+ Reply to Thread

Phone shutting itself off

Lately the phone has been shutting itself off at what seemed to be random times.

The auto off/on setting is unchecked in Prefs.

After much puzzlement I seem to see a correlation with use of outgoing SMS. If I send a SMS message, the phone is likelier to switch off. Doesn't seem to hold for incoming SMS or for other wireless connections such as email.

When I plug the AC adapter directly into the 7135, it can't hold a good connection and charge. When I charge in the cradle, it's fine.

Any advice??

Very strange. I wish that I could help, but I have never experienced any of those problems. Dare I suggest a hard reset?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Don't you just hate hard resets?

I could do one and a full restore, but what's the point? Is there any benefit to that, or do I have to pick through the files to reinstall and spend maybe 5 or 6 hours testing one thing at a time....

I don't see how any software change could fix the charging problem, but I guess it's possible it could stop the phone from turning off....

For those who do the hard reset and clean out method, can you give me any tips for shortening the process?

Here's what I do now to help "Manage" the next time I want to do the hard reset and clean-out method.

I keep all the software that I use regularly and which has proven itself as reliable in a folder on my desktop computer. I keep all registration codes/keys together (I have a piece of software for this - Passwords Plus). If I ever need to do a hard reset clean-out again, I anticipate it will take me no longer than 30 minutes to complete the process.

Mine does that too!
    Very annoying. It seemed to correlate roughly to when I installed a special version of EnergySaver (it was 1.2a, because 1.4 wasn't working for me; basically it was 1.2 with a bugfix in it).

At around the same time, I noticed my battery life getting shorter. So I switched to my newer battery. I still got the shutoffs a few times, but it seems to be much less now.

Also, I've been trying to witness one of the random shutoffs, but they're so random that it's quite difficult. I got within a few seconds once, and I'm pretty sure it's not using the normal power-off routine, because I didn't actually see the LCD say "Powering Off". Does anyone know what happens when the 7135 shuts off due to low battery level? Does it show "Powering Off"? Maybe a bad battery (or contacts?) was causing the sporadic shutoffs.

I don't use SMS, and my charger seems fine whatever with method I charge. I usually plug the charger directly into the phone, but occasionally plug it into the USB cable. I don't use the cradle much.

I caught it in the act!

My phone was vibe-ing with an incoming call, and I tried answering with the send button, but no response. I also tried stopping the vibe with the end button, also no response. After a few more presses to try to stop the madness, some of the icons at the top of the phone screen disappeared (I forget which ones), then the whole screen suddenly changed to the "Phone is Off" message.

Can't explain it at all! But it doesn't happen often enough for me to trouble with a replacement...

Aha. I too installed the newer Energy Saver, and I too find much shorter battery life now.

I deleted Energy Saver as soon as I started experiencing this problem.

Is it possible that app left something on my Palm? What would I look for?

The charging problem is separate, and seems hardware related at the small plug in charging port. When I charge through the cradle, it works fine.

7135 App Developer davewalthall's Avatar
    Originally posted by gellmanb
    Aha. I too installed the newer Energy Saver, and I too find much shorter battery life now.
    How sad! That certainly wasn't the purpose of the app. The only explanation I can think of is if your signal goes in and out at a faster rate than the search time, the extra launches of the app might lower the battery life.

Is it possible that app left something on my Palm? What would I look for?
    There should be nothing left. The program isn't a hack, although it does use something called procalarms. Unfortunately, PalmOS doesn't allow you to know when an app is deleted, so any procalarms that are set when it Energy Saver is deleted may cause some instability. (Procalarms are only set when the phone is searching, so if you had good signal when you deleted it, there are none set. The readme has advice for uninstalling.) A soft reset will clear any pending procalarms, if you want to be safe.

There shouldn't be anything left, but if you want to check, heres what the is normally. There is that app, a database, and a preference. I think that the app has the type appl and the database is either DATA or data. Both have the creator id EnSv. The database should be deleted with the app automatically. (All preferences are cleared at reset, and don't do anything.)

David
    char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

I hasten to say:

1. We have only two data points here, and we can't know Energy Saver caused theh problem.

2. I applaud any developer who gives more capability to the 7135.

No blame. Just trying to sort out the puzzle.

Thanks for the advice.

I also do not think ES is causing any problems.

I disabled ES and soft reset, then ran for a day with it disabled.

Phone still shut off occasionally.

Also, I'm running on my newer battery with ES enabled and the battery life is fine now. For me, it doesn't seem like the sporadic shutoffs are related to ES or the battery.

I have a quirky 7135, and I knew that ever since I first tried to replace the battery. It's a good thing I can live with the quirks, even the ones that appeared later.

Converged
    I too seem to be having this problem with my phone...It started a couple of days ago only occasionaly and has progressed to the point where it either wont turn on or will shut itself off within 10 secs of turing it on.

I am not nor have I ever run EnergySaver so I know that is not the problem. I havent installed any new programs latley so this makes me think it may be a hardware problem.

If anyone who has had this happen to them and found a way to fix it (other than insurance replacement hopefully) I would love to hear about it. Did the hard reset help anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Just curious--are any of you running Tealmaster with profile mapping? Basically this is the feature that changes the hacks that are running depending on which application is running. Whenever I enable this function, my battery life drops like a stone. Normally, I leave my phone on all night and it drains about 25% overnight with ES running. I am in a fringe area, and ES does occasionally turn off my phone. With Tealmaster profile mapping on, my battery is dead every morning.

Converged
    I am not running Tealmaster

I got impatient and tried a hard reset...did nothing. Even before I restored my data it still didn't turn on. I tried placing the phone in the cradle and turning it on and it came on. FIguring it had to be some power problem, I swapped my batteries and the problem got a bit better. Only turns itself off every couple of hours or so. Still really annoying, but not as bad.

This has happened to me too. Anytime this happnes, I just go to the coporate store and the technicians (clueless), just switch my phones out. This will make the 4th phone in 4 months that I have had to switch to. In the meatime, I just bought a i600 and haven't had a problem with it yet.

I've had the same problem. Several months ago I talked Kyocera into replacing my phone because the phone would turn off randomly (though it seems to happen more overnight).

New phone did the same thing.

My solution:

1. Phone Prefs
    2. Power
    3. Check Power phone on at reset
    4. Check Auto Power
    5. Time On: 2:00am
    6. Time Off: 1:50am

Since doing the above, it works perfectly.