+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voice Recorder

Voice Recorder

My wife is considering purchasing a 7135. Her question is how many minutes of voice memo can one record on the 7135? The price isn't bad for a 7135 if she can combime her Cell, Palm, and voice recorder. But if one can only record a few seconds of voice memo, she'd still have to purchase a voice recorder.

I don't know the limit ( my guess would be it is based on the amount of RAM left), but it only records to RAM, not the SD card so it is limited. Unless your wife uses voice memos for very short things, this might not work as a recorder replacement.

I think its a function of how much space you have to record. I stuck my phone next to my car speaker to record an interesting interview. I got 2:18 at one shot with no problem. My whole memo file (according to FileManager) is 80.4k

Hope that helps.

Per Kyocera's User Guide:

"You can record up to 10 minutes of voice memos on your phone. There is a 2-minute maximum length for each memo recorded."

Based on my post above, this isn't real accurate.

EMN
    Make sure she understands there are limited uses for the voice recorder. As far as I can tell, you cannot transfer the recording off of the 7135 to a computer for transcription, so it is useless as a dictation device. It also does not appear that you can record telephone conversations, so it isn't a good tool for having someone dictate a phone number or directions for later use. It appears designed simply as a tool for leaving a quick note to yourself to be played back later.

Thank you. She is only looking to take short verbals notes. Not needing to transcribe so this seems to be a good option for her.

Originally posted by EMN
    Make sure she understands there are limited uses for the voice recorder.
    Sounds like a good opportunity for an enterprising programer, any takers? Or maybe it exists. A voice dictation recorder palm app that will run on the 7135 and will save a standard sound file to the SD card. That doesn't sound like too much to ask. The only ones I've seen are for OS5 Tungstens.
    mg
    boy I wish I had the time to brush up on my programming skills and do some palm coding!

Originally posted by EMN
    It also does not appear that you can record telephone conversations, so it isn't a good tool for having someone dictate a phone number or directions for later use.
    It can record one side of the conversation (yours) so if you repeat back the directions or phone number to the caller, it can be recorded.

EMN
    Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Sounds like a good opportunity for an enterprising programer, any takers? Or maybe it exists. A voice dictation recorder palm app that will run on the 7135 and will save a standard sound file to the SD card. That doesn't sound like too much to ask. The only ones I've seen are for OS5 Tungstens.
    mg
    boy I wish I had the time to brush up on my programming skills and do some palm coding!
    I'd be interested in buying it.

Recording a phone call

Unfortunately, I have the need to start recording phone calls made or received by my 7135. Can anyone point me to some software that will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Include me in the group that would buy a programme for the 7135 that would enable us to use our phone as a portable voice recorder.

Ideally it would save our "dictation" in one or more of the standard recording formats on the SD card. We could then email the recording off to a transcription service and receive the transcription back via email.

This capability would be very very useful!

Given the high quality of the software that members of this group have created already, this might be a project that someone would like to undertake. My programming skills, alas, are non-existant.

Originally posted by chilcotin
    Ideally it would save our "dictation" in one or more of the standard recording formats on the SD card. We could then email the recording off to a transcription service and receive the transcription back via email.
    That is something that I would love to be able to do! It seems silly that I have to have cassette tapes delivered to my transcriptionist only for her to e-mail the letters back to me. Somebody PLEASE work on this!!

- Brett

I did a quick internet search and found a company that provided software for voice dictation on the Tungsten T. The following is my correspondence with this firm. However, given that a high quality microphone is already part of the Kyocera 7135 package, it does not seem to me to be beyond human capability to develop software to turn the 7135 into a very good dictation platform.

=======================
    Hello,

The ability to record on a Palm based device requires Palm OS 5.0 or better plus necessary hardware. Therefore, the Kyocera 7135 will never be able to be used for recordings.

Cappy
    Audio Storage Technologies
    =======================
    To: support@audiost.com
    Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 9:37 PM
    Subject: Kyocera 7135 - Audacity Digital Voice Recorder (DVR)

Dear Sirs/Mesdames:

I have a Kyocera 7135 mobile phone with an integrated Palm 4.1 operating system. Since the Kyocera is already very well designed for handling telephone functions, I would also like to use it as my portable dictation recorder.

Does your Audacity Digital Voice Recorder (DVR) work with Palm based units other than the Tungsten T. Specifically, would it work with the Kyocera 7135. If not, will you be bringing out a version that will run on the Kyocera 7135?

Thank you,

Lawrence Fast
    Fast & Corcoran

chilcotin, you are right. It is definitely not beyond human capability, and their response of "the 7135 will never be able to be used for recordings" is obviously ridiculous since the 7135 already does it.

What they are referring to is that prior to OS 5, the Palm SDK's Sound Manager API only supported playback of sound, and not until OS 5 did the SDK offer a simple way of recording sounds. Rather than giving you the probably more truthful response of "We don't feel it is worth our while to expend the effort to write our own recording code," they are just trying to pawn it off on you as not possible.

If I ever find the time to finish up a couple of the other things I am working on (a CarrierLogo Creator, and a Picture Call Display), I might look into this as my next project.

Don't voice memos get backed up in Backup Buddy? If they do, then it would seem there IS a way to access them via computer.

Originally posted by bhil
    and a Picture Call Display
    That would be Awesome!!!

Originally posted by bhil
    If I ever find the time to finish up a couple of the other things I am working on (a CarrierLogo Creator, and a Picture Call Display), I might look into this as my next project.
    Those things are cute, Bhil, but this is WAAAAAAY more important! Get on it, man!!

- Brett

Originally posted by brett3333
    Those things are cute, Bhil, but this is WAAAAAAY more important! Get on it, man!!
    Well, the CarrierLogo Creator is actually done, I just have to do up some documentation on it, such as installation instructions, trouble shooting guide (its written in Java and meant to run anywhere, so the installation instructions aren't necessarily straightforward.) And while I have been doing software development for about 10 years, the Picture Call Display is my first shot at a Palm based app, so it's more a learning project then anything else. I'm using it to try to figure out the little idiosyncrosies of writing apps towards the 7135, and to get a feel for the Palm API's.

The voice recorder is a whole other beast. It will require figuring out both how to access the mic in the 7135, and how to record the sound in a useful format. Before I start digging around into the internals of things to figure out how to do this, I would like to have a reasonable grasp of using the provided API's.

Folks, I'll defer to the better informed, but I'm pretty sure the voice memo function uses a dedicated chip. It provides the vocorder hardware and also the storage. The voice memo is not stored in Ram and is not backed up by Backup Buddy or the native backup function. Kyocera doesn't provide access to the vocorder chip in the SDK, and it's not even clear to me it could do so. The limits are the limits, and I strongly doubt you'll see a program to do more.

Originally posted by gellmanb
    Folks, I'll defer to the better informed, but I'm pretty sure the voice memo function uses a dedicated chip. It provides the vocorder hardware and also the storage. The voice memo is not stored in Ram and is not backed up by Backup Buddy or the native backup function. Kyocera doesn't provide access to the vocorder chip in the SDK, and it's not even clear to me it could do so. The limits are the limits, and I strongly doubt you'll see a program to do more.
    Then perhaps it could be approached from the perpsective of finding a way to export the sound clip from the where ever it is stored to a usable file format, instead of trying to create an app to access the vo-corder hardware directly. Just a thought.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.