+ Reply to Thread

Virus Protection - needed?

A recent version of Norton Antivirus included a add-on for PDA viruses. I downloaded onto my 7135 but have not heard of anyone getting a virus on their PDA, and virus updates seem to be non-existant.

Are the crashes that we experience just part of Palm Hell, or could they be viruses?

Has anyone else considered adding anti-virus protection to their 7135's?

Re: Virus Protection - needed?

Originally posted by SmartDevil
    A recent version of Norton Antivirus included a add-on for PDA viruses. I downloaded onto my 7135 but have not heard of anyone getting a virus on their PDA, and virus updates seem to be non-existant.
    Are the crashes that we experience just part of Palm Hell, or could they be viruses?
    Has anyone else considered adding anti-virus protection to their 7135's?
    No. but I had a good chuckle when I saw that Norton was selling antivirus for Palm OS... Just goes to show that they're not above capitalizing on hype and selling you something you have *absolutely* no need for. Ever heard of a confirmed virus for Palms? I wonder what they check for? I wonder if they have you regularly update an empty signature file? Most palms are not connected and even if they were why would you bother writing a virus for them? You're not going to take down the internet, you're not going to make a statement to Bill Gates, your virus will never be famous... I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a time you will need virus protection on your Palm.

just my opinion,
    -Quick

Johnathen Lieber
    mcaffe (sp?) has included a scanner for palms for sometime now.

Though I would like to point out a couple of things, mcaffee discovered the first palm based virus around sept 25, 2000. Only it was found in a 'controlled' enviroment (I read this as they/or someone wrote it to see if it could be done) and that no 'sightings' outside the controlled enviroment have been found at that time. Since then I don't know.

On a second note, virus(es) can be written for most any O/S. But as of late, most if not all virus written are geared towards a specific 'flaw' within an O/S (specifically Windows).

I've not checked out the virus utilities for the Palms. I kinda of feel like Quick, "What viruses for the Palms?" That said, I hope these virus utilities scan for virus that would infect the PC that they sync with. In a sense though there are no "Palm" viruses a PDA could be a vector (carrier) for one. Especially with many Palms now being equiped with SD cards that carry files other than Palm OS stuff....
    mg

Originally posted by linuxnut
    On a second note, virus(es) can be written for most any O/S. But as of late, most if not all virus written are geared towards a specific 'flaw' within an O/S (specifically Windows).
    Sure. but think about the motivation for writing a virus. You are targeting a manufacturer, or a business, the internet, or you are going for notoriety. Unless you have a specific target you are looking for volume/large scope. Palm users just don't make it onto the radar screen (even if they were all connected). Palm doesn't seem to be a popular target of people's anger/frustration either. Even as an intermediary Palms generally don't have the horse power or the connectivity to links capable of flooding the internet or anything else with anything.

-Quick

I have Symantec's AV software. They have 4 virus signatures identified. They are:
    Palm.Liberty.A (T)
    Palm.Phage.A (V)
    Palm.Vapor.A (T)
    Palm.MTXII.A (T)

(T) = trojan, (V) = virus

I have not researched the extent of damage these malicious codes could could wreak. I also have not come accross any infected files. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Larry
    XV6900/Treo700w/Samsung I600/Kyo7135

I had symantec for my 6035 when that first came out (6035) and have never updated my virus def's (almost 3 years)and they are exactly the same as the ones X026092 posted. i wouldn't be too worried