+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Back to MessagEase

Well, I gave the Millikeys 5-line layout a good-faith effort and I have now gone back to MessagEase. I find MessagEase so much nicer. The Millikeys layout was giving me fits getting it to reliably display the special characters on the top line. In addition, I find the macro programming on MessagEase so much easier to design. I'm much happier now...
    Dave

Good to know Dave. I'd like to talk to you about MessageEase, as I've never used it, but am finally giving up hope on SilkyBoard for 7135.

We'll talk soon.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

MessagEase -- me, too

Hi Dave,

Good to see someone else using MessagEase. I thought I was the only one on this list. I've been using it exclusively for about six weeks and I really like it. Tapping is quicker than stroking. I'm still not as fast as I should be, but I like it so much more than graffiti.

Barbara

Re: MessagEase -- me, too

Originally posted by nabour
    Hi Dave,

Good to see someone else using MessagEase. I thought I was the only one on this list. I've been using it exclusively for about six weeks and I really like it. Tapping is quicker than stroking. I'm still not as fast as I should be, but I like it so much more than graffiti.

Barbara
    Hi Barbara,

I'm glad to learn that I am not alone. People have resisted going to MessagEase because of the learning curve required to become familiar with the keyboard layout. Admittedly it does take a while to get fully familiarized with the layout, but once done, I have found it very well thought out. Well worth the effort.
    Dave

Originally posted by Markito
    Good to know Dave. I'd like to talk to you about MessageEase, as I've never used it, but am finally giving up hope on SilkyBoard for 7135.(
    I've not personally checked this rumor out, but the gossip going around is that Silkyboard went belly-up.
    Dave

I just went back too! I'm very fast with qwerty, and liked Silkyboard and then Millikeys. But the distance for tapping has been getting to me and I've been finding it increasingly annoying. So I went back to MessageEase. It really is an awesome input method, and I just now need to force myself to spend enough time and really learn the inputs once and for all. The game on the MessageEase app defintely helps with this....

damn, there's just not enough time jonn doe's Avatar
    are these kudos for the MessagEase stamp use or the on screen image?
    i have tried the on screen image version but not enough to get the real hang of it.
    Gets better every day...... the phone that is.
    *He who lives with the most toys, wins!*
    [and if you are not winning.... alcohol helps]

db

happy messagease user

i've been using messagease for the past couple of months and am quite happy. i mostly use the stamp version. a great feature is being able to bring up the onscreen keyboard (still in messagease format) for inputting when it's dark. it would be nice to have on on-screen keyboard toggle somehow, since it's difficult to see the right spot on the stamp in the dark.

i've found calibration fairly good, although i get a space on some of the "s" square. i also couldn't reach the very topmost shortcuts on the stamp--the shortcut and command entries. i was able to enter them in different memory spots once the developer told me how to create a "delayed execution command."

i still have difficulty with some of the punctuation i don't use a lot, but bringing up the on-screen keyboard is quick and painless.

also, the buttons to switch back and forth between messagease and graffiti is quick.
    developer is very responsive and quick with assistance.

i recently installed graffiti anywhere for low-light situations and there doesn't seem to be any conflict.

my 2 cents.

-db

Compare to Millikeys Please

Hey Guys,

I have been quite happy with Millikeys for the past four months.

What are the advantages of MessagEase over Millikeys that make it worth paying for the SW and the stamps?
    Mark
    ==========================
    Palm Personal > Palm V > Palm Vx > Clie 760 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > (Maybe i730??)

O.k., I'm sold. I went to Messageease's website and there were a ton of different versions (based on model). Which one works best with the 7135?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

MessagEase - delayed execution command?

i've found calibration fairly good, although i get a space on some of the "s" square. i also couldn't reach the very topmost shortcuts on the stamp--the shortcut and command entries. i was able to enter them in different memory spots once the developer told me how to create a "delayed execution command."

Hello DB --

Do you remember how you got the topmost shortcuts working? I've got the same problem. The stamp goes so far up on the grafiti area that I can't stroke up. I've never heard of a delayed execution command. Thanks

Barbara

Hello Markito

I remember when I got MessagEase there was some confusion about the versions. I think you need to download three separate parts to get the whole process going. There are three listed on the site under Palm programs, and you need them all if you want to use the stamp overlay.

Two of them are free. The regular MessagEase program gets you the program on the screen. You need that one to get going. When you download it you can "try" Messagease on the screen of the palm. It's a good way to see how it works, but until I downloaded the stamp it seemed sort of awkward.

The MessagEaseKB program is an interface between the palm's other programs and MessagEase.

-- I believe it is the MessagEaseST program that costs the $$. For your bucks you get the stamp overlay mailed to you and then the program transfers from the screen to the keyboard area.

Hope that helps.

Barbara

Markito- All versions work with the 7135. I'm using the physical stamp which covers the graffiti area. The stamp they send also fits some other units, but is quite easy to trim (you basically need to just use scissors to cut vertically right along the edges of the 4 main buttons (apps, menu, calc, find).

Best way to start is to just download the application. You can get a feel for it, and use a well constructed game to learn inputs. There IS a learning curve, but then it's good. And input for macros, strings of text, etc is excellent. You do have to read the manual to learn this one....

Originally posted by jonn doe
    are these kudos for the MessagEase stamp use or the on screen image?
    i have tried the on screen image version but not enough to get the real hang of it.
    I use the stamp. The stamps the company provides requires some slight pruning in order to fit the Grafitti area on the 7135, but it's easy enough to do that even I can do it. In my opinion, it is a nicely done stamp.
    Dave

Stamp

I like the functionality of the stamp, but the color isn't very appealing. Greens and whites. Wish they had a choice.

Barbara

A quick question. In addition to installing the hack for the stamp, I installed MEkb to be able to use ME on the lighted area in the dark when using the 7135 (as was just suggested!). But there seems to be a problem with MEKb that I don’t have with the stamp. If I’m entering text fast, slides are not recognized. So if entering a series of “l” (as in word “follow”), the very first “l” is recognized, but then it comes up as “n”. If I then try this using the stamp instead, it works fine. Anyone else experience this/ have a fix?

So for those of you that are "Right-handers" and bought the actual paper stamp, did you choose to have the letters on the right-hand side or left-hand side?

Since I will be typing/tapping letters more often than numbers and if the letters are on the far right, my cramping hand won't have to cross over the 7135 as much, so I went with letters-on-the-right.

Does that seem like the sensible choice? What did you other right-handers choose?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by dwdod
    I've not personally checked this rumor out, but the gossip going around is that Silkyboard went belly-up.
    It is interesting...

1) The well know " www.silkyboard.com " site is down.

2) Unless I am misunderstanding it, it is still licensed by "Novasib"
    http://www.handheldnews.com/vendor.asp?ObjectID=7720
    but the silkyboard site just doesn't work

or Ximpossible at... http://www.ximpossible.com/silkyboard/index.html
    or their just a retailer for silkyboard.

But eitherway, they seem to have gotten rid of the "Phone" models.

I don't know. Very strange.

I guess my only good choice really is MessageEase. I just ordered an overlay stamp.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Letters on right/left

Hi Markito,

I'm right handed and I use the stamp with the letters on the left side of the stamp, thinking that if letters were on the right my hand would be off the palm while writing. I was thinking I wanted to rest my hand on the palm. Don't know if that has made a difference or not, but so far I've been pleased.

Barbara

db

delayed execution command

barbara,

accessing the "command" command: here's what i did for those top symbols i couldn't get. in a blank memo, stroking diagonal bottom left to top right and back again (on the tiny top square), gives the command symbol and a C. i then selected the command symbol, copied it, and pasted it into an empty spot on messagease (the star below was my choice). i had to work a little harder to get the shortcut symbol, but you could also switch to graffiti, draw the shortcut symbol, then back to messagease, copy and paste.

a bit of hassle getting it set up, but then i can forget about it.

let me know if this isn't clear enough.

-db