+ Reply to Thread
    sci

How much free RAM, how stable?

Just thought this would be interesting to find out from alot of you. How much free RAM do you maintain on your pda and how often do you get fatal errors or a need to reset. maybe if enough people let us know we'll se a connection to certain amounts of free Ram and the stability issue.

I try to maintain at leas 6.5mb free. The main reason for this is Mapopolis, I use PiDirect and have a 6.5 meg group of maps that I typically open, mapopolis need that amount free or I get 'out of memory' errors and have to reset.

My '35 is very stable, a reset maybe once a week if that. Sometimes more if I'm loading something funky onto it but it sure beats the several time a day I had to reset my old HP 568 Jornada PPC.

I've been running with approximately 2.8 MB free for about a month now. It frequently dips well below that while I read/send my Email with SnapperMail and store messages in it throughout the day. I clear out all the folders at the end of each day 'cause by that time I'm back home and reading/sending Email on my laptop.

Just this morning, I added the hack called "TealMemBrain" to my 7135. It monitors and adjusts the memory stack for programs on the Palm side. Obviously, I've only used it for a very short period of time, but it has already seemed to improve the stability of my 7135!!
    Michael

Mine usually sits ~ 4.5M free, Ive seen no problems. I accidentally let it dip below 3 a little while ago and my stability seemed to decrease.

The only times I ever get resets are when I'm using Avantgo.

Mine is pretty stable and I usually have between 3-4 MB free. I was running around 2MB for a while with no issues.

Originally posted by Michael Rye Just this morning, I added the hack called "TealMemBrain" to my 7135. It monitors and adjusts the memory stack for programs on the Palm side. Obviously, I've only used it for a very short period of time, but it has already seemed to improve the stability of my 7135!!
    I've been using TealMemBrain for 3 days now and it has completely stopped all my resets -- which use to come at least once a day.

I'm now starting to wonder if my reset problems all along were simply the result of having too small a memory stack on a Palm OS running the extra memory load that comes with having a Smartphone. This hack adds to the amount of RAM available for the Palm OS memory stack somehow... So could it be that Teal MemBrain solves the many unexplained problems that's been plaguing many of us 7135 users?

I don't know... but it's sure working well for me!

Mark