+ Reply to Thread

Laptop and 7135 as a modem

I am trying to use my 7135 as a modem for my wintel laptop and mac laptop. I try to connect using verizon's quick to net (14.4) but I get a message "Authentication Failed." I previously had a 6035, and it worked fine.

I have figured out (with the help of verzon techs) that my phone is trying to connect to their faster network (Express Network) thus causing the error because it uses a different user name and password. The phone screen confirms this because it reads "connecting at high speed" instead of "standard speed"

I have the correct user name and password, (qnc qnc) and it dials the correct number (#777). The phone will connect to the network correctly by itself, but not as a laptop modem.

The exact same thing happens on both laptops, so I had the phone's firmware upgraded by Verizon. They've also triple checked their network seetings for my phone. I even tried a demo phone in the store, and that does the same thing.

Has anyone had the same problem? Or give me some more ideas, because Verizon and I have given up. They just said the 7135 can only use the express network and I don't want to pay the extra $80 per month.

DRC
    I use a free dial-up internet access service (NetZero) and it works fine with my Win XP laptop. What kind of dial-up service are you trying to contact? Took me a while to tweak it into running...
    DRC

Verizonwireless has the account installed on the smartphones. I have a DSL at home so there is no number to dial up. I guess I can use netzero, but i was hoping to use the verizon account like the phone is supposed to.

its not hard to get it to work like a modem. make sure you have your phone on the fax/modem app and the setting at data next call. this was discussed many many times on this board since you are new i will leave you with two things
    first welcome to the board. EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know is here and if you cant find it ask someone has probably already done it
    second the search button is your friend. if you search and still can't find what you are looking for the you are more than welcome to ask away

Thank you, I did extensive searching and read lots of discussions and articles, but none seem to have the same problem I do. My 6035 works with the laptops, the 7135 does not. The Verizon store couldn't even get the 2g to work, only the 3g.

pzc
    I had an authentication issue when using 7135 as a dial-up modem to my company's network. The solution was:

Phone Prefs > Phone Service > Enable CHAP Authentication > Enabled.

It always resets to Disabled on 7135 soft resets and I have to change it back manually. I wish I knew how to make this setting permanent.

For using 7135 as a wireless modem to internet see here:
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6851

Once you have tried the much faster 1X network you will never go back. It's the difference between an agonizingly slow GSM connection and a speedy 1X connection, night and day.

Don't judge the speed of the 1X connection by the browsers that run on the 7135. When you use the phone as a 1X modem it flies in comparison!
    -Data Rox

How do you?

I finally bought a laptop. Not a new one but a pretty nice one. The problem - I want to use my phone as a modem to connect to the internet through my laptop. I looked at the threads prior to this one and could not find a simple step by step.

Can someone help me out?

My computer operating system is windows 98.

Thanks in advance

Go to the 7135 FAQ section of the forums on this web site. One FAQ in particular may be this one - http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6851

It is specific to Windows 2000, but it might help you.
    Michael

USB Modem ... Great news to me!

Up until now, I thought the wireless modem function would only work via the serial connection (since it is a 'phone', not a 'palm' function).

I tried it and it works well.

Thanks,

Bob G.

Still Trying

Is is just me the instructions on adding the kyocera as a modem to my laptop are fine, but when I try using the instructions that were posted on smartphonesource for W2K, I go crazy. Is there just a simple step by step that I can follow for my operating system? I have windows 98.

How about Windows 98 too?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I Don't Understand

I might be missing your point Markito

I have windows 98 operating system on my laptop. I am looking for instructions on how to connect the phone with the laptop in order to surf the net. I already understand the part about adding the kyocera modem to the laptop, but after that the information like #777 and my number and how to connect are like french to me!

Can you help? I would appreciate anything, but please don't send me to look at the instructions for W2k. I tried to understand them but I don't.

Thanks

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar

Re: I Don't Understand

Originally posted by esmass
    I might be missing your point Markito

I have windows 98 operating system on my laptop. I am looking for instructions on how to connect the phone with the laptop in order to surf the net. I already understand the part about adding the kyocera modem to the laptop, but after that the information like #777 and my number and how to connect are like french to me!

Can you help? I would appreciate anything, but please don't send me to look at the instructions for W2k. I tried to understand them but I don't.

Thanks
    Look, a modem is a modem. If Windows 98 is recognizing your kyocera as a modem (meaning that you have it set up as a modem in the OS) then you have the hard part set up already.

When you run the Data/FAX application on your phone, you turn it into what any PC would see as a modem. When you put it in the cradle, as far as the PC is concerned, there's a modem attached to that serial port. If you're using USB, your USB cable is pretending to be a serial port to the OS so even if you're using USB the same rules apply.

At that point, you need to set up Dial Up networking to talk over that serial port, and to run the network over that serial port.

Now, before you set up Dial Up networking, you need to know who to connect to. In the case of Verizon, they provide a special dialup number and account for your use that works better than dialing into an ISP. The phone number to call is "#777", and you log in using the account name 'qnc' and password 'qnc'.

That should explain the parts that are confusing with respect to the cell phone. As to connecting up dial-up networking, it's been so long since I did this I don't want to give incorrect information, so I'll refer you to someone with more skills in this arena.
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

All-Purpose Guru says:

"Look, a modem is a modem. If Windows 98 is recognizing your kyocera as a modem (meaning that you have it set up as a modem in the OS) then you have the hard part set up already."
    -------------------------------------------------------

So I got that part. In the Windoze 2000 instructions, I just followed the steps far enough to get the KWC modem installed. No problem. From there, I did as I would for any other modem: I set it up to call my ISP (i.e.: phone number, login, etc. I believe Windoze 98 has a "Network Connection Wizard" for this.).

But then, All-Purpose Guru goes on to say:

"In the case of Verizon, they provide a special dialup number and account for your use that works better than dialing into an ISP. The phone number to call is "#777", and you log in using the account name 'qnc' and password 'qnc'."

------------------------------------------------------------

What's up with this? I assumed this was an extra paid service. Are you saying that Verizon provides an ISP service for no additional cost?

And how is it better than my ISP?

'Surprised in Seattle'

Only one reason its better

:cashwalle

What ISP service are you using? AOL, MSN, Earthlink? You can use you phone as a modem, just tap on fax/modem. Your computer should find it. Using Verizon's #777 is a little faster because it uses some compression but it is not necessary.

It doesn't matter what ISP you have. you don't need one. using #777 you are ising Verizon as your ISP

Can I use my 7135 as a dailup connection???

Ok I am new to this and I was wanting to use my 7135 as a modem to connect it to a notebook puter as a modem and use a dailup connection like AOL so when i am traveling i could get to the internet. My cell sevice provider is NTelos and they do not have internet service but they are Digital. My question is can and how can I setup my 7135 to connect to AOL from my phone to get on the net wireless? Somebody told me I had to have a cell phone company that has internet before i could do this.

Also I have a cable modem at home with a router. Would it be possible to call my house and let my modem in my puter at home to connect me to the internet through my cable modem on my 7135 to my notebook without having to pay for another dailup connection?