+ Reply to Thread

Request for backlight hack

At 0330 this AM I thought of something that would make my life easier. After being paged the 3rd time and trying to add another patient name to my ToDo list w/out the graffitti back light and failing miserably, I searched and didn't find what I'm looking for.

Could a hack be created that would keep the graffitti backlight light on from 1100-0500 when the phone is open? Could this be separate from the phone pad light? Did I miss something when I looked at backlight hacks and info.

At the moment I don't use any hacks (and my phone is very stable) but I'd chance it not to have to go turn the light on to use the graffitti pad...

Thanks in advance!
    Here, have a clue. No, take two, they're small.....

sci
    Others have been looking for something like this to no avail... I'd personally love it if a hack or something could be made to allow for more control over the graffiti backlight.

I do have another idea that might help you though. Try TealEcho. It's a hack that whenever there is pressure on the silkscreen will display a digital representation of the graffiti pad on the bottom of your screen. The main reason I got it was because I could see what my graffiti strokes looked like an it helped with accuracy. However I noticed a nice benefit when writing in the dark. Assuming I could see my phone enough to hit the graffiti pad at all, with TealEcho I could see where in the graffiti pad I was touching and I found it much easier to write even though I couldn't make out the graffiti pad itself enough to tell where letters ended and numbers began.

It's a little hard to explain adequately. Just try the demo and you'll see. You'll need a hack manager..

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/x-master.shtml

it's free and very stable.

Then you'll also need the TealEcho demo..

http://tealpoint.com/softecho.htm

there are some screen shots on Tealpoints website. I've had no problems with stability since running TealEcho incase your worried about using a hack.

Give it a try and let us know if you find it helps.

pzc
    How about this:

- In Prefs Phone > Keypad set Keypad Backlight to 30 sec (max available) for night and off for day

- At night, whenever the backlight light goes out do one of the following:

1. flip the cover, or
    2. hit the light on/off button twice, or
    3. tap twice on phone icon in the graffiti area, or
    4. hit the red phone button and then tap on phone icon in the graffiti area

Each of the above will turn the light back on for the next 30 seconds without messing up you application.

Originally posted by pzc

- At night, whenever the backlight light goes out do one of the following:

1. flip the cover, or
    2. hit the light on/off button twice, or
    3. tap twice on phone icon in the graffiti area, or
    4. hit the red phone button and then tap on phone icon in the graffiti area

Each of the above will turn the light back on for the next 30 seconds without messing up you application.
    Use the CLR button, it will turn the light off and doesn't do anything in most apps. You only have to hit it once.

Nick.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Or you could use GraffitiAnywhere and just write directly on the screen...

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&sid=C83E8738-CD99-48EE-9BDB8D98C83B1D96&prodID=45227

The BigO

Thanks All.... I'll have to try each.

(as for hitting the phone icon, I can't see diddly on the graffitti area in the dark, I've taken to bending the screen over to see the graffitti pad in the light of the main screen, but then can't see the screen to see what I'm writing!)

Originally posted by BigO
    Or you could use GraffitiAnywhere and just write directly on the screen...

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&sid=C83E8738-CD99-48EE-9BDB8D98C83B1D96&prodID=45227

The BigO
    Or Jot from CIC. Not freeware but the demo will still allow screen graffiti to be displayed after the eval period.

http://www.cic.com/products/jot/

mg

pzc
    Or try NewPen:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/newpen.shtml

It's free and I just tested it on the 7135 - works great. Allows writing on the main screen and shows the stroke pattern.

With the right launcher (ex: HBX) it essentially eliminates the need to use the graffiti area all together.

period

How do you do a period in GraffitiAnywhere?
    What the other programs, is a period hard to do?

Thanks again for all the input. Last night I tried the easiest of the suggestions: press the clear key! This worked like a champ. I have d/l some of the other programs but have not yet installed.

I do believe in the KISS axiom (keep it simple, stupid) and Nick's solution wins the KISS award of the day.

I'll try some of the others so, thanks again everyone for making my life a bit less annoying!
    :blue

In order to put a period, I believe you need to make two strokes up and to the left, like this:

The BigO

thanks BigO, any other cool things I should know?

Nope. Not much else I know about the program; the instruction manual isn't that great, so what I've done in the past is look at manuals for other similar programs. Usually the strokes are the same.

The BigO

Alright, I installed GraffittiAnywhere (free from freewarepalm.com) and this works very, very well.

It has the advantage of being able to use the entire top screen for graffitti (I like to write big) and my accuracy has increased as well as you can see what you're writing.

I still use the clr key to light up the graffitti pad but now only to find where to hit to exit a program, pull a menu, change brightness, ect.....

Again, thanks everyone for their input!

pzc
    Osteo,

Do you have any problems writing two-stroke capital letters like K, I(i), T or X in Graffiti 2 using GraffitiAnywhere?

I am having a really hard time entering them with GraffitiAnywhere.

Good questions! When I posted, I didn't encounter the multi stoke letters yet. First disable single tap recognition in the activation tab, this is the key for the "I". I think I've mastered the I and i, the T and t, but have no clue on K and k or X and x yet. I'll let you know if I get a clue on these.

Good luck!

pzc
    Originally posted by Osteo
    Good questions! When I posted, I didn't encounter the multi stoke letters yet. First disable single tap recognition in the activation tab, this is the key for the "I". I think I've mastered the I and i, the T and t, but have no clue on K and k or X and x yet. I'll let you know if I get a clue on these.

Good luck!
    Well, for now I moved to NewPen. No problems at all with two stroke letters. But do keep me posted.