+ Reply to Thread

Auto Fill of Words

I am not sure if this is a Palm issue or a GroupWise client issue. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

I am running a GroupWise client on my Smartphone. When I put in the first letter of the first name of my logon name "m" for Malcolm, it auto-fills the rest of my name. Unfortunately, sometime "in the past", I have misspelled my name and put two blanks or spaces in between my first and last name. That does not work for the GroupWise logon and it fails. I can tap over to the extra space and erase it, that works. I have also entered the correct spelling (one blank between) at some point, but in the hierarchy, the two blank version always pulls up before the one blank version or my name.

I cannot figure out where that spelling is "stored". It's not; as far as I could find, in Graffiti, or Shortcuts. That auto fill does not work in Memo. I'm stumped as to where it may be stored. I'd like to find it and delete the incorrect version.

Stealth Converged
    I have this exact same problem. I would appreciate some input on this as well.

BigH

pzc
    Same here. Would love to know how to delete/edit it if needed.

Thanks

D_D
    when you say a groupwise client, what do you mean? the groupwise pqa?

I am using notifylink to synch with groupwise.

Stealth Converged
    Originally posted by D_D
    when you say a groupwise client, what do you mean? the groupwise pqa?
    Yes, I mean the GroupWise pqa. It is created during the installation of a GroupWise WebAccess server, and has the website/encryption information built into it.

Anyone have any thoughts yet?

BigH

D_D
    have you tried removing/deleting the pqa and reinstalling?

Yes, I did try deleting the Groupwise PQA and re-loading it. No change, all of the stored words still cam up after keying the first letter.

It looks like it is an attribute of the Palm Web Clipping application. I can recreate the same issue on any of the *.paq files that I have, all of which are initiated by Web Clipping. However, it does not occur in other stand-alone apps like memo, datebook, address etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to edit that within Web Clipping.

Stealth Converged

EUREKA!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I GOT him!! LOL

Pardon my elation, but as often as I use my GroupWise app, this was REALLY beginning to bother me. So finding a fix for this has been a Godsend.

Up front warning: this procedure involves manually editing a database! Make sure you know what you are doing! NO FLAMES if YOU screw up YOUR phone!

Okay. that said, here's the fix:

1. You have to have a hex editor or other program that directly edits Palm OS files. The one built into FileZ is the one I used. These instructions are based on using FileZ. Interpret as needed if you are using another hex editor.
    2. Open a listing of files on the PalmCard (internal memory).
    3. Scroll almost to the bottom and find a file called WebLib Autofill.
    4. Mark the file and select Edit from the File menu.
    5. A Record List will display, with the individual records listed on the left side, with header information for the selected record displayed on the right. Records are listed sequentially beginning at zero.
    6. Here's where it gets fun -- beginning with Record 0, select a record on the left and tap the View button on the bottom right of the display. The Hex Editor screen will appear with the record detail in hex on the left and decimal to the right.
    7. Check the record data in the decimal area. You are looking for the "quick-fill" item that you want to get rid of. You will typically see a small record with the actual item surrounded by ascii control characters. READ CAREFULLY to be sure you get the correct record.
    8. Tap Done at the bottom left of the screen.
    9. Continue selecting records and viewing detail until you find the item you wish to get rid of. Hopefully, you won't have to wade through too many records before you find the one you are looking for.
    10. When you find the record you want to delete, tap Done to get back to the Record List.
    11. At the Record List, tap the Delete button at the bottom right of the screen.
    12. A confirmation window will display. Tap Delete again to confirm. The Record List will refresh and you will be back at the top.

Hope this helps. Drop another post if you have questions. I'll do my best to answer. Also, check out another thread I am about to create that talks in these same terms about quick-fill or auto-fill for the Address Book. Same stuff applies.

BigH

Wow, excellent detective work BigH829! I'll have to get a hold of FILEZ and give it a try. Many thanks.