+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite Screen Protector, (again)

OK, I am lazy, or just too tired to do a search, so I am asking, what are your opinions on screen protectors? Since my replacement phone is here, and I don't want to put another incipio back on it (I could not get the old one off anyway LOL). I guess it was not that bad, unless I was in bright sunlight.

I would appreciate any input, biased or otherwise.

TIA. (thanks in advance)

ADDED: Please include links/URLs/Company Info
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-23-2004 at 10:37 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

My personal opinion is that, while they do protect the screen, they take away from the overall display quality. Even when tried to use one on an old B&W Palm IIIxe, I soon grew tired of the display and removed it. And, it was always a nuisance to remove.

I agree about the display...but...I have one of those multi use pens. Ask me how many times I have written on my screen with the pen! The last time it was with two huge blobs of ink. I was very glad I just had to replace the screen protector.

Rumor is the Strong Engineering ones are the best. The most clear and very sturdy. I tried them and was not talented enough to remove the "smear" that appeared (oil from my grubby little hands) and also did not like how thick they were. At that time I was using Jot and actually writing on the screen.

I now settle for a not-so-clear palm one. Stay away from Fellowes...very hazy.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Howdy,

I use the PDAProtectors brand ... I just love em ... they are crystal clear and don't seem to affect the writting or tapping on the screen ... they are a little bit touchy to install ... but .. I've been using them on ... lets see .. this is my 5th pda phone ... so I'm getting good at installing them ... cotton gloves help to keep finger smudges off before they are installed ... I've had the ones on my 7135 for almost a year now and there are no marks on them at all .. a little windex on a rag once in awhile to clean the smudges off and they look like new ...

I once ordered some for the I330 ... but before they got them I returned that and got the 7135 ... best move I ever made ... the I330 couldn't make it out of the house without crashing ... and I had 4 of them ... but alas ... I degress .. anyway ... I emailed PDA Protectors and asked if they could change the order ... I got a really nice email back saying the I330 ones had been shipped but not to worry he would send the 7135 ones out at no extra charge ... and that I should "play" with the I330 ones ... try to destroy them .... so I did ... I used steel wool ... no effect ... the only way I was able to mar them was with a sharp point .. ie a nail ... so like I said .. they are tough ... they are not as thick as the Strong Engineering ones .. or so I've been told .. so they don't affect the tapping and writting ... you get two sets ... two each for the screen and the graffitti area ... I've never used the second one yet and they only cost like $10 or so .. anyway .. that's my input.

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Do you write on the screen a lot? The ones I used (I think they were WriteRIGHT protectors) also seemed to affect the ability of the pda to detect the correct character. And, Graffiti 2 is touchy enough all by itself!

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Not really ... but even the one that protects the graffiti area doesn't bother me at all

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Originally posted by rfreschner
    Do you write on the screen a lot? The ones I used (I think they were WriteRIGHT protectors) also seemed to affect the ability of the pda to detect the correct character. And, Graffiti 2 is touchy enough all by itself!
    Bleh, Graffiti2 would be nice IF the option to tune it actually worked (it doesn't), then I could reset the OLD way as I saw fit :/
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Originally posted by FuzzyWuzHe
    Not really ... but even the one that protects the graffiti area doesn't bother me at all

Fuzzy
    Hmmm..... maybe I'll have to give it a try then. Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Copasetic
    Bleh, Graffiti2 would be nice IF the option to tune it actually worked (it doesn't), then I could reset the OLD way as I saw fit :/
    I second that! If I could only make the "k" work like it used to, I'd be happy.

Okay, so is there a weblink to PDA protectors? I have been looking for some good clear ones myself.

Thanks

Bill
    NEW TOY?! Gotta have it!!!

Fuzzy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the company he is referring to.

I am currently using the Strong Engineering ones, and while they are quite good, I think I am going to try the PDA Protectors kind when I need to get more.

Originally posted by rfreschner
    I second that! If I could only make the "k" work like it used to, I'd be happy.
    Dont forget the L . L . ( 'i' is now 'L' + '.' , hehe)

It's sad really, and the only option allowed, at least on my phone, is to leave it as is, at the new setting. I don't see any way to have the 4 characters any other style at all. There is no option to change them afaik. I CAN get used to the new ones in time, but it does take more time to execute (2 strokes instead of one). Sorta the same reasons ATOMIC is a better keyboard layout for a phone than QWERTY or even DVORAK. Those 2 are meant for real typing. Graffiti isn't real "writing" at all, it's character input, and should be efficient. G2 is a step backwards Actually, this is the main reason I picked PalmOS over MS's (however many iterations they have now) handheld OS. It was designed for handhelds to be simple from the start, it's not a PC OS crammed into a teeny box
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-23-2004 at 10:44 AM.

My vote is for Strong

I am currently using Strong's screen protectors. I have tried several other brands, and I like Strong's the best. They seem easier to apply than the others, and they are a pleasure to do business with.
    Sue

*It's not just a phone, it's an adventure.

This is great so far, thank you. I never took the Incipio off, since it was next to impossible when I tried. It never got much worse than it was to start with anyway (which is a little hazy), so I didn't really need to remove it. Aside from that, I was annoyed that they are not really the right size (too small) so the stylus "skips off"in corners and on one edge :/
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-23-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Originally posted by bhil
    Fuzzy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the company he is referring to.

I am currently using the Strong Engineering ones, and while they are quite good, I think I am going to try the PDA Protectors kind when I need to get more.
    Them's the ones ... I think the guy who owns the company is named John ... but don't quote me ... he's a great guy ... I recommend the cleaning kit he sells too .. to clean your screen before you put the protector on ... I guess dirt behind the protector can be a bad thing ... the "tricks" on the install instructions are great too ... especially the one about going into the bathroom .. turning on the hot water .. letting it get a little steamy ... then install the protector ... helps with the static electricity and ya know ... living in Colorado it's nice to get some moisture ... now if I could get my girlfriend to help me in there ... hehehehe .. LOL

Anyway ... I really like the product and the company is outstanding to deal with ... John answer's his email like 3 or 4 times a week so be a little paitent ... the product comes in the mail which is nice ... Good luck with them .. hope they work as well for you as the have for me ...

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy

I would also log in with a vehement vote for Strong Engineering. They are quite clear and I haven't had trouble even with Jot once they had been on for a week or two. I'm still using the same one I put on the phone right after I got it in January last year.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I too like my SE protectors! They even stay clear after I clean the pen marks off them... My best testomonial is they weathered a beating (and protected the screen) from my two year old that I found playing insanaquarium with a pen screw driver. gotta kill those SeaLions!
    (I'm referencing the Jot issues above)
    BrerLapn. So you use Jot. Do you have the firmware with Graffiti 2? I too have Jot with the Grafitti 1 on my phone and I have a setting in Jot that allows me to choose how I want to make some of the letters. I was wondering if you get that setting with Jot on a phone with Grafitti2. That would help some people that like some of the older strokes.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    I too like my SE protectors! ...
    (I'm referencing the Jot issues above)
    BrerLapn. So you use Jot. Do you have the firmware with Graffiti 2? I too have Jot with the Grafitti 1 on my phone and I have a setting in Jot that allows me to choose how I want to make some of the letters. I was wondering if you get that setting with Jot on a phone with Grafitti2. That would help some people that like some of the older strokes.
    mg
    I still have the graffiti 1 firmware. Phone's been stable so I haven't seen any need to mess with updating the firmware. However, I would assume that you would still get that setting because it's part of the Jot side of the program, not the graffiti side.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    I still have the graffiti 1 firmware. Phone's been stable so I haven't seen any need to mess with updating the firmware. However, I would assume that you would still get that setting because it's part of the Jot side of the program, not the graffiti side.
    I have graffiti 2. I installed Jot (extracted from the T3 upgrade) and I have those settings.

-Quick

Quick
    Does it allow you change some of your letter options? I was thinking this might be a away of getting some g1 strokes back into a phone with G2.
    mg
    sorry for the off-topic-ness of this tangent...
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.