+ Reply to Thread

Using 7135 while on data call

I use the 7135 as a modem on Verizon's Express Network -- excellent results as long as the AC adapter is in use. I can receive calls -- the phone rings, I answer, and when done, the laptop automatically reconnects me to the Express Network. But, has anyone figured out how to make a phone call or use other Palm functions without disconnecting the data session first? This capability must exist somehow since incoming calls create the perfect situation.

Thanks to all.

i think the only time you can access anything on the phone side make/recieve calls is while your connection is dormant. yes that works if i am using EN i can call/recieve during dormant mode but as soon as i am active again i can call my cell and it goes directly to voice mail.

Originally posted by PNYPWR76
    i think the only time you can access anything on the phone side make/recieve calls is while your connection is dormant. yes that works if i am using EN i can call/recieve during dormant mode but as soon as i am active again i can call my cell and it goes directly to voice mail.
    I can't replicate this. I can receive calls when online. The phone just rings and i can answer. when the call is done, i hang up and it jsut dials *777 to reconnect.

But, I cannot make a call while the modem is connected. When I push any button, I get a message telling me i need to end my "current data session".

There must be a way to put the data session "on hold". Anyone from Kyocera listening in?

Thanks.

are you using Express Network Or Quick 2 Net? Quick 2 Net won't let you do anything unless you are disconnected.

are you using Express Network Or Quick 2 Net? Quick 2 Net won't let you do anything unless you are disconnected.
    Express Network.

Administrator
    in short, no.

when using the 3G data connection, you can only use the phone when it is dormant.. this is the way the cdma2000 spec is set up.. future technologies should make it a possibility to make calls and use the data connection simultaneously..

if you are using the modem, you can not use the phone and modem at the same time...

Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Originally posted by 7135dan
    But, has anyone figured out how to make a phone call or use other Palm functions without disconnecting the data session first?
    Marctronixx and the others have the data/voice simultaneous usage question answered well. As far as using other Palm functions without disconnecting... you can use just about every function of the phone, that doesn't require voice, while the data connection is active
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by marctronixx
    in short, no.

when using the 3G data connection, you can only use the phone when it is dormant.. this is the way the cdma2000 spec is set up.. future technologies should make it a possibility to make calls and use the data connection simultaneously..

if you are using the modem, you can not use the phone and modem at the same time...
    Thanks. I understand that they can't really be used at the same time. But when I receive an incoing call while on a data session, the phone rings (maybe the data conversation is dormant when that happens). The screen on the 7135 switches to the normal incoming call screen and I can answer. The moment I hang up, the phone automatically reconnects to the data session. I do not need to use Windows Dial-up to reconnect. I want to be able to do the same thing for an outbound call.

But when I receive an incoing call while on a data session, the phone rings (maybe the data conversation is dormant when that happens).
    That would have to be the case (that it's in dormant mode when the call comes in). When it's in dormant mode you can also make outgoing calls, and you should be able to reconnect immediately after the outgoing call is complete (look for the double gray lightning bolts, top center on the phone screen).

Re: Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Marctronixx and the others have the data/voice simultaneous usage question answered well. As far as using other Palm functions without disconnecting... you can use just about every function of the phone, that doesn't require voice, while the data connection is active
    Sigh.... Once again, we have a thread where people are talking about two totally different things and everyone is confused...

7135Dan is talking about using the 7135 as a Modem on his computer. In an EN connection in this mode, you can receive an inbound call if the EN connection is dormant, answer it, and when you hang up, you are dropped back to the Data/Fax application and can continue data. You can not initiate a call, or use ANY OTHER palm functions without leaving the Fax/Data application, which disconnects your data. This is a shortcoming of the 7135 that I would like to see resolved as well.

The rest of you are talking about using the 7135 Data capabilities standalone, where it is true you can access any Palm function, and if the EN connection goes dormant, you can also place outbound calls, and when you disconnect, your dorment data connection is still there and available.

Alan (geek translator)

thanks for the translation

sorry i guess i didn't read enough and didn't know you were using it as a modem. i would hesitate to use the phone for anything other than for a browser or modem while connected to the net using Express Network. There are times when i can be on the net using EN and swithing apps too much will cause the phone to lock up. recieving/calling even during dormant mode is just asking to lock up the phone. when somebody calls me i look at the caller id and hit the end button so it stops ringing and just call them back. it doesn't take much to reconnect.

Re: Re: Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Originally posted by alanb
    Sigh.... Once again, we have a thread where people are talking about two totally different things and everyone is confused...

7135Dan is talking about using the 7135 as a Modem on his computer. In an EN connection in this mode, you can receive an inbound call if the EN connection is dormant, answer it, and when you hang up, you are dropped back to the Data/Fax application and can continue data. You can not initiate a call, or use ANY OTHER palm functions without leaving the Fax/Data application, which disconnects your data. This is a shortcoming of the 7135 that I would like to see resolved as well.

The rest of you are talking about using the 7135 Data capabilities standalone, where it is true you can access any Palm function, and if the EN connection goes dormant, you can also place outbound calls, and when you disconnect, your dorment data connection is still there and available.

Alan (geek translator)
    Thank you, Alan. Your explanation matches my experience. So, is Robert referring to standalone usage when he posts that calls can be made while the data session is "dormant". If so, that makes sense. But I have not seen this capability when using the 7135 as a modem.

Re: Re: Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Originally posted by alanb
    ... and, fortunately, we have alanb here to step in and provide clarification and enlightenment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Originally posted by Robert K.
    ... and, fortunately, we have alanb here to step in and provide clarification and enlightenment
    Thank you all. I am disappointed in the answer, of course, but I am confident that I can stop looking for a way to do this.

yes while using the 7135 alone on EN you can use all the functions of the palm and phone. phone only while dormant. again just a warning that switching apps during EN might cause lockup. while as modem you can only recieve and also only while dormant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Using 7135 while on data call

Thank you, Alan. Your explanation matches my experience. So, is Robert referring to standalone usage when he posts that calls can be made while the data session is "dormant". If so, that makes sense. But I have not seen this capability when using the 7135 as a modem.
    Yep... that's what I was talking about (and, as Alan pointed out, the fax/modem mode is different)... my bad :p

wow i guess i have to brush up on my typing skills. the thread is over before i finish typing my reply:biglaughb

again just a warning that switching apps during EN might cause lockup.
    Is this deja vu, or didn't you just say that a couple minutes ago? :p

I have seen a few people talk about similar problems... but it doesn't seem to be that common. I don't think I have ever had those kinds of problems and I use my 7135 frequently while it is connected to EN.

It happend quite a bit when i first recieved my phone then i stopped flipping through all the apps while on en. now i just go from browser to 1 other app then back. haven't had any issues locking up since i started slowing down my app usage while using EN