+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is there a way to replace Graffiti 2 with Graffiti 1?

After using Graffiti 1 on my 6035, I find Graffiti 2 on the 7135 slower, less intuitive and much less accurate. I spoke with Kyocera techs this morning and they said someone perhaps here would know how to replace it.

By the way, the tech said the reason Graffiti 2 replaced Graffiti 1 was that Palm was sued by Xerox and lost the rights and it had to be changed.

Thanks!

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The reason for the replacement is correct - because of some lawsuit. Anyway, many people have tried and failed to replace G2 with G1 on the 7135. I have not heard of any success stories. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a copy of Jot or TealScript. Both of those can be trained to accept G1 characters. Personally, I use TealScript, and it works great!
    Michael

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I'll check this out.

I just purchased a copy of Jot and it does the trick for me. Seems to be faster than G2 (surprising since G2 is Jot lite) and has more options for customizing, although not as many as I would have thought. Can't get the "k" back to the Graffiti way, but that is my only complaint.

Jot has a 5 day trial for download (geez could they spare it) and you can enable and disable it, although it takes a soft reset each time you do.

Alone, it's a bit pricey - $39, but they're running a bundle called Jot Complete that also comes with Word Complete. Together the two cost $29. Go figure....

Never tried Tealscript and I would have but I just went on a software binge w/o really thinking all the possibilities through - couldn't go another day with the G2 "k"!!

I downloaded Tealscript from their site and installed it. It's a 30 day test and if you want to buy it's $19.95. It seems able to be fully customized. From it's default settings it works just like G1.

Tealscript's intro page says that the program does not go inactive after 30 days and is full functional from day one. They ask that if you like it please pay. So far so good.

I also couldn't stand G2 for one more day. Oh, and the "k" is a single stroke.

Back to the good ol' days...Funny how the small things in life create such distress.

Thanks for the feedback.

Darn, I knew I should have done more investigation!!

I'm planning to get Fitaly. I can't stand G2 - I didn't realize how well I'd gotten adjusted to G1. My worst problem has been that it thinks all my e's are q's for some reason. Plus the capitalization, ugh.

My advice: Get Fitaly.
    >thg.
    I want an MPx with PalmOS supporting EV-DO on Verizon!! Is anybody listening?? :splat: 8)

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by theharmonyguy
    My worst problem has been that it thinks all my e's are q's for some reason. Plus the capitalization, ugh.
    It took me a little while, but if you write your e's exactly like "e" instead of how they tell you, it will come out an "e" every time. If not, you get q's. And, I've gotten quite used to the capitalization being in the middle of the two areas unless I'm trying to write in the dark.

My advice: Get Fitaly.
    I would try it, but I'd rather write than peck. Just can't get used to that.

I've been using Jot, and it does simplify a few 2 stroke letters back to one stroke.

The "i" is a down and up stroke without lifting the sylus, instead of dotting the i

The "t" is down, up to the left, the right across, like an "and" sign

The "k" is like a fish - a single looping stroke that I can't describe adequately

However, I still struggle with punctuation - I simply can't remmember quotes and pound signs and dolalr signs, and even when I try to do them the way i should I mess them up

I want G1 back, and I think palm shoulda paid licensing fees and passed them onto the consumer - I woulda paid
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by larryganz
    The "k" is like a fish - a single looping stroke that I can't describe adequately

However, I still struggle with punctuation - I simply can't remmember quotes and pound signs and dolalr signs, and even when I try to do them the way i should I mess them up

I want G1 back, and I think palm shoulda paid licensing fees and passed them onto the consumer - I woulda paid
    I left most of my letters the way they were in G2, as I actually like some of them better than G1. But, if you really want to go back to G1, earlier in this thread G.McIntosh said that Tealscript will do that for you.

The k in Jot is sort of like writing a capital R, but starting the initial downward stroke on the left side higher than the rest of the letter. I've been using Jot for a day and I'm already used to it. You can set the $ to draw it on the numeric side of the pad just like an S with a downward slash through it.

I'm not sure if Palm was given the option of licensing it. Xerox wanted it back and I think they made some kind of deal with MS to use it for the PPC.

Originally posted by G.McIntosh
    Tealscript's intro page says that the program does not go inactive after 30 days and is full functional from day one. They ask that if you like it please pay. So far so good.
    FYI Jot appears to do the same thing.
    mg

back
    Get over it!!
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

Originally posted by ekaxel
    Get over it!!
    Over what?

back
    I used Graffiti on my m515 without trouble. When my 7135 was upgraded I use G2 without trouble. I just can't comprehend what all this fuss, pissing and moaning is all about!

ekaxel - relax dude...you sound like Howard Dean.....you must not use Graffiti 2 much or you would know when you write a word that ends in "L", and then write a space, it converts the "L" into a "T". This right here makes Grafitti 2 a piece of junk....

Originally posted by larryganz
    I've been using Jot, and it does simplify a few 2 stroke letters back to one stroke.

The "i" is a down and up stroke without lifting the sylus, instead of dotting the i

The "t" is down, up to the left, the right across, like an "and" sign

I have Jot setup so that the "i" is a single down stroke and "t" is a single stroke right then down.

I have problems with the "k". I have always used the "fish" stroke but Jot seems to have real problems recognizing mine... "&", backspace, "b", backspace, "d", backspace, "k", YES!

-Quick

Originally posted by ekaxel
    I used Graffiti on my m515 without trouble. When my 7135 was upgraded I use G2 without trouble. I just can't comprehend what all this fuss, pissing and moaning is all about!
    I don't consider this fuss, pissing, or moaning. People are relaying their issues, asking for advice, and generally looking for ways to resolve their issues, which if I'm not mistaken, is the purpose behind these forums. I too have not had a whole lot of issues with G2, but the one or two that I have had have been resolved or lessened by the products recommended by other members. And, if I can help someone else with similar issues to resolve them, I will be more than happy to.

That being said, I don't recall any requirement on this forum that you have to read every post. So, you might consider skipping the ones that you have no interest in.

Originally posted by trich419
    when you write a word that ends in "L", and then write a space, it converts the "L" into a "T".
    Don't know if it works in G2 or not (and I don't feel like doing a couple of resets at the moment to test it ) , but this is how to avoid that in Jot, so you might try it in G2. Just make sure to write the L to the left side of the area and then write the space to the right of the L making sure they don't get too close. Works like a charm in Jot and G2 is just Jot with a couple of features missing.

rfreschner - your tip on writing the "L" in the left side and the space on the right hand side of the area does the trick! Thanks a bunch for that tip!

This is why we have forums (ahem...ekaxel)...posting a gripe or problem and having someone else provide a solution! Thanks!

back
    You mean it is not a piece of junk any more???