+ Reply to Thread

My story of replacing my defective original 7135

O.k., so here's the deal...

As many of you know, I loved my original 7135 that I have had since last January. But many months ago, the "zero" button on the touchpad just stopped working. So for what seems like forever, while dialing a number by hand, I would use the normal phone touchpad numbers until I needed to dial a "zero", and then I would have to draw it in the graffiti area. A huge pain.

So after much procrastination, about a month ago I called Kyo tech support, explained the situation, we did a hard reset and some hardware tests and the "zero" key still didn't work.

So they fedEx Overnighted me a new 7135 (the package says refurbished, but it seems brand new in every way to me. Not even a speck of dust on it. I got it, put my SD card in it and had BackupBuddyVFS do a restore into the phone, called Verizon to have my phone service transfered to it and I was set.

Kyocera even included, instructions on how to ship the old one back to them, a prepaid shipping label, bubble wrap and even a strip of tape to seal the box! It also had a phone number to call to have the shipper pick the package up at my house!

I couldn't have been happier with the whole transaction and because it was covered by the warantee, I didn't have to pay a cent, or use my Verizon insurance.

And no big-ass "Verizon" logo on the beautiful shiney front of my 7135. Since Kyocera knew that my original phone was through Alltel, they sent me an Alltel replacement. Yay!!!!:angel2

And best of all, I now have a brand new phone with the latest firmware (not like the original buggy fw that I had that was put out last December).

AND, for some reason, many, many months ago, on my old phone, my Vindigo, SnapperMail & DateBK5 all stopped working and would merely do the inverse lock up/crash everytime I tried to use them. So all my favorite and expensive apps were useless for me. But when I transfered them to the new phone, they now work perfectly! It is sooooo nice to have all 3 of them back again.
    They probably just needed to be hard reset, but I had tried hard resets on the old phone and they didn't seem to help.

My only complaint (and it is extremely minor) is that I now have Graffiti2 and I like the original much better. But I am not complaining, because it was well worth it.
    Last edited by Markito; 12-23-2003 at 03:31 PM.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Well, it's about friggin time you told us about this! :p

Does your 7135 have the Alltel logo below the screen? Or do you have the 7135 sticker? My replacement had the Alltel logo... but it was just a sticker so I peeled that thing off right away
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

My original one had "7135" below the screen, but my replacement has "Alltel" there. I was tempted to remove it, but wasn't sure what I'd find underneath.

After you removed the "Alltel", does it say "7135" or is there nothing and it looks like something is missing?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    My original one had "7135" below the screen, but my replacement has "Alltel" there. I was tempted to remove it, but wasn't sure what I'd find underneath.

After you removed the "Alltel", does it say "7135" or is there nothing and it looks like something is missing?
    Underneath the sticker is a charcoal metallic gray the same as the rest of the casing. It actually looks really nice without the sticker! (lots of the early 7135 marketing pics showed it without the sticker). Get rid of that Alltel sticker man! (it peels right off... you just need to find a way to get it started... avoid sharp objects. I think I used my fingernail).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Markito

There's nothing under the Alltel label, at least on my phone (same one I got in Nawlins staggering between my hotel and Bourbon St).

Oo, I may have to figure out how to send pictures from the SD camera directly to the board while I'm there again in Feb... just to make y'all jealous...

Glad to hear your zero is back in business. It doesn't sound as though your replacement phone is the 7135i. Is it?
    Dave

my old 7135 (from start of the new year) was having a hard time with 0's too. Once when my client was here we had to make a conference call and my 0 just would not work! finally it worked after lots of pressing harder and harder (which probably made it worse in the long run). About aweek or so after that my backlight button didn't work, then a week or so after that my phone stopped receiving phone calls and the voice mail indicator didn't appear. That was a bummer because I could make calls fine, so it took me to almost the end of the day before I realized that my phone was not working right. I tried hard resets & everything else, but same thing.

I took it into verizon and they upgraded the firmware, and he made a call from it and said, "okay it works now", so I said "good, now making a call TO it" and of course that still didn't work. so he replaced it for me under warranty, but I should have gone thru Kyo because now I have that nasty huge verizon logo painted on the outside cover! But the phone works much better anyway (it's the latest firmware, taller antenna version)

Originally posted by dwdod
    Glad to hear your zero is back in business. It doesn't sound as though your replacement phone is the 7135i. Is it?
    Must not be, because it has the same exact antenna as my old one.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Markito,

I had the same problem as you did.

I just got off the phone with Kyocera's warranty dept, and they want me to send the my phone back to them for a period of 1-2 weeks to get fixed.

So I would be phoneless for half a month.

How did you get a replacement phone sent to you, before you had to send your original phone back?

Thanks a ton!

Originally posted by sfvosbury
    Markito,

I had the same problem as you did.

I just got off the phone with Kyocera's warranty dept, and they want me to send the my phone back to them for a period of 1-2 weeks to get fixed.

So I would be phoneless for half a month.

How did you get a replacement phone sent to you, before you had to send your original phone back?

Thanks a ton!
    I just went through this today with Kyocera, and asked them the same question. Was told that is a separate program (I forget the name he called it), and that I COULD do it, if I gave my credit card (they will put a $700+ hold on it). They are going to send a refurbushed unit, and when they get mine, I will be charged for damage to my original phone that they have to repair. Broken keys, damaged LCD, etc. Was told that "cosmetic repairs( scratched case, normal wear on the graffiti pad) will cost me about $50.

I decided that it is worth is for what will essentially be a new phone. Am waiting for my replacement right now...

Problem with my old phone discussed at:

Frequent need to *228 my 7135

Yep, that's what I did. Since my almost year old 7135 was in mint condition (except for the "zero" key not working) because it is always in my front pocket when not in use, they didn't even charge me the $50 because there was no wear-and-tear.
    Good luck with it.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Interestingly, I just called Verizon this morning because the "0" key stopped working on the keypad this past week.

I just dialed "611" was told to press "0" for tech support (D'OH!!!), and within two minutes I had a real human being fedexing me a replacement 7135.

I'll report back on its condition and such, but it was far less painful than my reading here led me to beleive.

-Warr

WOW! I just did the same thing. I had already received a RA number from Kyocera, but after reading the above post, I figured I try Verizon.

I called Verizion (611) and then hit Zero for Customer Service. I told the rep that I was getting frequent White Screens and Frequent crashes. She looked up my account to see how long I had the phone (since August) and then said I could get an express replacement. She first told me to go to a local store and show them the problem and they would swap it out. I then asked her if my local store would have phones in stock with the recall and all... She then said "Oh...that's right. Then I can handle that for you sir."

No cost.
    No credit card.
    They are Fed-exing a replacement out (3-4) business days and then I return my old phone in the same box. They pay for the return shipping!

I'm a happy camper right now.

Very happy with Verizon!

Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup 7135 TheBeachBoy's Avatar
    I will also have to have mine replaced since the "0" key also stopped working on my beloved. How much cosmetic damage can you have before they charge for it? I don't have any wear on the screen or graffiti area since they've been covered since day 1 (well, possibly day 2). I have some light scratching on the metal part of the front, but nothing too bad, just a little wear from rubbing inside my pocket when I walk. If they would charge me $50 because of that, I'd consider trying to poslish it (if it doesn't ruin it). But I've noticed that it may not be metal, but rather plastic, so the polishing may be out of the question. But other than that, it's fine. Anybody have any comments or previous experience with that?
    Last edited by TheBeachBoy; 01-15-2004 at 12:34 AM.
    TheBeachBoy

--The World's Greatest Drummer--
    Drummer for the Fondells