+ Reply to Thread

Routine Maintenance?

Can anyone here tell me what happens to the 7135 when it does a "routine maintenance"? What procedures are occurring?
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Re: Routine Maintenance?

Originally posted by scarborr
    Can anyone here tell me what happens to the 7135 when it does a "routine maintenance"? What procedures are occurring?
    This only happens after a hard reset and is normal.

Incorrect. I had this happen when I didn't reset the phone. I forget my last action as it happened a while ago. The end result was that all data was lost (same result as hard reset.) I Hotsynced to restore all of my data. I now have a SD card backup as well as my desktop. I recommend a SD card for anyone with lots of data, away from home, and without facilty to modem sync to the desktop.

Multiple answers

downz;

RMSko was correct in his response to your question. You identified a dialog box that appears each time after a hard reset of the 7135.

While you may have observed this dialog box after a different function, that does not make him incorrect.

I am at a loss to what you observed if it did not occur after a hard reset. While I have seen exactly what you described in the six months I have had my 7135, it has occurred only after a hard reset.

To avoid future "incorrect answers" you might include a little more information regarding the circumstances surrounding your question.

I would be interested to know if others have observed the "routine maintenance" dialog box at times other then after a hard reset.

Your recommendation to others to backup their data is always sound advise. Most horror stories in this forum include "I lost all my data" which always means there was no backup made before the crash.

Hope you get your answer.

Regards;
    bcottun

You CAN inititate routine maintenace (without doing a hard reset or wiping out any data) by simply going to phone application and

1. typing six 1's (111111)
    2. scroll down and select OPTIONS
    3. select SERVICE INTERFACE
    4. then select RESET

The 7135 will then reset itself and perform routine maintenance. I am of course interested in knowing what processes are occurring during this maintenace.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Originally posted by downz
    Incorrect. I had this happen when I didn't reset the phone. I forget my last action as it happened a while ago. The end result was that all data was lost (same result as hard reset.) I Hotsynced to restore all of my data. I now have a SD card backup as well as my desktop. I recommend a SD card for anyone with lots of data, away from home, and without facilty to modem sync to the desktop.
    Direct human intervention is not a requirement for a hard reset.

Routine Maintenance

Downz;

My guess is it is going to take a Kyocera programmer to tell you exactly what processes are gong on during the routine maintenance using the proceedure you described.

After a hard reset the phone OS installs some default files to RAM to complete the configuration of the phone so the native applications will run.

My guess is it does much the same thing when you manually reset the phone using the service interface. The OS probably checks to see if certain file names exist, if not, it writes them to RAM.

The reset may also require the phone to check to see if there is a memory card installed. If so, it could also check to see if the Palm/launcher directory is installed so the phone can access apps and files stored there.

Hope this helps,
    bcottun

thanks for the input.

Originally posted by PalmNut
    Direct human intervention is not a requirement for a hard reset.
    Of course it is. I said incorrect because the response was that it ONLY happens during a hard reset, which does imply user intervention. No different from hard/soft boots (desktops/laptops.) I used to work for Palm OS support.

This happened before I got my card. I know what happens, I just can't explain why it did. I can only assume third party software but I haven't changed any configuration since and its been smooth sailing.

Incorrect

Downz;

I think I responded to your "incorrect" because it seemed to me to be so abrupt, not specifically because RMSko was right or wrong.

We are all helping one another and sometimes it helps to take the edge of a pointed reply if other points of view are offered.

Respectfully;
    bcottun

Angry routine maintenance

My 7135 was working fine for 18 months. But over the last two weeks it did a hard reset all by itself while I was on the phone talking. The "Routine Maintenance' message comes on just the same as after a hard reset and all data is lost. I have a backup but still I am wondering if that is the beginning of the end? Should I look for a new phone? Can this be fixed???

I would consider it an anomaly.

I am on my second 7135 and rarely have spontaneous hard resets, fatal exceptions, or strange battery drains. I keep a note under the charger-base logging these anomalies and haven't had one since July (I'm probably overdue).

However, my first 7135 got the dreaded SRCP after a year. The replacement have survived over a year now.

Good luck!
    Last edited by NEWireless; 12-09-2005 at 12:44 PM.

obplastics, before the hard reset while talking, how often were freezes coming? I had a major crash like that 8-9 mos ago, and it was because I was inexperienced. I was getting freezes daily or more because I was using the 1X connection on the internet, playing the included mp3 player, etc & never doing maintenance soft resets. The Kyo tech support told me that I was creating a buildup (think heart-attack buildup) & eventually it blew. Like Silverdragon & MGuzzy recommend, I have started each day with a soft resent since then & have never had aprob since - 2 phones now. (But I have had over a dozen freezes on the new phone, so I'm glad I read about this since it reminded me to do a hard reset & restore in order to avoid a full-on crash)