+ Reply to Thread

True USB Cable Gone Bad?

After using the 7135 and the true USB cable with my laptop as a modem for about a year, I was just on a trip and started getting a message on my laptop that it could not recognize the USB device. When I go home and a tried it on my desktop with the USB Cable, I got a message that the modem was not working. However, when I connect it through the cradle, it works fine as a modem on both the desktop and notebook. I assume something has gone bad with my USB cable. Is this a fair assumption or is there something about the cradle that is different in connecting the 7135 as a modem? Since I head out to San Diego on Thursday (so long D.C. snow and ice) and need my 7135 modem, I think my best option is to order a new USB cable from Kyocera and pray for an overnight delivery on Wednesday. Does anyone know of a store in the D.C./MD area that sells a true USB cable? (I guess as a last resort, I can drag my cradle with me on the trip.)

Larry

Sounds like the cable might have a broken wire in it. Frequent folding and packing could have damaged it.

Hopefully Fed Ex can get you that new one!
    NEW TOY?! Gotta have it!!!

It's a long shot, but if you have more then one USB slot, sometimes if you change to a different slot it will recognize it.

Cindy
    Love my 7135!

Hi Larry,

Same thing happened to me about 6-7 months ago: one day, the cable was working, next day it wasn't, even though my cradle has never failed me. So, I've been lugging around the cradle ever since when I travel every week! I intend to buy a new cable just as soon as I have time.

I ordered a new cable last night from Kyocera and hope it gets here by tomorrow. Otherwise, I too will be lugging around the cradle.

I've had my cable for two weeks and it already has gone bad. I've tracked it down to a bad charger I had hooked up to the cable. Make sure your using the true Kyocera charger or be ready to buy another cable.

Wierd thing is I didn't think it was your cable till my T3 USB cable died today :o

I thought it was new software I installed yesterday for a USB - Serial adapter, but grabbed my spare cable from the car and it was the cable.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by Barron
    I've had my cable for two weeks and it already has gone bad. I've tracked it down to a bad charger I had hooked up to the cable. Make sure your using the true Kyocera charger or be ready to buy another cable.
    I am using the Kyocera true USB cable and Kyocera charger. Since the cable travels with me, it does get coiled and twisted, but nothing it shouldn't be able to withstand. I had it for a year and should get the new one today. If this one lasts another year, it should take me until I get a another phone. (Two years with one toy is about enough.)