+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nassau, Bahamas

Nassau, Bahamas

Does anyone know if my phone (including data access) will work in Nassau? I'm getting conflicting info from Verizon customer service.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Conflicting info from Verizon Customer Service???? Say it isn't so ...

Heeehe ... could be worse I guess .. could be sprint and have no info till ya get to at least a level 3 tech.

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

I was in Nassau during Thanksgiving and unable to get any signal...We stayed at the Ocean club and wandered around Atlantis and the main island...Sorry!

Angry

OK. let me give you the low down on this. I frequently travel to the Bahamas on business. I used my Moto before I purchased my 7135. Here is the scoop.

It is more the Bahamian phone company (Batelco) than anything else. My phone works both in Nassau and Freeport. However, service is sporatic at best. By way of example - it would work at the airport in Nassau but not at the Hilton, Atlantis etc. Next morning works fine everywhere. Afternoon works nowhere. Also, while I can make calls out (if I am lucky) I can not receive incoming calls as easy. The calls from the US to the cell phone go straight to voicemail or if the system recognized my phone, it will prompt the caller for a credit card to complete the call. This is usually how my buddies can tell that I am back in the Bahamas.

As of a month ago no express network or other web/internet type of service for cell phones. However, it was talked about by Batelco.

I ended up purchasing a pay as you go phone. I think they call them "quick cells" in the Bahamas. Expensive by the minute but in an emergency paid for itself. Phone was $75.00. You can buy cards that give you minutes for $10.00 and up. It was a standard non-flip no frills phone. If you go this route be careful. They were talking about limiting the incoming calls to only other Bahamian telephones. That means a call from the US will not reach you. However, you should have no problem calling the US. I asked the phone rep where I purchased my quick cell why I could only get out sometimes with my 7135 and she put it like this - all of the native Bahamians have quick cells and they have priority on the network other carriers come next. Try in the early morning or late night. The quick cells were more popular than they thought and they are trying to add capacity to their cell network to handle the demand.

I downloaded my email at the hotel business center. When I bring my laptop, most hotels have a dedicated internet dialup that is cheaper than making a phone call from the room. They also have several internet cafes in Nassau that charge by the minute.

Hope this was helpful. I would be interested to know if you have any luck with the 7135.

Fellow kyo owners, I'm back (to the frozen apple) from my trip to Nassau. It saddens me to report that my kyo did not work at all while I was in Nassau. As Speeddd mentioned, I found that early mornings or late at night the phone would ocassionally pick up a signal but as soon as you try to dial out, the signal would break off. For the entire 4 days and three nights I was in Nassau, I could not make or receive any calls with the 7135.

Well at least I was able to take a few low res photos around the island with the veo attachment. So for those of you planning a trip down to Nassau save yourself the extra weight and leave your kyo at home---unless of course you need the palm apps. I didn't want to rent a temp phone so I just bought calling cards. So while I'm bummed about all the snow we are getting in NY, I'm glad to have a fully functioning 7135 again, whouppeee.
    Understanding is the comprehension of knowledge; wisdom is the application of knowledge.

Red face

Glad you made it back. I am at an internet cafe in Freeport. Landed in Nassau and then flew to Freeport. Phone did not work at all in Nassau. Phone works for outbound calls but still cannot receive calls without Batelco prompting the caller for a credit card. Oh well I guess I will just enjoy 6 more days of this horribly warm weather before returning east.

Cool Nassau, Bahamas

I can't think of anything I'd worry about LESS if I were in the Bahamas right now!

It's all relative, I suppose.

Max

that's cold Speeddd...