+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's New?

What's New?

Hi all,

Just back from 4 days in Bermuda. I've spent a few minutes looking around trying to get caught up, but thought maybe some nice fellow 7135 user wouild be kind enough to bring me up to date. Is there anything new regarding the 7135 battery recall? Any hints of new smartphones? Please bring me up to date on all the news that's worth sharing!

Thanks boys and girls!
    Dave

Let Me Get This................

You just spent 4 days in Bermuda while the rest of us froze our a$$e$ off, and the first thing you want to know about is your phone?

I'm not an MD (but I play one on television). I think you spent too much time in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! bk
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

I really would like to hear if anyone has any rumors on upcoming PalmOS or Kyo smartphones . . .
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

Re: Let Me Get This................

Originally posted by Krazman
    You just spent 4 days in Bermuda while the rest of us froze our a$$e$ off, and the first thing you want to know about is your phone?
    Well, for all but one of those days, the termperature in Bermuda was in the 50's, with frequent downpours and heavy wind. Fortunately my wonderful 7135 was working just fine, including placing and receiving phone calls. The 7135 is FAR more reliable than the weather in Bermuda!!!
    Dave

Well, for all but one of those days, the termperature in Bermuda was in the 50's, with frequent downpours and heavy wind.
    50 is still worlds away from our windchill of -30 in mass.
    lucky bast*&
    If it ain't broke... throw it on the ground again.

There is a rumor floating araound about a Treo 610 due out in March that will have a hi-rez screen, bluetooth, and increased memory. I have my doubts, no new listings on FCC and it seems far to quick for an "updated" Treo to be rolled out.

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    There is a rumor floating araound about a Treo 610 due out in March that will have a hi-rez screen, bluetooth, and increased memory. I have my doubts, no new listings on FCC and it seems far to quick for an "updated" Treo to be rolled out.
    How about voice recognition?
    Dave

Originally posted by dwdod
    How about voice recognition?
    I have read in a few different places that in the next 1-2 months that will be available (I could find the links if I tried hard enough). Supposedly it will allow for voice recordings that are limited only by the amount of storage space available on a SD card or internal RAM. It sounds really good from what I read.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I still am waiting for another clamshell . . .

Y'all have heard that Orange is doing T600's with push-to-talk, right? (Probably on the Treo forum, which I don't frequent all that much. ) Wonder if it will hit this side of the ocean.
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

Dunno...

Originally posted by theharmonyguy
    I really would like to hear if anyone has any rumors on upcoming PalmOS or Kyo smartphones . . .
    But I do know is that Kyocera is a "Bronze Sponsor" (i.e., third tier) of the PalmSource developer's conference which is coming up real soon now. That means that they're still involved in the Palm world.

I heard a funny rumor at the local Verizon store. Supposedly PalmOne was going to buy Kyocera. I suppose that Kyocera Wireless could be an unlikely possibility, but they insisted, no, it was Kyocera International. As in Kyoto Ceramics, aka Kyocera International, a $9 Billion conglomerate (2003 net income). Whew. Yeah, right.

Since Kyocera Wireless was originally part of Qualcomm, I suppose it could be under negotiation. But really I kinda doubt it.
    http://fogbound.net/flummox - Flummox! fun Palm OS Puzzle Game
    ----
    SjG

Re: Dunno...

Originally posted by libelle
    Since Kyocera Wireless was originally part of Qualcomm, I suppose it could be under negotiation. But really I kinda doubt it.

Hm, where did you get this information? Kyo manufactured phones as part of an agreement with Qualcomm, and then received (bought) the rights to the hardware division when QC did its historic split. The phones were basically the same, they just changed the labels, but a part of them? That's a new one on me. Kyocera has long made far more than just phones
    (No offense or insult intended). Qualcomm engineering is still in (just about) every phone that has 3G.

BTW, as for the Bermuda trip, I have to go check what pictures got uploaded heh...

As for new, I just heard that Verizon's test market of EDDO (sp.?) is working fine in Richmond, and a few other cities, and is due for a nationwide rollout this summer. It offers 300-500kbps throughput, and is 100% compatible (aside from some software and a few datapump chips, with the same aforementioned 3G technology (yes, your kyo will support it . Incidentally, it is expected to be priced the same as (or less than) the existing 1X.
    *drool*
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-22-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Re: Re: Dunno...

Originally posted by Copasetic
    [B]Hm, where did you get this information? Kyo manufactured phones as part of an agreement with Qualcomm, and then received (bought) the rights to the hardware division when QC did its historic split. The phones were basically the same, they just changed the labels, but a part of them? That's a new one on me. Kyocera has long made far more than just phones
    (No offense or insult intended). Qualcomm engineering is still in (just about) every phone that has 3G.
    I stand corrected.

I had understood it that what must have been the Kyo division that manufactured the phones was originally owned by Qualcomm.

Yeah, Kyocera as a company manufactures a lot of stuff, from laser printer toner, to ball-point pens, to semiconductor materials, to solar cells, to dinnerware, to automotive parts, and even kitchen sinks!
    http://fogbound.net/flummox - Flummox! fun Palm OS Puzzle Game
    ----
    SjG

Illegitimis nil carborundum DanDiego's Avatar

Exclamation Rumor from Verizon

Considering VZW's track record of mis-information and missed release dates for the 7135, it would be hard to believe anything like that coming from them, especially about what Palm One might be doing.

Re: Re: Dunno...

Originally posted by Copasetic
    As for new, I just heard that Verizon's test market of EDDO (sp.?) is working fine in Richmond, and a few other cities, and is due for a nationwide rollout this summer. It offers 300-500kbps throughput, and is 100% compatible (aside from some software and a few datapump chips, with the same aforementioned 3G technology (yes, your kyo will support it . Incidentally, it is expected to be priced the same as (or less than) the existing 1X.
    *drool*

What exactly is EDDO? Is it a next generation network protocol? Does it require hardware or is it purely new SW? you gotta give me more!

Re: Re: Re: Dunno...

Originally posted by Rstyle
    What exactly is EDDO? Is it a next generation network protocol? Does it require hardware or is it purely new SW? you gotta give me more!
    It's EV-DO. Yes, it is the next generation networking protocol. Yes, it requires new hardware.

Alan

Should we make this the new rumors thread? Not that there's much traffic so far, but I'm still hopeful.

There's another topic about EV-DO somewhere . . .
    >thg.