+ Reply to Thread

WAP Browser - using minutes or data?

I searched but did not find a good answer for this.

I access my work e-mail via WAP and was using the OpenWave browser in my T720 - worked fine.

I have been using the OpenWave browser in my 7135 with no problems.

When using the OpenWave WAP browser the green "phone in use" icon is on. I have a finite number of minutes per month, but I am on the all-you-can-eat $45 data plan.

My question is:

How can I be sure the OpenWave WAP browser is using the 1x connection (the 1x icon is in the upper left corner) and be sure this is considered a "data call" by Verizon?

I found this message, and it leads me to think that these are "Wireless Web" minutes and not EN data calls. If this is correct, then I am eating up (voice) minutes using the WAP browser, where I could stay online "forever" using WebPro or EIS.

Link to another msg

Thanks!
    Dennis

Re: WAP Browser - using minutes or data?

Originally posted by dwynne
    I searched but did not find a good answer for this.

I access my work e-mail via WAP and was using the OpenWave browser in my T720 - worked fine.

I have been using the OpenWave browser in my 7135 with no problems.

When using the OpenWave WAP browser the green "phone in use" icon is on. I have a finite number of minutes per month, but I am on the all-you-can-eat $45 data plan.

My question is:

How can I be sure the OpenWave WAP browser is using the 1x connection (the 1x icon is in the upper left corner) and be sure this is considered a "data call" by Verizon?

I found this message, and it leads me to think that these are "Wireless Web" minutes and not EN data calls. If this is correct, then I am eating up (voice) minutes using the WAP browser, where I could stay online "forever" using WebPro or EIS.

Link to another msg

Thanks!
    Dennis
    I think you will either need to check your bill or check with VZW to be sure, but I am fairly certain you are using Wireless Web minutes when you use the WAP browser.

You may want to see if you can access your email from Blazer which does a good job with most WAP sites but you can make your connection with Express network.

Alan

Re: Re: WAP Browser - using minutes or data?

Originally posted by alanb
    I think you will either need to check your bill or check with VZW to be sure, but I am fairly certain you are using Wireless Web minutes when you use the WAP browser.

You may want to see if you can access your email from Blazer which does a good job with most WAP sites but you can make your connection with Express network.

Alan
    Thanks for the reply, Alan

I am afraid to wait for the bill, so I will try to call Verizon C/S and see what they say

Is Blazer free? I found it on PalmGear & Handango but it is $20 for version 2.0.

Dennis

WAP Browser vs Blazer

I may be wrong here, but this is my recollection of Verizon's billing.

The Open Wave browser is WAP, Wireless Access Protocol.

Verizon offers a plan for about $7.00 a month that has unlimited access. Unless you have that plan activated, the WAP browser will fail to connect.

The included EIS Browser, or 3rd party Browsers such as Blazer or WebPro use HTML protocol.

When you use these browsers you are billed according to your connection type.

If you use the qnc (14.4K) connection, you are billed against your included minutes. If you have free weekends and night, then of course, you can stay online all weekend and all night for no additional charge.

If you have Verizon Express Network and use the 1XRTT connection (3G) you are billed against your data plan. KBUUE is unlimited for $44.95 a month. Other plans are available.

I hope this is helpful.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

WAP is taken off of air time and there are "free" WAP portals out there so you don't have to pay $7.00 for verizons portal, but i would suggest to use a wap capable browser.