+ Reply to Thread

Problem with moving data to external card

Just got my phone, and am getting familiar with it.
    I have a 128 meg SD card installed on my 7135, with working programs on it.

I use a program called WWCalc (a weight watcher's calculating program).
    There are a lot of resturant databases.
    When I try to install them on the SD card, they never show up. I use a List program http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=1275 as instructed by the program author.

Any ways, the databases only appear (in the List program or WWCalc) when installed on the internal 7135 memory (not the SD card). Even when I use filemanager to move a resturant database over to the SD card, the List or WWCalc doesn't see the moved database. the List program is installed on the SD Card.

Any ideas about what i could do to fix this problem? The databases can get big.
    thanks!
    Brad

bpollard
    Welcome to the site if you've not been so welcomed! In order for the launcher on the palm to see apps and on the sd card, they must be in the PalmLauncher folder on the SD card. Some applications will create their own folder to store thier associated files. photos applications ususally look in the DCIM folder and mp3 applications usually look in the Audio folder.
    mg

thank you sir!
    Can you recommend how to create that directory structure on my SD card?
    thanks,
    Brad

also, once I get that structure set there, do I move the database files (.pdb I think) or the List program?
    thanks!
    Brad

The directories will be created the first time you use the card, and you should start with both the APP and data in the PALMLauncher folder
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I recommend you use a file management app called FileZ to manage your SD card files, its better than the built in file manager and best of all its free. search the Palm software sites for it. Most applications that can store their files to the SD card will set that up for you. Ie quickoffice creates a folder called QuickOffice in the Palmprograms folder. Mappopolis will create a folder PalmProgramsMapopolis to store its maps but they run from the Palm RAM. Other apps can put in the PalmLauncher folder and can be run from thier. It's just a process of trial and error to find out which apps will run that way and how well they run from the card. Hope this helps.
    mark

Hey,

I'm having the same problem as well, but with mapopolis. I've loaded mapopolis, and several maps onto the SD card, in the Launcher folder. Mapopolis app shows up just fine. But it cannot locate any maps, even though it is is the same folder (Launcher)

Just tried using Filez to move map files to a new directory. This caused palm to freeze.

Specifically, I set up a new folder "Maps" inside the Launcher folder (Palm/Launcher/Maps). Then I tried moving a map into the "Maps" folder. This caused it to crash.

help.

thanks.

yea, I mean what exactly can be put on the External card? I mean, can you put Launcher X there w/out a problem?

What limitations does the SD Card have (as far as programs being loaded onto it).

The List program I was talking about before is in the correcty directory, but only reads database files (.pdb I think) on the internal memory, not those on the external memory....

I wouldn't put something "system-like" like a launching program on the card.

Although programs have to go in that directory, that function is handled by the palm, where the data goes is another matter.

Some programs can search the entire card to find data files (DocsToGo).

Some programs have a specific directory where they expect to find their data files on an external card, which may or may not be the same as the program.

And some programs cannot handle the data being on the card at all, even if the program is on the card.

Since handling the data files is a function of the program (not the palm), try working with the softwre company. Sometimes their manuals state where they have to be (or that it is not supported). You might need to contact their cust service. Or lastly, a quick search here usually results in a few posts from people that have already had your issue.

edit for morning spelling

Okay,

I figured out a "workaround" of my specific problem.

I first load the map data file onto the pda RAM memory. Then I move the data over to the SD card. This seems to do the trick.

Investigating further, I notice that loading the map files onto the pda RAM, the launcher figures out they're map files (it labels them 'map' files when viewing with File Manager); which it does not do when I load maps directly to the SD card. This is what causes the maps not to show up when looking for the maps in the SD card.

So I can more or less workaround with my mapopolis program since the map db's are fairly managable in size. But this is certainly not an option for those working with very large db's.

Hopefully, some more knowledgable poster will offer a better fix.

Also, I tried to access the SD card via a multipurpose card reader on my desktop. I could not read the card. It seems the card format was not compatible with Windows XP. Suggestions, explanations?

thanks.

Being unable to access the card is NOT normal. Sounds like a problem with the card, maybe format or replace?

Allow me to clarify.

card reader sees the SD. But I cannot get into the "Palm" folder. Says "directory is unreadable and invalid".

Also, when I do use the card reader is screws up the mapopolis app somehow, and it will no longer work back in the 7135. I ended up reformatting and reinstalling.

Also, cannot get Filez to work. When I try to move files, it freezes; forcing me to reset.

Uhg!

My Clie was so much easier to deal with. Is there something akin to "MS Gate" out there? This allowed me to transfer data between memory card and computer without hotsync, and also allowed me to easily manage files on the memeory card. The memory stick also works with the car reader seamlessly.

thanks in advance for all the help.

ps:

Same thing happens on second SD card I have. So definitely not the card.

Sounds like the FAT table on your card is corrupt. I would suggest reformating your SD card
    mg

Thanks to spending the last 2 hours reading the discussion board, solved many of the problems.

- Have a BAD cardreader. MS worked, but the SD did very bad things to the card just by inserting it. So did download and use "CardExport". Works great!

- Reformatted card using above app. w/FAT. This cleared everything up. Reformatting via the Card Info app. on the 7135 did not work.

- As does Filez. The bad card format was causing it to crash. It does work well.

- BUT, still have the same problem as before. I must first install map db onto RAM so that the launcher knows its a map file. Then I can move it over to the SD. From that, everything works. Is this a VFS problem? How to solve this?

So...

- Crappy Viking cardreader BAD
    - Sandisk card format BAD

- CardExport GOOD
    - Filez GOOD

Need help:

- Loading data directly onto SD and have the Launcher understand what it is. A VFS solution require?

thanks.

can you create your own file structure (like adding directories) using FileZ? I can't figure it otu....

Yes, you can create file directories with filez.

Go to the directory in which you wish to create a new subfolder. Select menu-create new directory.

However, using filez to move files is rather cumbersome.

I used 'cardexport' to do it on the PC desktop. Much much faster since you can drag and drop multiple files.

You can also use 'cardexport' to create subfolders as well.

bPollard & ratpack
    Sounds like you had a bad card reader! That was the next thing I was going to suggest checking.., I've seen that happen with the cheap card readers. . . and some expensive ones too.
    Using fileZ is a pain to do lots of file management on the palm I agree. So for that matter I'll do most of my file management from my PC using Explorer or whatever, that is with a card reader that works, . I don't think the palm OS supports having folders in RAM.
    As to Mapopolis, no doubt you figured out It will set up the location of the data files for you. The program needs to access the map files from the Palm RAM. But there is an option where you can tell it to store the Maps to the SD card, it will copy them back and forth to RAM as needed.
    It will just takes some experimenting to figure out what apps will run from the SD card and which don't. The more well documented apps even tell you in their documentation whether they will run from the SD card or if they support storing data to them.
    mg