+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The stylus to get

I just got the perfect stylus folks.

Pentopia Chameleon M500
    (at CompUSA: sku 295740 $12.8

Take out the little metal clip and you're good to go. Just a little bit of a stub, but no big deal.

Do a search on this board for 'Pentopia Chameleon'. Some folks tell you how to get rid of that little stub - however, that was some old posts that could have been lost when the board went down.

He's referring to a different stylus. The C for M500 has never been discussed here before.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Thanks Scarborr, sorry.:o

Yes, this is the better stylus.

I removed the clip, reshaped the head with an Xacto knife so the bottom is curved, filled in the holes left by the clip with black epoxy, and flush cut the rubber button on top.

Then I separated the bottom part and sliced the plastic barrel to lenght, cut the reset pin off the metal pen cartridge holder, cut the spring in half, lost the spring, cursed loudly, searched around on the floor for ten minutes, cursed some more, searched for another five minutes, found the spring, reinsereted the spring and glued the metal pen cartridge holder back onto the barrel.

What I have left is a spring tipped stylus with a pen and it fits well.

It was a labor of love.

This was done at home by an amateur. Don't try this on a professional closed course.

YMMV.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Originally posted by Schavlan
    It was a labor of love.

This was done at home by an amateur. Don't try this on a professional closed course.
    We shouldn't need to jump through all these hoops for a decent stylus. Why oh why isn't the 3rd party stylus manufacturers doing something for the 7135 community?

I've got stylus-dollars to burn and no where to spend them!!!:cashwalle
    Dave

I ordered this Pentopia m500 last night. Sounds like I might have to dig out the old Dremel Kit. The things we'll do for love.

Before you criticise me...walk a mile in my shoes...that way you'll be a mile away and have my shoes.

-Smoothop

Re: The stylus to get

Originally posted by RangerScott
    I just got the perfect stylus folks.

Pentopia Chameleon M500
    (at CompUSA: sku 295740 $12.8

Take out the little metal clip and you're good to go. Just a little bit of a stub, but no big deal.
    Hang on, one of the responses to this original post has a 35-step plan to make the thing fit. What's the minumum you have to do?

Schavlan:

How did you separate the bottom half? (Get the brass part out)
    Evan

Never mind, I went for it.

Ok, it is TOTALLY possible to make a PERFECT Pentopia for the 7135 using the Chameleon M500!

Hardest part was aligning my drill press to hollow out an original plastic stylus top to replace the original cap. took over an hour and a half and killed one plastic stylus. But, on my second attempt (And I am not sure if this is true for all stylus) I cut smother (no melted over plastic) and at least towards the top, the stylus is hollow! Used it to guide incremental drill bits to make a cap.

Locks in place looks oem!

Attached is the result. (Cap Off)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The stylus to get-cimg0572.jpg  
    Evan

(Cap on)

(Sorry bad pictures, fixed focus lens )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The stylus to get-cimg0573.jpg  
    Evan

Ranger Scott, you made altering this Pentopia sound like Utopia. It sounded like washing down blueberry pie with cold milk. Just finding the Dremel kit won't be easy in my back room...:violinist

'When you come to a fork in the road... pick it up, you might need it.'

-Smoothop

Smoothop, ahhh.... I wouldn't go as far as Utopia. There is still about a 3/8" stub left over. (I tried to modify mine, failed, bought another one.) Personally, it's good enough. Utopia??? hmmm... I think that may be pushing it just a bit.

The stuff about the Dremel, scares me.

Scott

Evan

Way to GO !!!

I saw your other post about the metal stylus and was absolutely INSPIRED.

So last night I cut off the top of an OEM stylus and drilled it out.

EN was out this morning, otherwise *I* would have posted first !!

AS to the bottom part, the metal cartridge holder unscrews from the plastic barrel to expose a reset pin. We don't need the reset pin so I cut that off.

I cut about three rings out of the plastic barrel, which included the brass threaded insert.

I drilled out the barrel just a little bit wider to make room for the threads and then glued the cartridge holder into the barrel.

My final result looks OEM and is the same size, so it fits perfectly.

I attach a pic.

Ummm---I THOUGHT I attached a pic. See the next few posts for the pictures

Dremels and Drill Bits...Oh My!

Quite frankly--it all scares me.

I keep checking the classifieds to see if any of the mechanically inclined is offering to sell an improved stylus, but I have yet to see a post. Anyone care to make one for a mechanically challenged chic who is willing to pay you for your time and materials?
    Sue

*It's not just a phone, it's an adventure.

Try this pic

I'm sorry if it's too big. I've been trying to get the pic sized right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The stylus to get-dsc00087.jpg  

Schavlan:

Awesome! Exactly like mine (Nice that you have a camera that can do macros.)

I kind of figured there was no removing of the brass so I just went and cut it. 2 ribs at first, then a total of 4 ribs as yours. The spring I cut 1/3 off only.

It was funny. When I did the cut, the part of the brass holding in the spring shot out and I lost it. For a moment I thought of your experience loosing the spring. I laughed then cursed a bit in your honor but quickly learned I did not need it.

When you cut the plastic stylus, was it hollow as well? Mine was and worked well as a guide to line up the drill. I did not hollow out the front part but rather forced the threads to screw in. Worked nice.

What I like best is that the ink does not have to be cut down like the universal Pentopia.

Oh, and check my posting time. I posted it last night so you still would not have beaten me to it this morning! :p
    Evan

With the cap on

Here is another shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The stylus to get-dsc00088-copy.jpg  

Evan,

Yes, The stylus is hollow.

My first pass was to force the threads into the barrel. I found after about a week of using the stylus, that the threads loosened up and the barrel fell off, so I wound up gluing it in.

Another little problem I had was the OEM stylus.

There is some round flashing at the base of the protrusion on top. After I cut the the top to length and drilled it out, the round flashing popped out making a hole in the cap.

I had to fill that in with a little epoxy.

But the final result (I'll call it Stylus 2.1) is great. It looks OEM, and now I have a pen with me whenever I need it.

EVAN--I just had a terrible thought.........

Does this make us GEEKS ??

What brand of Pocket Protector do you use ??

Also, I've found that I first need to put some Vaseline on the chip before I insert it into my butt, or it hurts.