Poll: Is Act for Palm better than Act Link 2.0?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Act for Palm OS

Act for Palm OS

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.

I use Act 6.0 on my PC and just bought a 7135. I purchased Act for the Palm OS (this is different than the Act Link 2.0 that comes with Act). It was a $69 download from Act.

The phone has been acting strangely. I don't know if this is a phone issue or due to Act:

Sometimes when on a call that requires you to input keypad entries (say using voice mail where you have to enter a # or *) the keypad freezes. No matter how hard I push the character, nothing happens. The only thing I can do is end the call.

After this happens, my ACT icon is gone from the main screen. It used to be before Address Book. Since I don't use Address Book, but rather use Act as my source for contacts, I'm effectively screwed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

DAS
    The main reason for purchase of the 7135 was to use ACT on it, which I do. It performs as I would expect it to and touch wood have not had any issues with it on the phone. ACT for palm was the very first app installed. I sycronise with my laptop daily I occassionaly get a hotsync log which almost always is associated with ACT syncronisation, if I understand the log correctly it appears that a contact has been altered in the 7135 and on the laptop.

While I find that ACT for Palm performs everything I had read it was supposed to, since seeing other palm applications run on the 7135 ACT looks dated. I suppose this sort of thing really is cosmetic but hey that's the type of guy I am. I also would like a 'Today' style screen with an overview of tasks, appointments etc to be completed.

Regards,

DAS

I also live by Act! and have for about 11 years. I have a large 12 year old database rich in history and notes for about 1200 Accounts. I loaded up Act! for Palm on my 7135 2 weeks ago and Bada-bing, so far so good.

No crashes, no losses. Finally, the database and phone is together in one hand!

My company uses Act! as our main sales database and records each transaction detail. (This takes dedication) We're also running MAS 90 for Invoicing and accounting and soon it will all be jibing (is that a word?). Best Software Co. now owns them both by chance and they have made it compatible. Just pure luck on our part, but sometimes better lucky than good.

As for on the road sales and using Act! for Palm. Very nice. Finally, no laptop, no seperate PDA with battery problems. Whamo, my cell phone has the info I need and dials the numbers for me. Not rocket science, but finally a convenient format.

I run no hacks and keep things pretty simple. I have not been updating info back and forth to the desktop. My office updates me with new accounts, notes and history with a complete ovewrwrite and haven't been syncing both ways. This keeps it very stable, although I am not updating the original database I created as well as is possible. This will be the next step. To be syncing up more often and exchange info both ways.

Hopefully, it stays this stable when I do so.

'A company is nothing until a sale is made.'

-Smoothop

I have Act! for Palm. Act! 6 with Peachtree link (another Best Software product) on the desktop. No problems with my 7135. I have mine chock full of stuff. I have about 1 meg of main memory left. My 128M Sandisk card is full. 1506 contacts and Act! is plenty fast. There are a few little things that could be better. Peachtree Accounting has all my customer names in the (duh) customer name field. Act! converts this to Company name. My customers spouses names I have in the Contact field. Ergo, Act! sorts and finds alphabetically by first name. This is not helpful. I use the Palm find command as a work around. Works great.

Act Calendar

I've entered appointments (meetings) in the Act Calendar, but they don't appear when I look in the Date Book.

Would Act appointments be someplace else?

Smoothop, great news!!

It's great to hear that the conversion to Act for palm has gone that well.

I've been running it for many months now, and can easily leave the laptop at home for most road trips.

UziDoesIt, when you enter appts in the Act calender, and sync to Act for Palm, the appts will not show up on the palm datebook.

Act for Palm is a separate piece of software, that syncs directly to Act6 on the main computer.

I will use link occationally to move the email addresses(which doen's always work) from Act6 to the Palm address book. This alows me to just grab a email address, and send a message.

Thanks!

This forum is awesome!:angel2

michael1, Is your Peachtree Accounting automatically adding notes and/or history files etc to your Act! database?

Is this a leap? They say Mass (90) is now compatible but how compatible? What can be shared and exchanged, everything? Maybe Peachtree is similiarly compatible to Act! as Mass (90) is.

B/C then I would not only have history, notes, last ten detailed transactions but I'd also have all open orders and possible even all quotes. We're entering quotes in Excel in compatible spreadsheets... That'd make me a master of info without calling and having the office have to look into it.

What a great example of the power of a 7135 Smartphone. Can not imagine life without it now literally.

Brought it out at the sales meeting and watched my laptop challenged sales peers eyes pop when I gave them the demo.

Sold!!!

As for my 7135 & Act! challenged competition- L@@K Out!!!

Smoothop

Smoothop, Check ACT

Check the ACT website, because I think that they've done alot of work to integrate ACT with the accounting software.

I haven't looked into this extensively because my company runs from an AS400 platform, but that would be awsome!!

Breeze, thanks. I looked a bit on act.com but couldn't find anything on the MA 90/ Act! interface... But I will call or make our IT person call support and find out.

DAS, I put BackdropGC on my phone and it makes Act! look a lot better. Just using the demo, but I'll probable spend the $16.

Does anyone out there use email to update their outside reps with their Act! 6.0 database?

You have to spend money to make money.

-Smoothop

MA/90 Integration

Smoothop, I went on the Act website, and near the top and far right is a link to "Best Software". Being that they have current links for the Peachtree accounting into Act, maybe since they write MA/90, they may have the means to import and export data with ACT.
    Best of Luck.

DAS
    Smoothop - Thanks for the backdropgc suggestion, I will check it out. As for syncing ACT via email, I sync the ACT database via email with one other person. So my process is hotsync phone to laptop, sync with another ACT user via email.

I am yet to fully confirm the following observations.
    1. New contacts added on the 7135 when syn'cd come across without a space between the first and last names.

2. History/Notes etc made by workmate and appearing on my laptop via his email sync do not go to my 7135 during the hotsync process. This is not overly concerning due to the nature of our positions and the type of logs that will be entered. But I imagine for some this would be concerning, again I reinforce these are just observations. I have done no testing to support these statements so will be happily stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Regards,

DAS

History/Notes

Das,

Is it possible, that the sync'd information appears in the history tab only.

I've noticed that some of the information that appears in the History/Notes tab of the laptop ACT 6, is split into two different screens on the 7135 Act for Palm.

Some of the informatio will go to the Notes screen, and some will go to the History screen depending on what type of information it is.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Smoothop
    [B]michael1, Is your Peachtree Accounting automatically adding notes and/or history files etc to your Act! database?

Is this a leap? They say Mass (90) is now compatible but how compatible? What can be shared and exchanged, everything? Maybe Peachtree is similiarly compatible to Act! as Mass (90) is.

B/C then I would not only have history, notes, last ten detailed transactions but I'd also have all open orders and possible even all quotes. We're entering quotes in Excel in compatible spreadsheets... That'd make me a master of info without calling and having the office have to look into it.

Alas, I don't get any financial info into the 7135. What the Act!/Peachtree link does is imports records from Peachtree into Act! Likewise you can enter a new customer in Act! and it can create a new account in Peachtree. Notes and Activities are synced with the Palm. I would love it if I could get year to date, or even current month financial information.
    I've thought about taking a snapshot of customer info and making an excel spreadsheet with it. The problem there is I would need to repeat the process frequently and I don't have the patience to do it more than occasionally.

I found that using Backdrop GC and the download backdrop pic called Ocean, that Act! looks much better and is still easy to read. Set the brightness on the backround 3/4 high so the color is light and it will be easy to read.

It's Much more impressive to show customers and more pleasing to the eye. While in phone mode the sky part of the picture is at the top of the screen while the bottom, where the ocean was, has the menu window. So that looks better also.

Peace-through overwhelming force-out

Smoothop

First time here, only got my 7135 yesterday. Seems like a wealth of info. I have been using ACT and the hot sync went fine except every hotsync deletes my Voice dial list. A call to Kyocera confirmed that it is common. Any solutions?
    LF

Sync overwriting

Lethal,

I've had the same problem. I've found that when I just do a syn'c; the phone will save the voice dial and speed dial numbers. But when I do a overwrite for my laptop to the 7135; because there is no Voice dial or speed dial file on the laptop, it erases everything in those files.

So if I've forgotten how to set up preferences, or there's a better way, some PLEASE let me know!!!

Lethal, Breeze, for what it's worth...I haven't had the problem with my speed and voice dials and I'm always overwriting from Act! 6.0 on my desktop PC to Act! for Palm 1.01 on the 7135.

I've never lost the dial files for any reason, and I've never had to do a hard reset. Few soft resets but that's it, no file losses.

Best of luck with it

Over and out

Smoothop

FYI Act! afficianados, Ive been using Afterburner to get a little more speed out of Act! and it has been working great for about a week so far. I'm clocking all my apps at 50MHz and so far no crashes and no missed calls. My system was rated to be used at 54MHz max. At 50 MHz it's over 50% faster and very noticable.

I feel a need-a need for speed!

Smoothop