+ Reply to Thread

Email when offline

Due to high data cost for online usage I would like to use my 7135 for offline email reading and deleting. Can someone please advise what program I should use, Eudora won't delete from the phone to Outlook?

I have never used Eudora, so I cannot answer if it *should*, but Snappermail does what you want.

Eudora doesn't use talktime minutes while you write your email message, just when you click "send".
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    I have never used Eudora, so I cannot answer if it *should*, but Snappermail does what you want.
    Does Snappermail actually sync with your desktop mail so that you can take it with you, read it, reply to it, delete it. Then when you sync, it transfers the changes to the desktop? I just want a "picture" of the desktop mail that I can sync with changes; no need for "live mail", I use mobil mail for that.

pzc
    Originally posted by Shea
    Does Snappermail actually sync with your desktop mail so that you can take it with you, read it, reply to it, delete it. Then when you sync, it transfers the changes to the desktop? I just want a "picture" of the desktop mail that I can sync with changes; no need for "live mail", I use mobil mail for that.
    Snapper is only for wireless email. It does not have a conduit to synch with email on your desktop. Eudora does have a conduit to your desktop.

True...I use it mainly for work, were we use Exchange, and it does bring in my current inbox. But at home it does not. Good point.

Outlook at home

harleyxlc;

If your business has pop access to your MSExchange server you should be able to send and received e-mail at home across the Internet. Check with you IT dept.

I have found Snapper to be an excellent choice for wireless access. If you want to conserv wireless download minutes, you can set Snapper to download message headers and a limited amount of message text to determine if you want to download the full message or attachment.

With Snapper you can download attachements of unlimited size so you may want to check the size before starting the download.

You may also want to use your desktop to download attachments when possible and only use your wireless e-mail to download attachments when you cannot access your desktop.

Now that I think about it, if your office can set you up to receive office mail on your 7135 they can certainly set you up to receive e-mail at home.

Regards;
    bcottun

pzc

Re: Outlook at home

[i]...Now that I think about it, if your office can set you up to receive office mail on your 7135 they can certainly set you up to receive e-mail at home...[/B]
    bcottun,

I can only connect to my office mail using 7135 via a dialup connection. At home I have my machine on a broadband. Dos this mean that the only way to connect my home machine to the office email is by switching it to a dialup (for example using 7135 as a modem ) ?

Yes, I can receive office email at home and using the web, thanks for the info. I use Snapper when I am away from the office and away from home.

I don't know what type of setup you have, Shea, but it may work for you without syncing depending on your email setup. My setup works fine at work (I do not need to sync to see my inbox) yet at home my inbox is invisible unless I use a conduit to sync.

Access to Office Mail

PZC;

Access to your office e-mail really depends on how your company IT department has setup your Exchange server (assuming they use MS Exchange). The same hold true with Lotus and most other enterprise e-mail.

Exchange can be configured to work with dial up AND direct internet access. Many companies do not do both for several reasons, but it usually boils down to security concerns.

That said, whether you can access your company e-mail either or both ways also depends on your wireless e-mail application.

Snapper mail seems to be the most flexible at this time. Other apps like (?) require going sending and receiving e-mail through a third party conversion server (discussed elsewhere on the forum) and this can cause heartburn for many large corps concerned about sending proprietary e-mail through third parties.

Simply put, if you company allows dialup or Internet access to and from your home computer, they should be able to help you get a wireless e-mal app configured so you can do the same ont he road.

JDKG4;

If you are specifically interested in downloading and replying to e-mail offline and are not asking about a wireless solution, you might consider PumaTechs Intellisync. I have used it for almost 5 years to sync my e-mail with OUtlook, Exchane Server and Lotus Notes. It will allow you to download e-mail with attachments to your 7135, reply to e-mail with attachments and depending on how you configure your phone and your desktop application, to save and/or delete e-mail from your desktop mailbox to correspond with the actions on your phone.

Chapura has an upgrade to the basic Palm sync app included with your phone which will allow the same sync options as Intellisync. There probably are other similar apps available also.

Hope this helps;
    bcottun

pzc

Re: Access to Office Mail

Originally posted by bcottun
    PZC;

... Access to your office e-mail really depends on how your company IT department has setup your Exchange server (assuming they use MS Exchange). The same hold true with Lotus and most other enterprise e-mail...
    bcottun.

In the office we use Linux Sendmail and my IS department (they do work for me !) said NO to opening up access via web because of the security concerns. Only dialup or VPN. So the question is can I configure VPN on 7135? I asked this long time ago on this forum and never really got an answer. Any suggestion? The dialup is OK but slow. I do use Snapper. Thanks.

VPN

PZC;

the reason you did not get an answer to your earlier query about VPN is probably because no one is doing it.

I have ventured down this path twice with two different IT departments and neither of them wanted to touch this.

While VPN if old hat in the desktop world, Palm VPN does not have the proven track record.

There are a few companies such as Mergic http://www.mergic.com/ and V-One http://www.v-one.com/ who now have VPN products, but I have not tested them.

Maybe you can get your IT folks to give one of them a try. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
    bcottun