the "mail." server name you have set.
    Michael