+ Reply to Thread

7135 No longer Quarantined

Latest update from Verizon technician I spoke with yesterday:

"The 7135 should be heading back to the shelves soon. The company is waiting for the rest of the supply of replacement batteries and will begin stocking the shelves with them again in the next few days and weeks."

I also went out on a limb and asked about the following, since I am not a fan of rumours. I got some good answers.

Rumor (not true): The 7135 has been discontinued and will be replaced with another model.
    Truth: It NEVER "discontinued." The 7135 was pulled from the shelves until the recall problem was solved, [which was the corect thing to do in the case of a recall]. Also true: No definite decision was EVER made to discontinue or re-release the phone until the outcome of the battery situation was assessed.

Rumour (partly true): 7135's are being replaced with other models in the stores.
    Truth: Agent (not true Verizon) stores did this as they saw fit, and perhaps a few company store people as well, but it was never a Verizon mandate, or even a suggestion. It was always on a case by case basis. However, Verizon proper now ONLY handles such through its new Wireless support Division, and is sending out replacement 7135's in 48 hours or less. If you got a swap at a store, it was not through the proper channels. Note that agent stores do not have necessarilythe same access to this, unless they so choose. Online third party dealers as well would have to use other means to settle the situation with customers. This is not necessarily bad, but it COULD life for those who bought their phones at a place other than VZW a little more complicated. Just check with your dealer for details. I know a few folks who called the number that got excellent support, but when they wanted a replacement they were directed to where they bought the phone, and they THOUGHT it was a real Verizon store :/

Rumour (not true): They ran out of replacement phones.
    Truth: As for the supply, Verizon has had a constant supply of new and refurbished phones available. In fact, pulling the inventory from the shelves guaranteed that even more phones are available to serve as replacements. This was a wise decision on their part, that way no new problems went out the door, and they never would be short on replacements.

FYI: I am no pundit, but all this rumouring only adds to the frustration for the rest of us. Please folks, posting whatever and whenever just creates stress, try to use some discretion when writing anything about a situation regarding recalls or the future of a product. I have seen more so called "Facts" on these threads, and a third of them almost contradict the other third, with the last third just opinions, written to LOOK like facts. We all love to be the one with the precious information, but if it is not checked for accuracy, it can lead to a snowball of panic. Then again, maybe that is what these forums and threads are all about, and I am trying too hard. Either way, I am as guilty as anyone else, so I cast the first stone at myself.

*OW* (it was a bit large)
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-24-2004 at 08:08 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

What you got from your Verizon Tech is different in some ways from our Verizon Corporate Sales Rep...

I loved my 7135 but crashing, lockups,etc. got out of hand.

Verizon folks were very cool about my problematic 7135's...yep, I had three of them...but it's sooo frustrating when you get so many different answers.

I trust our corp. rep....but who really knows.

I don't want to keep working with a phone that won't work with me, but if I know Verizon is going to take care of me, then I wouldn't worry...

Copasetic,

You're funny! Wonderful Internet connected to facts and knowledge of the world. Whoops, someone forgot it also connects with all the stupidity of the world, too. A real test of the educated is to sort it out. Only one thing is guaranteed: No one Knows it All!

Originally posted by LonghairSteve
    Copasetic,

You're funny! Wonderful Internet connected to facts and knowledge of the world. Whoops, someone forgot it also connects with all the stupidity of the world, too. A real test of the educated is to sort it out. Only one thing is guaranteed: No one Knows it All!
    I bet I know less than you do ...either way, straight from the horse's mouth, I will have more as I receive it.

The Kyocera 7135i Battery Issue M&P has been revised.
    On January 26, 2004, letters will be sent to the following customers:
    * Customers identified as having purchased Kyocera 7135 handsets
    with the CV-K2002-05 battery (Letter 1)
    * Customers who may have purchased a CV-K2002-05 as an accessory
    (Letter 2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What phone battery does this affect?

The recalled batteries are included in Kyocera model 7135 Smartphone cell phones. The recalled batteries have a product code ending in -05 printed on the underside.

How many Verizon Wireless customers are impacted by this recall?

There are approximately 17,000 active 7135 lines that have the --05 battery.

Are all customers who have the Kyocera 7135 phone affected?

No, , the recall only impacts those customers whose Kyocera phone batteries have a product code that ends in –05.

Can customers come to Verizon Wireless to get a new battery?

No, new or replacement batteries can only be obtained from Kyocera. Kyocera can be reached toll-free at
    1-800-349- 4478. Information is also posted on the company's Web site at www.kyocera-wireless.com.

Kyocera is contacting customers to arrange for the delivery of a free replacement battery.

What if I don’t hear from Kyocera?

If consumers have not been contacted by the company by Feb. 6, they should call Kyocera to get a replacement.

Kyocera can be reached toll-free at 1-800-349-4478 PST, Monday through Friday. Information is also posted on the
    company's Web site at www.kyocera-wireless.com.

Why are the batteries being recalled?

Kyocera Wireless Corp. recalled approximately 140,000 batteries in its Smartphone cell phones on Friday because the batteries can short-circuit or erupt with force and heat, posing a burn hazard to users.

How many complaints have been received?

Kyocera has received four reports of battery failures involving the --05 battery.

What should customers do?

Consumers are advised to stop using the cell phone batteries immediately. Remove the battery from the phone and do not charge the battery Kyocera will contact customers to arrange for the delivery of a free replacement battery. If consumers have not been contacted by Feb. 6, they should call Kyocera to get a replacement.

Kyocera can be reached toll-free at 1-800-349-4478. PST, Monday through Friday. Information is also posted on’
    The company's Web site at www.kyocera-wireless.com.

Who made the batteries?

The batteries were manufactured for Kyocera by Coslight International Group

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 4 [confirmed] reports of dud batteries as of this writing. See what I mean about nasty rumours? Then again, people have gone to war over rumours, others have died to protect the rumours they hold so dear, true or not....sigh
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-25-2004 at 09:05 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever, except true love. If it does not last, it wasn't true....

Originally posted by Copasetic
    I bet I know less than you do ...either way, straight from the horse's mouth, I will have more as I receive it.

The Kyocera 7135i Battery Issue M&P has been revised.
    On January 26, 2004, letters will be sent to the following customers:
    * Customers identified as having purchased Kyocera 7135 handsets
    with the CV-K2002-05 battery (Letter 1)
    * Customers who may have purchased a CV-K2002-05 as an accessory
    (Letter 2)

URL: http://k2.vzwcorp.com/cgi-bin/pcgi/m...c?doc_id=53572[/i]
    Copasetic, the link doesn't work.

Dave

Originally posted by dwdod
    Nope.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

Originally posted by dwdod
    Well there's your proof about how little I know, heh, so I cut and pasted the letter instead (and forgot to remove the link). Apologies. I took care of the error.
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-25-2004 at 09:06 AM.

Question

What in gods name is going on with this company. I mean seriously. I've been waiting patintly for over a month and still no progress??

So here is my scoop. I called Verizon Customer Service and they tell me that its simply not available to buy. So I ask if they can ship it from a different part of the counrty but the Rep. tells me its simply not available. . .

So I ask whens it going to be out and he replies with the simple, "I dont know" let me ask my floor managers, then i waited, got the same reply and then insited on going to higher up tech and they told me the same beefy "It wont be available till Kyocera notifies us"

I then call Kyocera after an hour on hold and find out that the battery issue is being resolved but still will take time. I ask when the 7135 will be available, the kind lady told me that you should be seeing the issue resolved by Feb. 6th! Finally, after 1 month of waiting, multiple phone calls, and 2 hours on the phone today I get a date. I ask if this is an official relase date but she says its not official and shouldnt even be telling me but it should be somewhere around the 6th where we will see it on the shelves.....

Now, can anyone else confirm this?

I mean my ear hurts from being on the phone with these people for so long but I just want to know If can get it eventually and that it wont be discontinued or anything like that...

So did anybody else get any confirms on this date? and NO I dont want E-BAY material or any toher kind of theose phones not from Verizon....

Originally posted by pdapowered
    I ask if this is an official relase date but she says its not official and shouldnt even be telling me ...

Now, can anyone else confirm this?
    Sure! I can, with some certainty, confirm that the response that you got was not official. But this is not an official statement to that effect and you didn't hear it from me.

To the best of my knowledge there is no official Kyocera or VZW presence on this forum (although statements from HotSynC you can pretty much take as gospel). Will a totally unofficial confirmation make you feel better?

-Quick

Originally posted by Quick
    Sure! I can, with some certainty, confirm that the response that you got was not official. But this is not an official statement to that effect and you didn't hear it from me.

To the best of my knowledge there is no official Kyocera or VZW presence on this forum (although statements from HotSynC you can pretty much take as gospel). Will a totally unofficial confirmation make you feel better?

-Quick
    ROFL!
    /me gives Quick 1e+1,000,000 points for "Quick" thinking.

My letter came in an email I recieved from VZW Corporate, but then again it was only 1 person who wrote it, and 1 person does not a company make. It's all words, anyway. And we have the choice to believe what we want, and be open or not to what others have to say.

What I know is this: I called the wireless support division, I got a new phone in 2 days, no substitution was allowed or offered at that time. I got my replacement, and a new battery, I am happy.

You can let the doom and gloomsayers in this forum get to you, or you can let the messages that hope is on the way get to you, or you can arrive somewhere in between, and wait and see. Or you can ignore all this (even this posting) if your phone is working, and come back after the Super Bowl. Heh.

Super hugs to everyone, even the ones who want to make our phone go away!
    Last edited by Copasetic; 01-26-2004 at 07:16 PM.