+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Verizon EN usage from minutes w/out EN plan

Hi there

Read this, and tried it, but I cannot seem to get this working. Is it still possible to use Verizon EN without buying any of the EN plans? Verizon doesn't have a clue about EN-MOU.

This is an excerpt from one of the faqs.

Verizon's high-speed (3g, or 2.5g if you're being technical) data network. (Used to cost extra, and be billed by either the amount of data downloaded, or by a separate minute allowance for EN connections, or as unlimited. It's still possible to buy some EN plans. In addition, at the moment, it's also possible to have your EN usage come out of your regular, voice airtime minutes, with no extra charges. This feature may need to be activated on your account. (Aka EN-MOU, for Express Network Minutes-Only Use.)) Connections around 40-80 kbps (theoretically, burst up to 144kbps-- YMMV).

I don't know what you've tried so far, but simply setting your network connection to the "1x" option and hitting connect should get you going.

If it were me, and I had any doubts about whether or not data was coming from minutes, I would just use it for a couple days and frequently check my usage online, or by dialing #646.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Thankee Robert.

Even without expressly purchasing the plan?

With me, when I do the connect from with network prefs, it says connecting, then I hear a tone, like the tone with the voice recognizer, then it says cancelling.

I've got the settings like the faq, and I did make another connection at 115K as instructed.

I lowered it to 57K and now I get a PPP timeout. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

DMA

Hi there

Shameless bumpage here... sorry!

Originally posted by dma550
    With me, when I do the connect from with network prefs, it says connecting, then I hear a tone, like the tone with the voice recognizer, then it says cancelling.

I've got the settings like the faq, and I did make another connection at 115K as instructed.

I lowered it to 57K and now I get a PPP timeout. Any ideas?
    Are you talking about trying to use the 7135 as a modem here?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Hi Robert,

no, not as a modem, just signing on and using the EN through the phone.

Thanks for the reply,

DMA

All that you have to do is make sure that your account is set up to deduct minutes when connected to EN. You can do this through Verizon Data Support at 800-308-data. They seem somewhat knowledgable about this now, and its not as difficult to get it set up as it once was. Tell them you want the EN feature with no cost. They'll figure it out. Then, you should be well on your way.

Originally posted by eener
    All that you have to do is make sure that your account is set up to deduct minutes when connected to EN. You can do this through Verizon Data Support at 800-308-data. They seem somewhat knowledgable about this now, and its not as difficult to get it set up as it once was. Tell them you want the EN feature with no cost. They'll figure it out. Then, you should be well on your way.
    Thanks... I did try once with support, and they said I would have to purchase an EN plan... So are you sure this can be done with a standard plan, with no EN options on it?

Thanks again,

DMA

Well, just called Data support. They need you to buy the $35 /month additional plan to do this. Am I understanding correctly?

What voice plan is your phone currently on?

Thanks again for the reply... Americas Choice 700 anytime. It has no data provisions, and I currently use the standard 14.4 connect.

So, in order to do this, would I have to switch to one of the data plans, like the Nationalaccess 600?

Thanks,

DMA

I've got AC 400 and use minutes to connect to EN. As a matter of fact, I've got several different users in our company set up just that way. Tell them that you'd like to try it out for a bit just coming from your minutes, and if you like it you'll purchase a plan later. They seem to like that answer better than just wanting it for 'free'.

Heh... is this a schmooze I should start with sales at that number or tech? The tech guy almost laughed at me, and said, "oh no, no no, you must purchase the plan at an additional $35.00 per month"

Perhaps I'll try to work on the sales staff

-DMA

Perhaps with the new plan offerings (ie National Access) something has changed and this is no longer an option. Please keep us updated as to your success or lack thereof. :angel2

I called *611 a couple of days ago to get Mobile Web added to my plan. The salesman offered to give me the Express plan - minutes only- but found out that it wasn't available for my America's Choice plan.
    John H. Boyd

And let me guess, they told you Mobile Web was available for your phone??

Yes, Mobile Web is available. But this wasn't a case of my asking for Express Network and being told it wasn't available. The salesman was going to give me that, and found out that 'they' had changed the conditions to offer it.
    John H. Boyd

So, has Express Network from Minutes officially gone away? Does Verizon no longer offer this option?? What about those of us who already have it, will we unknowingly lose it the next time we make a change to our plans? Guess this is something that I need to find out.

I was told I needed to pay $4.99/mo. for EN access. this would allow me access only. Ussage would be deucted in minutes from my single rate plan. Has anyone found that they can get EN access for free?

$4.99! I'd take that if I could get it... what plan is that?