+ Reply to Thread

Problems deleting a file

Apparently a database on my SmartPhone is not acting smart and has been corrupted in some way. I have tried every file management tool available to try to delete it but every time I try to scroll to that file name, the phone craps out and I have to reset.

It also fails to sync due to the file issue. Everytime it hits that file in the backup, it craps out.

The crash is a fatal error by the way. Anyone with words of wisdom on how to blow this file away short of a hard reset?
    EMT/Fire Fighter - You can't make me go into burning buildings and save lives... I am a volunteer!

South Central PA - the area time forgot when it comes to wireless.

Verizon Treo 650, Lotus Notes, Intellisync, SnapperMail, ThoughtManager, ToDo+, Memo+, MobileEMS, Hazmatter, Street Drugs, finCalc, MinutesPlus, mLights, LEDOff, KeyCaps600, Palm Insider, BackUp Buddy, Documents To Go

It sounds like you know which file. Do a hard reset on the phone, but go to your back up directory and remove the file before syncing. It shouldn't be too painful.

If you use a backup program you could try rstoring everthing but that file.

Have you tried FILEZ? <--- click on that word to link to the download of the latest (non-beta) version
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

AlexinPA;

Harleyxlc offered a very good suggestion. You might go to http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=8968 to download the latest version of Filez.

Good luck;
    bcottun

Well, rebuild is my only option now...

I tried FileZ and it bombed like everything else has... damn... good thing I have off today because I am going to need the day to rebuild this mess.

Thanks for the suggestions folks!
    EMT/Fire Fighter - You can't make me go into burning buildings and save lives... I am a volunteer!

South Central PA - the area time forgot when it comes to wireless.

Verizon Treo 650, Lotus Notes, Intellisync, SnapperMail, ThoughtManager, ToDo+, Memo+, MobileEMS, Hazmatter, Street Drugs, finCalc, MinutesPlus, mLights, LEDOff, KeyCaps600, Palm Insider, BackUp Buddy, Documents To Go

Filez bombed

AlexInPA;

Sorry to hear about your problems with Filez. It sounds like you have more issues than just Filez. I have found Filez to be very stable on my past Palm devices and two 7135's.

I have found the hard reset to be a good time to rebuild using only apps which I know to be stable and doing a backup using BackupBuddy to take a snapshot of that configuration. Then I start adding questionable but desirable applications one at a time. If the addition proves to be stable, then I do another backup etc.

Gold luck on the rebuild;
    bcottun

I am sorry to hear that, but I and tons of folks here have been using Filez for MANY years and it has never caused any problems whatsoever for me. Must be more than just Filez.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I'd guess the database header of the file in question is corrupted in some way that the standard Palm OS calls can't handle. The chances of Filez or any app dealing with that would be slim. I've seen databases get left in a state where they could not be deleted after a soft reset or even a reset without extensions.

Only solution I can think of is what you've already considered: hard reset with that file excluded from the backup set.

AlexInPa,

When this happened to me, I was able to spot which database was bad. (To Do) Precisely concurrent with this circumstance was super fast battery draining. I disabled the sync for To Do in the Hot Sync > Custom dialog from the PC so I could get all of the subsequent apps sync'd once. I could never get all the way through BackupBuddy, so that was out. I never thought to try a more complex solution. After a hard reset every thing was healed up with the resync. (I hope)

I realize this posting is tardy; it's all over except for the shouting, as they say. After reading your post, I am realizing how much worse it could have been.