+ Reply to Thread

How much longer might the 7135 remain on the market?

I really like the concept of the 7135. I know that I probably won't use it much but other to play around with, but I've got a few months left in my 2 year contract before I'm new every two eligible. How much longer do you think this phone will remain on the market? I suppose it would be nice if the price went down some more than it already has... I like the idea of having the Stylus; that would make the phone so much more useful than the i600 that just came out. Is Kyocera planning on coming out with a new smartphone soon? Thanks,

Garrett

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar
    I also had many months on my two-year contract before I was eligible for New Every Two (a Verizon feature). But I had a long-standing business history with one Verizon store and I went to them to see what they could do. They were amazing! After several calls to Verizon people who told them it was impossible to waive the additional months (of waiting until 24 months had passed under my current plan), my store called again (and again) and reached someone who did waive the months.

I paid the usual price for renewing a plan for two more years, meaning I did not get the rebate that Verizon was offering at the time. I do enjoy the phone and I use it much more than I had expected (meaning I added Express Network unlimited on top of the voice plan - also involving many calls).

So persevere in asking for what you want, and verify early on that the plan you requested is the one they set up for you. It's not impossible, just time-consuming, and depends on the people you work with.

7135 replacement

gcookaustin;

Kyocera (and all other phone makers) know the surest way to kill sales of a current phone is to announce the release of the next generation.

My guess is Kyocera will announce a replacement for the 7135 under one of the following senerios assuming they have the replacement under develpment at this time.

1. Sales of the 7135 are disappointing and the warranty service are high which negative affect the Kyocera technical reputation and adversly affect their stock value. They probably would expedite a replacement then.

2. Kyocera has a replacement ready to release and they would expect increased revenue generation with reduced warranty support costs.

3. A competitor, or competitors, release a new phone which attract a significant portion of the available 7135 market, thereby reducing 7135 sales.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Kyocera, like Nextel just has to release the smallest, fastest, whateverist new device for bragging rights, but that does not seem to be how Kyocera works.

I am sure others can come up with equally valid scenerios but we are all second guessing. Bottom line is if Kyocera or any other phone manufacture thinks they are going to make a buck with a new release, they are going to get it to market as fast as possible.

If the 6035 gives us any insight in to the Kyocera release logic we will probalby see a relpacement from Kyo in 2004. I think the 6035 was on the market about 3 years before the 7135 hit. With increased competion in that market, Kyo will probably have to accelerate a release or get out of the market.

Just guessin';
    bcottun

I think it will be around for quite some time. It will probably take about a year after the initial new phone rumours pop up here till it hits the stores... that's what happened with the 7135 and boy was that painful!!!

So I wouldn't worry, the 7135 will still be available in a couple months when you can get it, and for much, much longer on fleaBay.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Here's my take:

I'm sure Kyocera has a lot of money tied up in their Palm
    smartphone line. The only way to recoup their investment is
    to be there with the right phone when smartphones hit the mainstream.

The next logical step is to come out with a phone that has a high resolution
    screen (320x320) and a zippier processor. The device will
    probably be slightly thinner and feature other small improvements to
    the user interface, longer battery life etc. I wouldn't be looking for this
    device until sometime later next year and will probably retail for a
    similar price as the 7135 does now.

The other option is for Kyocera to decide the smartphone market is too
    competitive and not profitable enough. I can believe the latter but I haven't
    seen much in the way of credible competition but it's bound to show up sooner or
    later.
    -Data Rox

Do you think that there is any chance of the 7135 ever coming down more in price, before it is no longer offered?

Thanks for your previous responses, BTW

Originally posted by gcookaustin
    Do you think that there is any chance of the 7135 ever coming down more in price, before it is no longer offered?
    I think that's a pretty safe bet
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I think its a valid question. Its never really taken off commercially and there have been quite a few problems with the ones that have sold. On the other hand they are still selling that aircard thing so who knows.

Folks,

I wouldn't wait too long for the next Kyocera. Verizon was the only major carrier to sell the phone, and it looks like about 1/2 of those were returned.

It is doubtful that Verizon will want to go through this experience again, and Kyocera certainly didn't make any money on this one.

Glenn

Administrator
    hell, the 6035 is still in use!! the 7135 aint gonna die no time soon.... :drink3

Originally posted by marctronixx
    hell, the 6035 is still in use!! the 7135 aint gonna die no time soon.... :drink3
    I agree and...(ducking)... I am only learning now that the 6035 was deemed "successful". I knew it was stable and all but it was such a BIG candybar and didn't have a color screen nor expansion. I didn't see how long time palm users could survive with just that 8MB.

Similarly, I think the 7135 will be around for a while even with all of its troubles because there are some folks who only need what it offers.

I don't agree that half of the 7135s are being returned. Someone needs to present empirical data to convince me of that. I'm meeting too many people with 7135s who experience no problems at all. I do believe that at least half of the "power-users" (those on this forum) are exchanging their phones.

Half returned???!!!

I agree with Beryl, I think that is a stretch. It seems to me that over a number of threads asking folks about how this phone has worked for them since the release, the over-all responce has been very positive.

I think we'll have at least 2 more years of solid use from this product, even for those who are demanding.

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    .... Verizon was the only major carrier to sell the phone, and it looks like about 1/2 of those were returned....
    Glenn
    Just curious where did you get that number? Are you privy to some internal Verizon commumique or are you just making a wild guess? My wild guess would be less than 1 %. I think if 1/2 of a particular phone model was returned that the carrier would recall it with some kind of incentive so they wouldn't have to deal with supporting it.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Just curious where did you get that number? Are you privy to some internal Verizon commumique or are you just making a wild guess? My wild guess would be less than 1 %. I think if 1/2 of a particular phone model was returned that the carrier would recall it with some kind of incentive so they wouldn't have to deal with supporting it.
    mg
    Obviously I don't have a real number. I and 2 other work colleagues have owned the phone. I am on my third in about 9 months (the last one has been good for 6 of those).

The first colleague returned his because it soft reset so often and got his money back.

The second colleague stayed with the phone and just got his third replacement. Always due to some stupid hardware / software problem.

Some people on this board are on their 6th replacement. So, I would guess for every 3 that have been sold at least 1 comes back.

Glenn

guess the real question is what do we do for replacements after our 1 year is up?

Insurance?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

are you talking about the one from Verizon. I did take it, but never really looked at it. I believe its a third party plan. Has anyone here ever dealt with these people?