+ Reply to Thread
    sci

Dial up Networking

Am I stupid or something, please answer freely. I want to connect my 7135 to my work network through a RAS connection so I can telnet in to one of our database applications. The telnet part looks easy enough, I'm using Online, but connecting to RAS is causing problems for me, can someone break it down for me so I can see how simple it is and feel even dumber. Thanks.

By the way, any one find a app that will play native wav files?

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    You can't be too stupid ... I didn't even understand what ya wanna do ... LOL

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

sci
    Well, I feel alittle better now, typically my coworkers use a laptop to dial into my works network via a RAS connection (Remote Access Server) which of course lets them get there email, etc., etc.. One application that my company uses is accessed via Telnet ( which is pretty much a remote terminal connected via TCP/IP). Now there are several programs that allow you to have a telnet session, however my problem is in connecting to the RAS, I tried setting up new network prefrences that dial my companies 800 number pauses a couple seconds via the use of comma's in the dial string, and then asks for a specific extension which is off our auto attendant and the ext. goes to a RAS modem. So I end up a dial string with something like this 18001234567,,,,,,1234. Problem I'm having is whenever I hit 'connect' my phone dials and then I get the green light but it disconnects very quickly. I'm not sure if my dialing string uses the proper syntac on this phone to insert delays or if I'm just going about trying to dial into a Windows based network incorrectly.

Any IT guys or gals out there that can help me on this? Thanks

The "," is correct for pauses. When you do a RAS connection from your computer, do you just need your user name and password, or do you need your domain as well. If you need your domain, the 7135 will not be able to authenticate on the network, only a device with Windows Networking client will be able to authenticate.

Alan

Re: Dial up Networking

Originally posted by sci

By the way, any one find a app that will play native wav files?
    OK... I'll take this one (the easy one!). I doubt this is feasible at all on the 7135. The processor chokes on MP3s above 128Kbps (and certainly at 196Kbps). While there is not as much processing required to "decode" a WAV file, the throughput required is equivalent to over 1,400 kbps and I just don't see this phone being up to the task.
    Peter L.

sci
    thanks alanb and pylon10

The domain is probably whats getting my, I'll have to try the VPN approach and see if that works. Any one have luck with that one? I guess Mergic is the answer there.

Little disapointing regarding wav, although I thought as much, I sometimes get emailed forwarded voice mail messages and it would be nice to play the from the phone. Guess I'll just have to wait till next gen.. or get a PPC phone.... nah!