+ Reply to Thread

Dim Keypad lights 7135

Does anyone know how to make the keypad lights brighter, this is probably a set brithness with the 7135. I have been really annoyed at the dim lights on each key, has anyone ever tried dialing a number in the dark? I cant believe that the manufacturer wouldnt even put lights in the SEND and RECEIVE buttons. Just a very annoying problem when using it in the dark.

stevoe,

First of all, welcome to this forum. We're glad that you're here.

Now about your keypad...

1. There are no brightness settings for the keypads. What you see is unfortunately what you get. Just an unfortunate oversight on their part I guess.

2. The send and receive buttons are lit, but just barely.

3. One easy fix is to tilt the screen down toward the keys when it is dark out so you can see the keys. Not as good as nicely backlit keys, but the best we can do. Otherwise it is an excellent phone.

Stick around, it's nice to have you here.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Thanks Markito

For the welcome and the info, I was hoping for some kind of control but its something I can live with and the suggestion you made does work. I like the phone very much and now have to decide if the UPGRADE in software is worth it, I have read many posts but cant come to a conclusion , I will most likely get the upgrade, if anyone has any other suggestions on this let me know and once again thanks for the welcome, this is a great resource for the 7135 and much needed.

Thanks
    Stevoe

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.

Steveo;

Every member of this forum has eventually asked that same question. Back several months ago it was THE question.

My suggestion is upgrade if

1. you are having frequent resets
    2. if the contrast bug is driving you nuts
    3. you love pain and want to use Graffiti2
    4. you have to have the latest and greatest of everything

Do not upgrade if;

1. your phone is stable
    2. the contrast bug is a minor annoyance
    3. you hate pain and are satisfied with Grafitti1
    4 you drive your car until the wheels falloff without ever changing the oil

The upgrade to 44/29 has been a mixed blessing for many forum members. Some have found their phone is more stable, but Graffiti2 is driving them postal. Some have found the contrast bug is managabel but not eliminated. Most have said their phoneis more stable after the upgrade, but a few have felt they have nore trouble, not less.

I am unaware of any applications that require the upgrade. While some apps may be more stable after the upgrade, the upgrade does not seem to be the reason an app will or won't run.

Another consideration, if you decide to upgrade, is the process of getting your service provider to actually perform the upgrade. Some stores have now acquired the experience to do it quickly (in about an hour) while many still don't have a clue. You might want to check around to see if you have choice of vendors in your area. If they ask you "what's a 7135" keep looking.

In short, if you are satisfied with your phone right now, leave it alone, if you think it needs some help, upgrade.

But be aware that once you upgrade you are stuck with Graffiti2 unless you add a third party app, such as Jot, to overide the Graffiti2. You cannot reinstall Graffiti1 (or at least no forum member has posted that they have successfully done so, and many have tried.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your 7135 as much as most of us do.

Best regards;
    bcottun

Thanks Bill

Very informative, as it is now i really dont have too many resets and have learned that most are caused by programs i have installed, I'm not sure what the difference is in Grafiti 1 and 2? but it sounds scary enough to persuade me to wait and not be in a hurry to do the upgrade. I really like the phone and i do not need any more pain as after having 3 other others this is my 4th, it seems very stable.

Best regards and Thanks for the much needed info

Steve

But regardless, the firmware upgrade won't brighten the dim led's under the keypad.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Here is a good link to a story called "Inside Graffiti 2". It gives you the main differences between Graffiti 1 and 2 as well as the reasons for it's inception. They also discuss why Graffiti 1 is not coming back and will not be offered side by side with G-2

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Inside_Graffiti_2

- Brett

Graf 2

Brett

Thanks, the aricle gave me an insight to what 2 was kinda like, I'm still dedating on the upgrade, 2 looks simple but guess I wouldnt know until I used it then it would be too late to change back, decisions decisions Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Stevoe

That button thing really bugs me. I see all sorts of phones around that use superbright leds and I can't see mine at all.

Maybe the LEDs can be replaced with superbright leds.

I would buy another phone and take the leds out if I had to.

GM

pzc
    [i]... I'm not sure what the difference is in Grafiti 1 and 2? ... [/B]
    Steve,

Another pain with Graffiti 2 that I run into has to do with Tablet PCs - they use Graffiti 1. Now I'm stuck with having to use different strokes depending on the platform. Rather confusing. :anger !!!