+ Reply to Thread

Witnessed Kyocera 7135 explode

I am new and sorry if this is old news, but I actually witnessed the Kyocera 7135 explode on a friend of mines belt. He was sitting in an open back chair and the phone (battery) exploded and looked like shrapnel on the floor. This occured back in Nov 2003 around the 20th of the month.

He got a new battery and is still using the phone.

I am posting this as to help with my frustration from my endless rounds of calls and emails today as I tried to get a solid answer on when the phone will be available.

As I spoke to the Kyocera rep today he informed me that the phone has some unresolved issues, I thought he swallowed the phone when I asked him if he ment the possibilty of exploding?

Hope this info helps and it would be nice if Kyocera would make an honest statement about the phone. Their website still fully advertises the phone and has no mention of any problems.

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    Shades of the old PowerBooks... This is why they have protection circuits on the batteries now.
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

Jeeze I think I would have demanded a new phone as well. I wouldn't have wanted to take a chance the battery didn't damage something on the phone.
    BTW I offer you a hearty "Welcome to the forum"
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thank you for the welcome

I tried reading as many of the other posts about the 7135. Has the exploding element been mentioned before?

Actually it has. try doing a search for "explod" ( I left the "e" off on purpose in the 7135 forum and select the option to "view as posts" The search here is wonderful tool to track down all kinds of useful and non-usefull information.
    mg

Sounds like.....

Why the battery is being recalled.....

Ref:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04068.html

TL

AP: Cell Phone Explosion Burns Man's Buttocks

By Associated Press

January 27, 2004, 8:54 AM EST

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- A Malaysian man was shaken and scalded Tuesday after his mobile phone exploded beside him while he was sleeping, the national news agency reported.

Mohamed Radzuan Yasin said he was recharging his cell phone and placed it on his bed near him before he took a nap. Three hours later, he was jarred awake by what he described as a small explosion.

"The explosion scalded my buttocks, while there were burn marks on the mattress and the wall," Mohamed Radzuan told Bernama news agency.

"At first I was confused about what had exploded, but I realized it was my mobile phone when I saw it was shattered in pieces," he said.

Mohamed Radzuan, a 40-year-old electrician in Kuala Pilah district, about 50 miles south of Kuala Lumpur, said he had purchased a new battery for the phone a week ago.

He received treatment for the injury at a hospital and subsequently filed a police report concerning the incident, Bernama reported.
    Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Trying to find out who makes the cell phone in the above story...

"At first I was confused about what had exploded..."

Classic!

I am sure it was a Treo 600....Robert any comments?
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

So sue me for double posting. It seems somehow appropriate here as well. I found this at ZDnet:
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-514...tml?tag=adnews
    mg

Thanks for the link. I had been using my battery without any problems, so I was reluctant to pursue a replacement. However, when I made a 40-minute call the other day, mine did get unusually warm (starting to get hot). I assumed it was from the length of the call (my previous ones rarely exceeded 10 minutes). Now, I am not sure. Thanks for the heads-up!

Question

This bugs me because my father in law has had his phone for over a year now and said that during long calls his phone is nearly to hot to handle. Why didn't kyocera issue a warning about this before now, my father-in-law reported his problems with the battery a year ago and I'm sure others have as well.

Not sure why, but I am happy with how Kyocera and Verizon are handling it (provided I get a replacement battery soon). I am glad it is the battery and not the unit -- I love my 7135!

Originally posted by jamspc
    This bugs me because my father in law has had his phone for over a year now and said that during long calls his phone is nearly to hot to handle. Why didn't kyocera issue a warning about this before now, my father-in-law reported his problems with the battery a year ago and I'm sure others have as well.
    Were the -05 batteries out a year ago?

I have -03 batteries... But I think that they can get very hot as well. So if the 03's are "good", I am just very glad that I don't have a "bad" battery.

I think that ALL the Batteries should be replaced with longer lasting batteries that will not get dangerously hot.

What happen to the idea of fuel celled batteries? This is 2004!!! What about the flying cars that we saw in the movies in the 90’s about the year 2005? I see advancements but I guess I just want more.

--My 2 cents on the battery issue.

Actually, its pretty rare for a device NOT to get hot when using wireless or WiFi. My XDA II PocketPC phone and Sprint regular flip-phone get hot too when using the wireless (though the PocketPC not as much). Also, my old Treo 300 did too. Also, most PCMCIA, CF and SD WiFi cards get hot too though some more than others.

I don't remember my 6035 getting so hot that it was hard to hold on to the phone. But I haven't used the 6035 in a long time so it might have gotten hot.
    I do know however that the 6035 had better battery life.

Originally posted by rfreschner
    Were the -05 batteries out a year ago?
    Yes, my father-in-law got his 7135 in dec/02 and his battery is -05.

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    "At first I was confused about what had exploded..."

Classic!

I am sure it was a Treo 600....Robert any comments?
    haha

p.s. I'm keeping a list of all who have made these types of remarks (you know who you are!)... and when VZW carries the Treo 600, the first thing you will have to ask yourselves before considering it is "will it be worth the abuse that I will receive from Robert?"
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Lucky for me that day will never come. I personally do not like the thumb keyboard

I do find when my calls are over 30 minutes, that the battery is warm/hot (somewhere between warm and hot). I actually find this happens more if I use the hfk. Never hot enough that I would worry. Mine is -03.

I did find my 6035 would also get warm, just not to the same extent as the 7135.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing