+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement mic for hands free car kit?

The microphone for my hands free car kit has gone AWOL. Any idea how to source a replacement short of buying a new kit?

DAS
    I recently received my in car kit from Dan and wasn't entirely happy with the quality of the included Kyocera mic when comparing it to my original car kit with my Nokia 8310. Since the car kit from the old phone was still in the car I plugged the existing mic into the mic jack on the kyocera kit and it worked fine. So the long answer is head down to the nearest carphone place and purchase just the mic.

To continue the story I decided that I wanted to hide the entire car kit except for the plug that goes into the phone. I've unsoldered the speaker from inside the kit and soldered on a 3.5mm female jack, chopped the old end of my mounted speaker from the car kit and soldered on a 3.5mm male jack, plugged it in and it worked.

All I have to do now is wire up the power so I don't need to use the cigarette lighter. I'm also considering seeing if the car stereo can handle a line in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement mic for hands free car kit?-100_0291.jpg  

Yeah there is nothing special about the mic that I can tell. I used a mic from an old Nokia car kit I had years ago. But the mic from my previous Kyocera carkit had a 3.5 mm plug and the 7135 carkit takes a 2.5mm plug.
    mg

DAS, how does the new setup sound? Is it just aesthetics or does a better mic improve the pick-up and clarity?

'Peace through overwhelming force.'

-Smoothop

DAS
    There is not a single bit of doubt that the new mic is clearer. When I first put the car kit in my work collegues were continuosly prompting me to speak up and say stuff again. These same people commented on the low quality compared with what I had previously been using. I put it down to the positioning of the mic rather than quality of mic. With the phone attached to the car kit through the cigarette lighter the mic was positioned away and down from my voice. The existing mic I had in the car was positioned on the column between front windscreen and drivers side window so is closer to where I sit, in addition I don't need to focus away from the road to speak in the direction of the cigarette lighter. Since the changes my work mates say it is the same as it used to be.

Using the speaker I already had in the car is 90% cosmetic as it enables me to hide the kyocera car kit.

Once I pull the stereo out and see if I can put a line in I'll post an update here.

Thanks for the good info folks... But I'm still looking for where to source a replacement mic for my 7735 car kit, whether it be the original or anyone else's.

I like the idea of a mic with a cord (or buying an extension cord). But without a mic, I'm pretty much on mute while on the road.

I recently got the OEM Car Kit from Dan's and have some concern about the mic 'pickup'. People are occassionally asking me to repeat what I say and that never happens when using the handset.

Most of the time it works fine, so it seems to be intermittant thing and could be the signal strength, temperature, eclipse of the moon, mic position etc... I don't know yet as it has been only two days...

I bought the mic extension cord from Radioshack so I could position the mic by the visor. This definatley helps a lot, but I'm still concerned that the mic isn't picking up as clearly as it should all the time...'Can you hear me now?...What...'

Incoming voice sounds ok with little to no breakup. The speaker sounds decent but there is a little raspiness. I guess that's expected in such a compact and relatively inexpensive (Thanks Dan) device...(?) My 7135 speakerphone has the same slight raspiness, could it be a bad phone or do all these mini-speakers sound that way? Some people say how great the car kit and the speakerphone are, but is it just that they have greater tolerance and are more realistic in what to expect? Or do they have a superior phone? Have Kyo Krazies compared units and found differences?

Has anyone compared different mics plugged into the Radio Shack mic extension? Any improvements? If so where do you buy them so Mich can get one?

'When all is said and done...There will be nothing left to say or do'

Smoothop

After playing around with the unit some more, I am finding much better success. For whatever reason it's not distorting at all like it did before. I played around with different mounts and different settings. Moved the mic around, played some music through the speaker, and cha-ching, no more breakup, and almost no 'tinny' sounds.

A few people I asked today told me it's the best sound quality I have ever spoken to them with, so now I'm an extremely happy 7135 camper again, and am psyched about the car kit.

Just got freaked when it wasn't working right. Didn't find any mic at radio shack for Mich...B

Thanks for caring-Super Freak

DAS
    Mitch - since I've totally destroyed what was my original car kit you are quite welcome to have my originial mic. I can post it to you if you just let me know your contact details. email me at dltm20@hotmail.com

I say destroyed but this baby now ROCKS. The entire unit is now completely unseeable (except for the bit that plugs into the phone)

The final stages of this project were to see if I could get the audio to play through my car stereo. Couldn't get this to work with a couple of attempts and since the only reason for doing this was for the sake of doing it as I'm more than happy with the audio from my underdash mounted speaker I moved onto the next part. I pulled apart the cigarette lighter bit which was the only visible remaining componant went down to the car parts shop and bought an inline fuse holder and wired it to the rear of the cigarette lighter. A bit of solder and electrical tape later I'm done.

Think the warranty might have gone out the window a while ago on this on.

Car Kits

I was just reading your posts about car kits for the 7135. Where can I get them?!?!?! I am an Alltel Agent and my regular source for cell assessorys does not have them. Nor do they have drive cables for any of the other kyoceras that we carry 3225 and the 2325. Also do they have an external antenna hook up on them? You can just reply to the post or email me at private message me.

AlanM
    check the classifieds forum on the site and look for the thread to Dan's Cell Phone accessories. He's the man when it comes to Kyocera OEM accessories....OK here's the link:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=7917

DAS--
    Post some pics. We're intrigued
    mg

DAS

Project complete

Ok, now I am satisfied.
    I had to go back to the audio bit, listening to mp3's through the one speaker just didn't cut it. I purchased a FM modulator that takes a audio line in and outputs the audio to an FM signal that I can tune into through the car stereo.

Scenario, MP3 player is playing songs through the car stereo, phone changes to my ring tone then auto answers, I speak with the person on the phone, on disconnection MP3 player continues on.

Photo of completed project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement mic for hands free car kit?-car-kit-installed.jpg  

DAS
    Car Kit unpackaged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement mic for hands free car kit?-car-kit-what-i-did.jpg  

DAS
    Yeah I'd say you've violated the terms of your warranty on this one... good job!
    mg
    PS: maybe we can get jigsawman to repost the picks of his dissasembled 7135!

DAS
    The packaged unit, ready for placement out of site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement mic for hands free car kit?-car-kit-packaged-ready-hiding.jpg  

Cool install, I like it - I can't stand to have all that stuff showing on an install be it a CB, Busnessband or anything else. I think I will be geting in touch with Dan.
    :p

Re: Project complete

Originally posted by DAS
    Ok, now I am satisfied.
    I had to go back to the audio bit, listening to mp3's through the one speaker just didn't cut it. I purchased a FM modulator that takes a audio line in and outputs the audio to an FM signal that I can tune into through the car stereo.

Scenario, MP3 player is playing songs through the car stereo, phone changes to my ring tone then auto answers, I speak with the person on the phone, on disconnection MP3 player continues on.

Photo of completed project.
    Cool setup, but....AAAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!!! How'd you manage to move the steering wheel and instrument cluster to the WRONG SIDE OF THE CAR????!!!!??? :biglaughc

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Originally posted by DAS
    Car Kit unpackaged.
    Great job! Quick question.. does the car kit's internals allow for a stereo connection to the FM modulator, or did you have to duplex it out, so that you're getting a mono signal to both channels?

If we can only do mono, I think I'll directly tap the driver's side speaker with a lil' relay.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

DAS
    KB2PMD

Output from the phone kit is mono. Input on the FM modulator can be stereo, I was going to purchase a splitter for the RCA cable so sound came from both left and right channels but the audio came out of all speakers regardless so I didn't worry about it.

I did mess around with hooking directly into a speaker when I had the stereo out looking for a line in of some sort. Since I already had a mounted speaker in the car from previous car kit and that is what I wanted to upgrade from it wouldn't have been any better (in my instance)

Should comment on here the use of the FM modulator. With the phone plugged into the car kit you can only hear the phone ring if your car stereo is on the right channel. Ie if you're listening to the radio then you won't hear your phone ring. (Any suggestions on workarounds for this would be appreciated). When listening to MP3's though the scenario is perfect.

Regards,

DAS.

PS Mitch, mic in the post yesterday.

I have look around a little for this but I just wanted to speak up,
    Forgive my noob move if this has been said,

An EASY mounting kit is the original belt clip. I just broke off the clip part leaving only the sleeve that holds the phone. Then I drilled a hole in the center, used a mop stick top as a rubber gromit and screwed it into the dash,

Works AWESOME, just drop the 7135 in, open, facing the incorrect way it normally would. The clip will even snap and get a good grip, plus it has room to plug in the car kit and will even close enough to think it is fully closed. (lights turn off and it makes that closing sound)

I'll post a pic, if anyone cares.