+ Reply to Thread

HELP please? Is it dying?

I've had my 7135 since last December on Alltel. It's been working fine until Monday of this week. Now, for some reason, if I play ANY game (I only have Tetris, Pacman, Galax, Froggy, and BlackJack), it locks the phone up completely and I have to soft reset. I've done a hard reset, NOT synched it, and Tetris still locks the phone up. I've hard reset, synched it, and the same happens with whatever game I play. I haven't had any problems with any of the other apps on the phone, "scrubbed" or reloaded w/my few extra apps. I took the battery out of the phone all last night and charged the battery by itself and tried again today. Same thing. Does anyone know what's going on here? Please help. I don't want to get sour on my 7135; I've absolutely loved it so far. I've only had the contrast issue with my phone and that seemed to go away after a month or so. Any suggestions?<br>
    Also, how do I get the Palm desktop to NOT reinstall my programs and just sync the address, To Do, and memo after a hard reset? Please help.<br>
    Ok, I jus synched it again (after taking the battery out all last night, etc.) and this time it locked up just scrolling through my apps. ???

Sounds like it might be dying to me. You might want to investigate a replacement unit.
    Michael

Re: HELP please? Is it dying?

Originally posted by FirstTimer
    Also, how do I get the Palm desktop to NOT reinstall my programs and just sync the address, To Do, and memo after a hard reset? Please help.<br>
    Ok, I jus synched it again (after taking the battery out all last night, etc.) and this time it locked up just scrolling through my apps. ???
    You need to go into the Palm folder in Windows. You will find a subfolder with a name based on your HotSync name, I believe. Mine is named with my last name and first initial. In there you will find the Backup folder. It has all of your apps and settings backuped. You can either delete this folder or rename it. I prefer to rename it so I have it in case I need it. Then resync. The 7135 will create a new Backup folder based on what's on your 7135 and will not reload anything else. This way you can make sure that apps or corrupted files are not reinstalled when you sync.
    Good Luck!

Replacement Unit?

It's still under warranty from Kyocera, I think, until December. These things have a 1 year warranty, right? Has anyone had any experience in getting a replacement from Kyocera under warranty?

In the recent software update, there was mention of improvement in rom overwriting protection. In other words, some apps overwrote part of the rom. Perhaps you had a program write where it should not? Since it is only your games affected, it could be a region of the rom that games are likly to need. (Direct screen control, button interception for control and so on.) If so, having the phone reflashed should fix it.

Just a thought.
    Evan

Went to Alltel w/the issue

Ok, so I went to an Alltel store today to see if they can "reflash" my phone. It took quite a while (nobody really seems to be up on this phone since they hardly sell any of them), but the guy who helped me was determined and really helpful actually. He eventually called Kyocera tech support and they walked us through a few things (updated phone along the way...no contrast issue now it seems!). It turns out that letting the battery drain itself down to where it completely shuts down is not good for this phone. I didn't know that. It may be common knowledge to all of you, but I just ran it out this weekend and I started having troulble Monday night or Tuesday. The Kyocera tech said that could corrupt my software fairly easily. He walked me through my first "real" hard reset and when the phone prompted me to erase all of my software and data, we did it. After all of this I haven't been able to get it to lock up yet, but I haven't been trying REALLY hard either. I'm going to keep testing it for the next day or two withough synching it or putting any 3rd party apps on it, and if all goes well, I'll synch it all back...after I get rid of all the corrupted files it'll synch back. I'll keep everyone posted for those who want to follow this. Thanks so far everyone.

Nope...going back to Kyo

So I tried to get the phone to lock up again yesterday and it started again pretty regularly. I called Kyo today and they said to send it back to them to repair/replace. They claim their turn around time is about 6 days right now, so we'll see. I could get an advance exchange, but the tech I talked to strongly advised against it because it gives them authorization to charge the credit card for any "non warranty" repairs they deem necessary without getting approval first. He used the plastic housing as an example of what could be considered non warranty in some cases, which made me think that if it's scratched, they'd replace it and charge me unless I told them not to. I just want it working again; don't care about the appearance if there's a couple scratches. So, the saga continues.
    By the way, this is the first issue I've had with mine, and it's one of the first ones released w/Alltel. I've had it since December of last year.

kyocera tech support is awesome. It took only a week for them to get my phone fixed and back to me.....and I live in NC (kyocera is in CA)!!!! Send it to them and they will take care of you. good luck!

I had to send mine back today too. Mine also was a AllTel original form 12-02. All worked fine until recently. they flashed now firmware and that made matters worse and caused battery to drain excessively. AllTel kept telling me it was a switching error on their end, turns out the phone was not doing its "checking in with the network". I was told 7-10 days by Kyo tech support. hopefully not that long.
    Im feelin kinda naked at the moment.
    Alan

It's back!

I got my phone back today and all seems to be well. I sent it to them last Thursday (10/30), and got it back today via Airborne Express. The tech said about 6 days and he was right on. I'll reinstall some apps this weekend and see how it is. They even replaced the antenna for me, which had been scratched up a bit from use, etc. Now I also have this program on the phone called Workstyle. I don't know what it is, but it looks like an email app, and I'm sure I can find more info on this board by doing a search. Anyway, I thought I'd let you all know that I did receive it back in the amount of time I was told. I don't feel "naked" anymore, but I sure did before.

Re: Re: HELP please? Is it dying?

Originally posted by Lnoble
    You need to go into the Palm folder in Windows. You will find a subfolder with a name based on your HotSync name, I believe. Mine is named with my last name and first initial. In there you will find the Backup folder. It has all of your apps and settings backuped. You can either delete this folder or rename it. I prefer to rename it so I have it in case I need it. Then resync. The 7135 will create a new Backup folder based on what's on your 7135 and will not reload anything else. This way you can make sure that apps or corrupted files are not reinstalled when you sync.
    Good Luck!
    Just right click on hotsync manager in the task bar, choose custom, then change the settings for install so it doesn't do it - this way your backup files are still there if you need them.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

OK I GOT MY BABY BACK FROM KYO TECH SUPPORT THIS EVENING. 7 DAYS. IT WAS IN A REFURBISHED UNIT BOX, BUT SHE IS MY OLD UNIT. I KNOW EVERY SCRATCH ON HER.
    IM ASSUMING JUST REPAIRED.

ONE MINOR ISSUE...THEY ASKED FOR EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE CHARGERS SO THATS WHAT I SENT.
    BOX CONTENTS:
    PHONE
    NO BATTERY
    NO CLIP.
    I CANT EVEN TELL IF ITS FIXED OR USE IT NOW.
    AND...OF COURSE ITS FRIDAY NITE AND KYO TECH SUPPORT IS NOT OPEN.

I SERIOUSLY HOPE THEY DONT THINK I AM BUYING NEW ONES FROM THEM.

ALAN
    Alan

No problems here

That's odd; the tech I talked to told me to send in my phone, back battery cover and nothing else. He instructed me to keep my battery, SD card, and stylus (they sent another stylus back with my repaired phone). Mine too came back in a refurbed box, but is my original phone, just repaired. That doesn't bother me though, since I didn't pay anything for them to cosmetically refurb the phone. I figure this is their standard box anyway, so they probably have hundreds of these boxes and just use them whenever they need one. So far, I've had absolutely no problems with my repaired phone. The software version is the original I think (Ph software: MZ1.0.44 and PDA Software: SZ 1.0.17), but as long as it's working correctly, I'm not sure why I would/should upgrade it. If there's a reason to do so, please someone explain it to me.
    I'm sorry to hear about your not-so-great repair experience so far pump.

BACK. FIXED BUT NOT FIXED

OK, I GOT IT BACK. OF COURSE I CANNOT CONTACT KYO TECH SUPPORT ON THE WEEKEND ABOUT THE BATTERY AND CLIP, SO BEING IMPATIENT LIKE I AM, I BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY.

ALLTEL LOGGED MY 7135 INTO THE SYSTEM AND THE PROBLEM OF THE TRANSMITTER NOT CHECKING IN IS REPAIRED.

NOW...ALLTEL CANNOT GET THE PHONE PROGRAMMED. I SPENT A TOTAL OF 4 HRS AT 2 STORES LETTTING THE TECHS TRY. THE PHONE HANGS UP ON THE "READING PERAMETERS" SCREEN.

ONE TECH (THE ON THE PHONE PEOPLE) THAT THE STORE TECH WAS TALKING TO SAID TO DOA THE PHONE AND GIVE ME A NEW ONE. BUT BECAUSE SHE DID NOT NOTE THAT IN THE ACCOUNT, THE STORE MANAGER GOT TO MAKE THAT DECISION AND YEP, YOU GUESSED IT, THE ANSWER WAS NO. SEND IT BACK AGAIN. TALK ABOUT GOING FROM A HI TO A LOW.

SO THE SAGA CONTINUES. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO CALL KYOCERA AGAIN MONDAY AND PAY $7 AGAIN TO SEND IT BACK. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL SEND ME THE CLIP AND BATTERY THEY OWE ME TOO. SO FAR NOT TO IMPRESSED WITH THEIR REFURB PROCESS.

ALAN
    Alan