+ Reply to Thread

Keep losing contacts

My 7135 started losing contacts. I seem to lose one or 2 a week. I never notice losing complete records until after I installed back-up-buddy. I don't know for sure if BUB is causing the problem.
    Has anyone else lose a feew contacts? Is there something that I'm doing wrong? The contacts are still on my computer. Whats the best way to get them back on my phone. I enstalled new data on both, so I can't haaave one over ride the other.
    Thanks
    Glenn

I use BackupBuddy and haven't noticed anything like what you describe, although I'll certainly keep a closer eye on it.

What is your synchronization setting for Contacts? Are you synching to the Palm Desktop or another app like Outlook?

Losing contacts

I'm syncing to Outlook and as I said, I don't know if Back-up-buddy is causing the problem. I just noticed it happening last week. I installed BUB a month ago and have been using the phone over a year.
    The last contact it happen to, I was adding info to the notes. The next day, I went back to find the contacts phone # and everything was missing.
    I'm using auto backup to the SD card.
    Havn't checked to see if data is on the card. Need to find instructions to find out out how to read the card.
    Thanks
    Glenn

Re: Keep losing contacts

Originally posted by 57guy
    The contacts are still on my computer. Whats the best way to get them back on my phone. I enstalled new data on both, so I can't haaave one over ride the other.
    Thanks
    Glenn
    I synch up to both Outlook at work and Outlook at home and have been doing so for a couple of years without any of this that I can tell. However, I have only been doing it using the Kyocera as my pda for the last couple of months, so there could be issues that I just haven't hit yet. I also want the exact same copy of contact information on all 3 devices so I don't have the same requirements that you have.

I'm assuming that if you want/need to have different information on your PC than on your phone, you have your synch setting for Contacts set to "Do Nothing", correct? Or, do you just not want to synchronize in this instance because you will lose data in one or the other record on contacts that you've updated separately on both devices? If the latter, then I would synchronize the desktop and phone after making sure that my conflict resolution setting was set to "Duplicate records, consolidate the information in one of the duplicate records, delete the other, and resynch.

If that's not what you're looking for, you might try the Chapura website to see if there are any reported incidences of this happening (I'm assuming that PocketMirror is the conduit software that was distributed with the 7135 a year ago). I can look at my settings if you want to confirm anything, but I use PocketMirror Pro so there might be some differences. They would be minor though.

Previous answer
    I'm assuming that if you want/need to have different information on your PC than on your phone, you have your synch setting for Contacts set to "Do Nothing", correct? Or, do you just not want to synchronize in this instance because you will lose data in one or the other record on contacts that you've updated separately on both devices? If the latter, then I would synchronize the desktop and phone after making sure that my conflict resolution setting was set to "Duplicate records, consolidate the information in one of the duplicate records, delete the other, and resynch.

No, Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    I want both, the PC and the phone to be the same. I edit or update the records of both PC and Phone. If I'm entering business cards, etc I do it on the PC. If I'm on the road and want to update a phone # , I do it on the phone. I then I sync when I get home. What I'm trying to figure out now is, If a contact somehow got deleted on the phone, if I sync, will the contact also get deleted on the PC
    Glenn

No, Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    I want both, the PC and the phone to be the same. I edit or update the records of both PC and Phone. If I'm entering business cards, etc I do it on the PC. If I'm on the road and want to update a phone # , I do it on the phone. I then I sync when I get home. What I'm trying to figure out now is, If a contact somehow got deleted on the phone, if I sync, will the contact also get deleted on the PC
    Glenn
    If a contact is deleted from the phone and your settings are to synchronize the devices, the contact should get deleted from the PC on your next hotsync. If you change a contact on your phone and delete or change it on the PC prior to a hotsync, the action depends on your conflict resolution settings.

Looking at your original post again, it sounds like contacts are missing from the phone and still on the PC. So, what are your HotSync and Conflict Resolution settings for Contacts for each of the devices?

Yes, you are right, the contacts are still on the PC. But, as you said , if I hotsync, I will loose the contact on the PC. If I change the setting to have the PC override the phone, I will not get the changes that I added to the phone.
    Is there an option that says , don't delete until I approve it?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Glenn

Yes, you are right, the contacts are still on the PC. But, as you said , if I hotsync, I will loose the contact on the PC. If I change the setting to have the PC override the phone, I will not get the changes that I added to the phone.
    Is there an option that says , don't delete until I approve it?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Glenn
    Not that I know of, sorry.

Again, I have to guess a bit because I have PocketMirror Pro, so I'm not sure what the settings are with the PocketMirror that came with the 7135, although I don't believe you would have anything that added functionality that doesn't exist in the Pro version. You never know though, stranger things have happened.

Short of backing up your Contacts folder on your PC occasionally, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe someone else may have some insight. Of course, you can also look for some other synch software besides PocketMirror that may offer more options. But, I think what you really need to do is figure out what's causing them to disappear in the first place.