+ Reply to Thread

Good backup on VSF ?

I'm looking for a good backup software, working on the 7135 with this options (if possible) :

- Using the SD flash cards (of course)
    - Compressing data (Zlib...)
    - comparing dates
    - scheduling...

Any suggestion ?

PS: I have tested the JBBackup... but scheduling do not works correctly and there is no date comparison (to backup it or not automaticaly...)
    Regards,

Yves MARTIN
    ymartin@mail.com
    www.PointCA.com

BackupBuddy let's you schedule (once per day) but does not compress. It can encrypt, though.

BackupbuddyVFS is free - no schedule, no compression, no selective backups. Takes about 3 1/2 minutes to back up everything right now.

I am thinking about getting the "pay" version, just to make the backup time shorter by backing up just what has changed.

But you can't beat free

Dennis

The pay version includes the scheduler.

I have both JBBackup (v1.6.4) and BackupBuddyVFS. Scheduling once per day works fine in both of them for me.
    Michael

I LOVE BackUpBuddyVFS! I have mine scheduled to backup to the SD card every night at 1am.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I tried both BackupbuddyVFS and BackupMan. Both worked fine for me and my 7135. Did backups and restores for each when I had hard resets.

Both worked fine but in the end I had an easy choice - I chose BackupMan, primarily due to the lower price than BackupBuddyVFS ($10 vs. $17)

While BackupMan doesn't allow for incremental backups and I don't think it is compressed, it allows for good scheduling and is very quick. It takes around 4 minutes if I remember right for a 14 meg backup (Lexar SD card). I set mine up for 3 AM every night do a backup so I don't observe it.

There's another thread testing SD card speeds using BackupMan. Nice way of doing it since BackupMan does a full backup. This inspired me to test mine and I found that it actually took me 10 minutes rather than 4 minutes though - either things have slowed down or my memory is really slipping... I am using BackupMan 1.45 vs. 1.3 originally but would be surprised if it slowed significantly.

Mac OS X user

CardBackup

FYI: I personally like CardBackup. It allows scheduling, multiple backups. I think the multiple backups are good because if you trash something, but don't realize it right away (not until after another backup is done by schedule), then your backup is trashed too.

I have a Mon/Wed/Fri, Tue/Thu/Sat, and a Sunday backup (i.e., two sets of every day and another per week).

You can also do seperate manual backups.
    - Paul