+ Reply to Thread

7135 Headset Plug Wiring Diagram

Alright, here's the wiring diagram for the 4-conductor 2.5mm plug for the headset of a Kyocera 7135.

To get one of these plugs to build your own headset adapter, buy a headset designed for the nokia 8260, 8860, or 3360.

I bought a mono headset with mic + button from "On the Go"

The wiring of the plug of the On the Go headset was as follows:

Tip : GOLD WIRE : Mic Ground
    1st conductor from tip : WHITE WIRE : Mic Signal / Button
    2nd conductor from tip : RED WIRE : Audio
    3rd conductor from tip : GROUND (wrapped around the other 3) : Audio Ground

Enjoy!

edit: fix image

Am I reading your diagram right?

I'm new here, and I don't mean to be a trouble maker. But this diagram seems to conflict with Aka.Bugle's post (which in turn refers to Coolkat's wiring layout). My own testing suggests that the graphic is wrong also. I think the 3 and 4 connector (ground/right channel) are reversed in the above graphic. But maybe you are referring to another kyocera headset other than the stereo headset?

Aka.Bugle:
    "Kyo 2.5mm 4 conductor plug.... (thankyou CoolCat and HotSync)
    Contact 1 (tip)- microphone
    Contact 2 - left
    Contact 3 - ground
    Contact 4 (base) - right"

1/8 inch to stereo adapter
    Last edited by Alaska7135er; 08-08-2004 at 04:40 AM.

Well, I built my own headset using the information I discovered, and it worked fine... it makes sense for the Ground to be the one at the base, since this is the conductor that touches the outer ground ring of most audio plugs.

If a device is built in reverse, as you suggest, the following would happen:

1. The right audio would be inverted. There wouldn't be too much audible difference.

2. The left audio would not function at all.

3. The microphone or button would not function at all.

But I suggest you build it and discover for yourself.

-av

Thanks for the reply Avatar-x. And thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Is your post showing your own design, or is it showing what you learned from studying the kyocera stereo headset? I got the impression from the original post that it was the OEM kyocera headset you diagrammed.

What you are saying makes sense, but since aka.bugle's post reverses the right and ground, and if his post is indeed based on information from Coolkat as aka.bugle indicates, then alot of people here have bought his headsets that apparently work fine. Besides, this forum is most helpful to newbies like me when something as specific as the wiring diagram for kyocera's 4 pin connector is agreed upon by veteran posters.

I am building a modification (no one in Alaska carries the stereo headset), but I hoped to get this issue clarified first before I go to the mic/switch stage. I have the stereo part done (using aka.bugle's wiring information), the channels are just like they should be (including when tested using the balance control), and the mp3s play great into my Bose noise cancelling headset.

BUT, if a call comes in, I do have a problem. I can answer the call with the plug in, hear the caller, and can even hear myself talk in the headset (but both the caller and my voice sound very distant), but the caller can't hear me at all untill I unplug the headset adaptor. I haven't connected the tip to anything yet. I don't know if this is normal behavior for a stereo only setup with no mic/switch wired.

By the way, the Belkin adaptor with 4 connectors (F8V9003-CNCT-BB) is a good source for a pre-wired 2.5mm 4 connector plug (I haven't found anywhere to order solderable right angle plugs like this, so if anyone knows of a source please inform me). The belkin wiring goes to a small plastic module bringing all 4 connectors over a 3 inch cable to the module with each wire properly insulated but not in coax instead of that painted wire). Of course everything from the connection to that module on is not compatable (but the module and circuit board could come in handy).

Again, I don't mean to be troublesome, I have alot to learn from all of you here, and I appreciate this forum very very much.
    Last edited by Alaska7135er; 08-08-2004 at 11:17 PM.

I based my diagram by placing a plug into the phone, playing music, and attaching headsets to the various parts of the plug until they sounded properly. I own a Kyocera headset, but I didn't cut it apart to find out.

*shrugs* It's possible I made a mistake in my diagram, but 99% of all stereo and mono plugs for headsets place the ground the furthest from the tip.

Try your own design and figure out what works for you.

I edited my post probably while you replied, I do have a problem with my wiring effort. See my edited post above please. thanks.