+ Reply to Thread

Angry When your computer, not 7135, crashes..

Ok, my computer crashed and I was forced to reformat my hard disk, etc. Needless to say I will have to reinstall the 7135 desktop applications. The big question is, will the programs remaining on my phone be backed up onto the computer and recognized, or should I just do a hard reset and reinstall everything?
    Thanks
    Matt Mueller

Programs will not reinstall on the PC (like docs to go etc), but your data can be moved from the palm back to the PC.

Since you are stuck dealing wiht the PC reinstall, I would take this time to do a hard reset on the phone anyway.

Good luck.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

As long as you set up the desktop application with the same user you should be able to synch with the setting that the handheld overwrites the desktop to get everything back in synch.
    Rick

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride!"

Yeah but programs with thier own conduits will need to be reinstalled on the PC first. Personally I agree with harleyxlc, I would use this as an oppurtunity to reinstall your phone apps to and clean out the junk.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

In My Humble Opinion

Make sure the PIM information (adresses, schedule, etc.) are backed up first.

You can do that by:

1) hotsynch to the new Palm Desktop,
    2) Edit the backup folder and remove all the files there. Do not remove the folder, just the files in teh folder.
    3) Hard reset the phone
    4) hotsynch again.

Only the PIIM data will be on the phone with no applications
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Yeah but programs with thier own conduits will need to be reinstalled on the PC first. Personally I agree with harleyxlc, I would use this as an oppurtunity to reinstall your phone apps to and clean out the junk.
    mg
    I absolutely agree with all about needing to reinstall the desktop apps, conduits, etc. and I thought that MuellerMR had already determined that he would have to do that. My suggestion was in response to his question about the programs remaining on the phone that aren't on the desktop getting backed up to the desktop. But, I probably misinterpreted his statement about having to reinstall 7135 desktop applications.

In any case, I would still resynch to the desktop before a hard reset to make sure that the data on the phone (contacts, calendar, etc.) gets backed up to the desktop so it's not all lost since the hard drive was formatted.