+ Reply to Thread

Freezing caused by overcharging

Local Verizon store advised me that phone lockup/freezing for long periods (10 - 30 seconds) is caused by overcharging battery. I always have phone on and I used to plug in all night long and cradle all day long at work.

This sounds like bs to me, but I'll try it for awhile.

Michael

Administrator
    sounds suspect to me... i dont see how the battery can cause any issues with the phone...

once the battery reaches full charge, it trickles the battery..it doesnt overcharge...

...to be continued... :drink3

Originally posted by marctronixx
    sounds suspect to me... i dont see how the battery can cause any issues with the phone...

once the battery reaches full charge, it trickles the battery..it doesnt overcharge...
    nixx is absolutely correct. Unless something is malfuctioning, leaving the phone on the charger cannot cause those symptoms.
    Dave

My 7135 has been left on 99.99% of the time during the 9+ months I've owned it, and I've let it charge overnight, every night since the day I got it. I've never seen any problems like that.

Sounds like another clueless rep to me.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Freezing caused by overcharging

Originally posted by mjposner
    Local Verizon store advised me that phone lockup/freezing for long periods (10 - 30 seconds) is caused by overcharging battery. I always have phone on and I used to plug in all night long and cradle all day long at work.

This sounds like bs to me, but I'll try it for awhile.

Michael
    There is some circuitry in the phone (battery) or charger that prevents the battery from overcharging. It's been mentioned here on the forum a billion times and its in the liturature somewhere (I don't recall exactly where). You go back to that Verizon tech and slap him/her around a bit, sorry just got done watching the Sopranos. :p

BTW welcome to the forum.
    mg

Overcharging Batteries

Robert K................

I don't know why you say that about the Verizon Tech guys.

They seem pretty knowledgable to me.

I went to my local Orange Verizon store, and the tech services representative told me that overcharging the batteries makes the telephone decals fall off the hard buttons.

LOL!! :lol3

Re: Overcharging Batteries

Originally posted by Schavlan
    I went to my local Orange Verizon store, and the tech services representative told me that overcharging the batteries makes the telephone decals fall off the hard buttons.
    Yea...and if you do it too often you'll go blind too!
    Dave

Re: Overcharging Batteries

Originally posted by Schavlan
    Robert K................

I don't know why you say that about the Verizon Tech guys.

They seem pretty knowledgable to me.

lol... good one

Overcharging? Hmmmm.

Maybe that's what's keeping the little flap over my headset jack from staying closed??
    "One good word is worth a thousand
    pictures."

Re: Overcharging? Hmmmm.

Originally posted by dowtech
    Maybe that's what's keeping the little flap over my headset jack from staying closed??
    I think you might be onto something there :p

freezing

That's is (of course) what I thought, but guess what, it is not freezing as much. Beats me but magic sometimes trumps science.

Michael

verizon rep said 7135 has faulty software

i have had my kyocera 7135 smartphone for a few months now. in the beginning, i loved it although it froze frequently. i then discovered that it was just like an desk/laptop computer. the software could not handle frequent usage and performed poorly on low battery. the phone would not sync with my laptop and i initially thought it was my fault. i didn't suspect that the software was faulty and never pursued transfering files to the kyocera computer desktop. one day, my phone froze and no matter what i pressed, nothing worked. it did this several times on a charged battery, not that a low battery should be such a big deal. i had to take out the battery and/or unplug the phone just like when a pc freezes. the phone would start setup processes all over again, erasing all previously inputed personal data. considering that i had only had the phone slightly less than two months at this point, i did not have a back up and so all was lost. even after erasing my data, the phone continued to shut down, the screen would go black with just a faint image hardly discernable in the background and no buttons could be pressed. it then stopped working completely and i had to take it back to verizon. the rep told me that the phones had software problems and that they could not be fixed. rather, they had to be replaced with brand new phones and the software had to be upgraded. there are a few noticable changes, including how the k, i, and t's are written with the stylus. two stroke letters are now used. also, my scientific calculator was not on the new phone. this was a major dissapointment(if anyone knows how i can get another, please email back). the new phone began freezing only four days after i got it. it has yet to erase though but luckily, it now syncs through the cradle, but not infa red. i find that this new phone does not function well on low battery and needs 2 or more bars to prevent restart. even when plugged into the car charger with 1 or less bars, the phone will drop calls and the screen will keep the last image, whatever that may be until you disconnect all power supplie. i was told that swapping the phone again would result in 1)the same mishaps, 2)kyocera is not recalling, 3)and the only option is to downgrade and lose money. if anyone has run into similar problems, please email me. i am a journalist and am looking for individuals to interview on this topic. success stories are also welcomed if you have had the pone for more than 3 months without problems.

Overcharging

I've owned my 7135 for about a year. I've never had a problem leaving it in the 110V charger for days, However, when I charge it in the car and leave it on the charger too long, it freezes up and sometimes I have to do a hard reset to get it going again. This has happen 5-6 times.
    Glenn

Car Charger Resets

57guy

Is it a Kyocera OEM Car Charger ??

I had a hell of a time with the same thing happening to my 6035. In the posts on the 6035, a lot of people had the same problem and it was traced down to non OEM car chargers not functioning properly.

When I bought my 7135, I made sure to only use Kyocera branded accessories to avoid that.

No
    I don't think its an OEM car charger. I didn't think it made a difference. I think I will order the OEM. Right now, I only leave it on the battery charger around 15-20 min
    Glenn

Only order your OEM 7135 accessories through Dan. Otherwise you are just throwing your money away.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Who's Dan?

you need something get it here !!!Dan's cell phones

he is also a menber of this board

Thanks!