+ Reply to Thread

Bay Area (CA) Firmware update

Hello,
    I just bought a AllTell 7135 phone, and hope to have the firmware updated by Verizon.
    Does anyone know of a store in the Bay Area (California) preferably near Fremont or San Jose, that will do this?
    I am striking out so far.
    thanks,
    brad

Redwood City did mine

I had my firmware updated at the Verizon store in Redwood City, 2517 El Camino Real (Target shopping center.)

I got more than a firmware update, though, I got a whole new phone with the latest firmware. Backup Buddy to your SD card and keep the card with you. Target has a decent price on Lexar cards if you don't have one already. Takes about an hour.

Brad: If this is an Alltel phone, why would you want Verizon to upgrade the firmware? If it is just because they can, I, humbly put, do not believe this is fair to the rest of the world. If I was a Verizon customer with a real problem and I had to wait because I non-Verizon customer had the service rep busy, I would be rightfully upset. Please accept my apologies if I don't understand the situation correctly, but go to Alltel for Alltel business or do it yourself. Please do not bother my Verizon customer service rep. Paying customers need him or her.

Thanks and, again, humbly submitted,

Redeye

I would think that Verizon would want to add a new customer, wouldnt' you?
    Besides, I am already a verizon customer.

Brad: You said the key words: "I am already a Verizon customer." I will personally try and convice that service rep to upgrade your phone for you!! I kind of thought I didn't know the whole scoop.

And, no, I don't really think I want the tech guy/gal at the store to do marketing for Verizon. That's up to the web site, sales associates at the Verizon stores and at the 800 no., and their marketing dept. The tech guy/gal at the store I want fixing, upgrading, helping with Verizon phones and I don't want him taking a second helping someone out who has a non-Verizon phone. I think that is plain and simple taking advantage of verizon customers and it makes my rates go up. Let them eat cake!!

Redeye

"cake or death?" I choose cake!

Redwood City upgrade addendum

I did not buy a new phone and they did not tell me it was new. I suspect that they botched the upgrade and so just gave me a new phone after regestering it with their network. It takes about an hour to actually do the flash upgrade, not sure why but that info is consistent with what folks who do it themselves say. My reasons for thinking I got a new phone are that 1> it had a new plastic protector sheet over the Kyocera logo on the front and 2> it was missing the Scotch tape I use to protect the grafitti area. They did not say anything about it; just handed it to me. The upgrade, new phone or not, will wipe out any data on the phone, hence my suggestion that you Backup Buddy to an SD card first.