+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

True USB Cable Driver

My laptop doesn't have a serial port - only USB (I'm running XP). I want to use the True USB Cable I bought from the Kyocera website to both Hot Sync and use as an ExpressNet modem. The problem is when I connect the cable to the phone and laptop I get one of two "Found New Hardware Wizard" messages - that it found "USB Device" or it found "KWC USB to Phone Cable".

My problem is I cannot find the driver for either message either on the Kyocera CD that came with phone or on the website. Anybody have any advice?

Thanks for your help!

this may be what you are looking for

Win XP, 7135, laptop wireless internet

hope this helps

Thanks

The problem I'm having is not discussed in this thread. Here's the problem:

When I connect the crade via USB, the Found New Hardware dialog box detects the cradle by saying "Palm Handheld Detected" and automatically installs the driver and everything works.

But, when I connect the USB True data cable (accessory form Kyocera website), the Found New Hardware dialog box either says "KWC USB to Phone detected" or "USB device detected" and when you press continue, nothing happens and the "Device Installation Unsuccessful" message comes up. I can't find these drivers on the 7135 CD or the website.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

PJH
    I, too, am having a problem connecting my true USB cable (purchased from Dan, so I have every confidence the cable is OK) to my PC (in my case Win2000). It worked for about a week. Then suddenly it started not recognizing the device properly. Device Manager shows USB Device with a yellow circle with an exclamation point inside. The device Properties says that no drivers are installed.

I have tried soft and hard resets, uninstalling/reinstalling the Kyocera USB modem drivers from the CD, with no luck. Tried uninstalling the USB Device from Device Manager and doing the Add Hardware routine, but the Found New Hardware box shows USB Device followed a few seconds later by Unknown device, then it finishes installing, but no drivers are installed. It's kind of like it no longer recognizes the 7135 for what it is. Cradle and other USB devices work fine with the port. The 7135 has been Verizon upgraded to 29/44.

I'm having to lug my cradle home at night since I can no longer use the USB cable to sync. Bummer!

OT: BTW, thanks to all of you guys and gals for all the great help in this and other 7135 forums, which I spend way too much of my life reading. I broke the screen on my HP Jornada 568 in June and decided it was time to look seriously for a converged device. Spent several months before deciding on the 7135. If it wasn't for this forum (after it came back online) I probably would not have chosen this great device. I have some reservations about the Palm OS, but no PPC device met my ergonomic requirements as the 7135 does, and I am glad I chose it. I got it in early September off Ebay, played with the PDA part of it for a couple of weeks (PDA function is more important to me than the phone) to make sure it did what I need it to do, then activated it on Verizon. Aside from this USB cable problem and the inability to find a browser (tried Xiino and WebPro as well as the built-in ones) that allows access to my online banking with World Savings, this baby is super.

try this on your pc:
    *right-click "my network places" go to properties
    *remove anything under dial-up referring to kyocera
    *hold down windows key (just to the right of space bar) then hit
    pause/break key
    *click hardware tab
    *with the phone connected click device manager find your
    exclamation mark and single click on it then click remove
    disconnect you phone then reboot
    *insert the Palm OS Desktop Software CD (if you hold the shift
    key for a few seconds during and after the cd is inserted it will
    bypass the autorun feature otherwise exit once the program
    starts

*with the fax/modem app running and set to data plug the phone
    in it will say found new hardware
    *let the wizard search for a suitable driver
    *specify a location
    *browse into D:7135Modem DriversModem USBWIN 2K then select the file "Kwcdm2k.inf"
    *click "OK"

its worth a shot to remove the drivers and start over

You are the man

Thanks for this very precise, helpful answer. Does your fix apply to WXP also?

I had the same problem on Friday, removed the Drivers that did not work on my pc and reinstalled
    back in bussines
    I have three machines with XP, 2000, NT unfortunatlly found out NT does not support USB
    oh well
    if you have 2000 or XP and you have multiple logins you must be logged in administrative mode
    if you only have one login it is administrative by default

One more question

I don't have a Windows button on my laptop. What do I do?

Ctrl+Esc will do the same thing as the Windows button...
    mg

I had the same problem. I was using the Kyocera USB cable for about a week...as a modem, hotsyncing, etc. (thanks to all on this forum that made those tasks easy!) everything was working perfectly. Then one evening I started getting the unknown hardware, device not recognized errors...just by plugging my phone in. Windows is not supposed to even recognize anything until you're in fax/modem or hotsync mode (fyi I'm using Windows XP Pro).

I hot-footed it over to this forum...followed all the instructions... uninstalled... reinstalled... hard reset... uninstalled... reinstalled... hard reset... uninstalled... reinstalled... hard reset... you name it, I tried it. I even swapped out the generic USB part of the cable... nothing worked.

I finally broke down and called Kyocera tech support. The tech I talked to was very friendly, but didn't have me try anything I hadn't already learned here. The tech suggested that I might have a bad cable (I had already thought that might be the case).

Anyway, I replaced the cable...and still using the same 'ol drivers installed from my previous failed attempt at getting things working...everything worked just fine!

The only thing that was new was the the little Kyocera dongle where the power supply connects into.

With other folks having this problem, I wonder if there may be a problem with this piece?

Ctrl & Esc kind of does the same but it wont work to bring up system properties like the windows key & pause/break will.
    just right click on "My Computer" and go to properties.
    When I had that problem on friday the first thing i did was replace the cable. that did nothing then I removed the driver and reinstalled. everything worked fine after that. maybe this was a different problem causing the phone not to be recognized. maybe one of these suggestions will help ZZLeGrand

PJH
    PNYPWR76 - thanks for the detailed instructions, but, unfortunately I have the same problem: as soon as I plug the cable into the USB port, Windows "finds" a USB Device, not the Kyocera Wireless USB Modem. It then proceeds to automatically attempt to install drivers without allowing me to specify a location. While it's doing that, it flashes up Unknown Device in the Found New Hardware box. After it finishes, it says the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

If I attempt an Add Hardware process, I can get to the point of specifying the kwcdm2k.inf file, but when I click OK, the table of devices to select from is blank.

Installing the serial modem drivers for the cradle works fine. The phone is recognized as a Kyocera Wireless USB Modem.

I'm leaning toward the bad cable idea. I'll make some more attempts, then I may contact Dan about getting a replacement cable. I tried replacing the USB cable portion of the connection with one that a departed employee left behind, but that didn't work. Maybe it was bad. Or it might be the power dongle portion that's bad, as it was for Smylz. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a 7135 to cross-check with.

pjh
    you should be able to force a different driver by going to the drivers tab of the unknown device in the device manager. Then click update driver and choose the appropriate options to allow you to select a driver. The process from here varies depending on the Win OS, (I assume your running some flavor of Windows).
    Also to rule out the data cable issue try going down to your local Verizon store and see if the have one in stock that you could test. My local store was happy to help me do something similar when I was trying to troubleshooting a HF Carkit that pooped out. Some VZW shops use that cable for testing, phones
    mg

PJH
    MGuzzy,

Thanks for the suggestions. Reinstalling drivers doesn't work. The system (W2k) detects the device as a USB Device. If I choose to search for a suitable driver, it bypasses the specified kwcdm2k.inf file and goes right to the winntinfusb.inf file instead because it thinks it finds a driver there that is a closer match for the device it has recognized (a USB device, not a modem). That results in a missing function driver error.

If I choose to display a list of known drivers for this device (instead of searching for a suitable driver), then select Modems, then show compatible hardware, it considers it an Unknown Device; and when I select the kwcdm2k.inf file, it says the specified location does not contain information about your hardware. If I choose to show all hardware of this device class after selecting Modems, then select Kyocera's model, then the kwcdm2k.inf file, the same error appears. It simply won't recognize the 7135 as a modem.

I will take your suggestion and take the cable and 7135 to a Verizonstore - and pray I get someone who knows more than how to spell 7135.

PJH
    Still no resolution...the Verizon store guy said he has no way of testing the USB cable - they use the cradle. Aaarrgghh! However, I have since been able to get the PC to recognize the 7135 when fax/modem is in data mode and I connect the cable to the PC, so the cable may be OK after all. I can successfully update the drivers with the ones on the CD and can run the modem diagnostics, so there is communication as a modem.

But, I can't use the cable to hotsync. When I exit fax/modem to go to HotSync, the modem disappears from Device Manager and the USB Device shows up in the USB Controllers list in Device Manager with no drivers installed and, as previously posted, no way to get the modem drivers installed to that USB Device because the system insists it is a USB device, not a modem. The only time it recognizes it as a modem is if it is in fax/modem data mode.

Is there some special order to connecting the cable and launching the HotSync app on the 7135? Or special settings in the Hotsync manager?

BTW, this happens on three different win2k and one XP machine, so it's not PC related.

Thanks in advance for any further suggestions.

why do you want to have the phone recognized as a modem during a hotsync? right click the hotsync icon lower right on your pc and make sure local usb is checked and make sure the phone hotsync app is set to local and cradle/cable. you have to use the phone hotsync icon in the app. everything you said happens to your pc happens to mine and everything works fine. unless you are using the 7135 to dial (in fax/modem) out it won't be recognized as a modem.

PJH
    When I set the HotSync manager to Local USB and the 7135's HotSync app to Local and Cradle/Cable and then plug in the cable, the PC automagically installs the USB Device with the yellow circle/exclamation point. When I tap the HotSync icon I eventually get the error that a connection could not be made.

Sorry about the confusion on the modem discussion. I was just reporting the sequence of events. Since a previous post had given instructions about installing the modem drivers, I didn't know if they were needed for the USB HotSync.

PJH
    I still haven't figured out my problem, so I am hoping someone who has hot-synced via the true USB cable would be kind enough to let me know the following:

When you connect the cable to the PC and 7135 in hot-sync mode (not fax-modem mode), does a new device show up in the USB section of the Device Manager? If so, what is the name of the device and what is the driver information?

When I connect, I get a generic USB Device added to Device Manager with a yellow circle and exclamation point, but no drivers are installed so it doesn't connect when I try to hot-sync.

Again, there is no issue when using the cable as a fax-modem. I can use that feature with the drivers I installed from the CD. But, I can't find any non-modem USB drivers on the CD.

Thanks.

pjh
    last night when i got home i hotsync'd via the true usb cable and looked in the device manager after i started the hotsync ( nothing showed up untill after i started the hotsync) it wasn't under usb devices, as soon as i started the hotsync another icon came up "PALM HANDHELD DEVICE" i double clicked the icon and then "KYOCERA" was listed. i went into add and remove hardware too see what was listed and there was a palm handheld device listed as possible devices to add. it didn't matter if the phone was plugged in or not. maybe this could help:

kyocera software

PJH
    PNYPWR76,

Thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately, reinstalling the drivers from the Kyocera Software download site didn't change a thing. As soon as I plug in the USB cable, the PC detects a USB Device, then Unknown Device and installs it without any drivers.
    I manged to install the PalmUSBD.inf and .sys files via add/remove hardware, so now a Palm Handheld OS Devices -> Kyocera Handheld device shows up in Device Manager, but it, too, has a yellow circle with exclamation point. It does have drivers, though. The reason for it not functioning is that The device cannot start. I would think this driver should recognize the 7135 when cable is connected, but it doesn't.

Time to look for another Verizon store - one that has a support tech with some 7135 experience. I really think the 7135 has a problem announcing itself to the USB drivers.

Thanks for all your help. I'll post if a resolution is found.