+ Reply to Thread

PDA Defense Professional on 7135

Is anyone using PDA Defense Professional 3.1c (latest version) on the 7135? It is supposed to be compatible with the 7135. Older threads said that previous versions were not fully compatible esp. locking up the phone side when the palm side is locked / unable to answer the phone before voicemail answers.

Any help is appreciated. Please give details.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

I use TealLock myself... version 5.02. I've had it for a couple months, and it works well with the 7135
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Pda Defense works fine, I'm testing it now. With the palm locked, sms msgs display the banner screen ok, and you can answer the phone ok. The phone will not do cid address book lookups with the palm side locked, but that's the same for any program I've seen.

I use PDA Defense Professional (Version 3.1b Build 030724) and have for about 6 weeks now with my 7135 (MZ 1.0.44, SZ 1.0.29) and have occasional hesitation with a white screen before the banner. (My employer requires a pretty wordy one). Like the other responder, incoming calls ring through with a enough time to answer. I had trouble with this even using just the PalmOS "Security" that's in firmware and a few other locking products I tried.

The only issue I have is the automatic inactivity lock after a given time. Mine never locks up if I close the phone on the SMS messaging application. Frequently it doesn't lock on the phone app either. I've had to learn to be at the Palm OS menu or another app like Calendar for the automatic lock to work flawlessly.

EMN
    The biggest problem I had with PDA Defense was that the autolocking feature doesn't reliably lock if you set it for more than 5 minutes. I spoke with the company, and the best guess is that the searching the unit does for a signal prevents it from being inactive long enough to lock. That's too bad, because the locking was the most important feature to me and I don't want it to lock so often that it's a hassle.

They said they were working on it; I'm hoping they'll either fix the problem or allow locking at set times.

EMN
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    I use TealLock myself... version 5.02. I've had it for a couple months, and it works well with the 7135
    I downloaded and tried TealLock, but can't get it to automatically lock the phone either (PDA also doesn't) if I set the time-out to more than 5 minutes. This occurs even if the phone is off and (presumably) not searching periodically for a signal.

Does TealLock's "automatic lock" on idle feature work for you and, if so, what are your settings?

I'm required to lock mine after 2 min. activity and that works except as cited in my earlier post.

Follow - up:

I do find PDA Defense ALWAYS locks correctly at 2 minutes if my phone is off. Your comment on the phone searching function makes sense to me as I find the most reliable way to break PDA Defense is to have it on the SMS application (which requires the phone be on)

We're zeroing in on this....

I've been going back and forth between Teallock and EasyLock (a great hack) for a long time, but am now trying Teallock (v 5.10) again. I must be missing something major. I have it configured to "Allow app (Dialer) to run when locked." If it is locked, and I get a call, I can talk fine, but when done with the call, the 7135 is sometimes totally locked on the phone app. I can move around within the phone app (recent calls, etc), but cannot switch out of it until doing a soft reset. Any ideas?

Easylock is the app I had the most trouble with. Even after deleting it, I had issues with my 7135 until I had it updated 44/29.

EMN
    Regarding PDA Defense: I just received confirmation from Asynchrony that the lastest build of PDA Defense does not resolve the autolock problem. If you set it to lock at 2 minutes, it will be pretty reliable. If you set it longer, it won't. As much as I liked PDA Defense, that was a deal breaker.

Regarding TealLock: I'm looking at this one now. It still has some erradic behavior, but it does seem to reliably lock if I use the "minutes after power off" setting and no others. I'll probably post a comparison of TealLock and PDA Defense, in case anyone's interested, in about a week.

Pdadoc: I ran into the same problem with TealLock you had: If the unit is locked and the phone rings, you can take the call but it's hard getting back to an unlock screen. However, I found that if you go into "Security|Advanced Options" and de-select the "Lock out silkscreen buttons" item, the problem is solved. If the unit is locked and the phone rings, you can get back to the unlock screen by hitting the phone silkscreen button. What other security problems this leaves open I haven't yet determined.

I have the silkscreen button unchecked, but still get problem of requiring soft reset at times when getting phone call while locked. May be related to also using Millikeys (so silkscreen buttons are through Millkeys).