+ Reply to Thread

Memo Pad Sync Error Message

Hi everyone,

I've done a search for a similar thread, but I've had no success. If anyone knows of one, please re-direct me.

Anyway, until last week, I encountered no problems when HotSyncing. However, last week, a standard HotSync (and every single HotSync I've done since then) generated the following message in the log:

"-- Memo Pad
    - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
    Desktop = 133, Handheld = 132"

I didn't think there WAS a maximum, especially since I still have almost 40% of my phone's hard drive available, but I deleted dozens of records anyway, and I'm STILL getting this message every time.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much!

you have a limited allocation for the memo records your palm will hold, similar to the amount of preset phone numbers the phone will hold. this has no bearing on the amount of "hard drive" space your system has, it is a function of the memo pad application

when you deleted records, were they memos?

if they were, your desktop could be corrupted, or one of the memos still on the palm is corrupted. are any of your memos voice recordings and if so, are any of a substantial size?

***and before any of you tell me the phone documentation says the limit on memos is available memory, the same documentation says a voice memo cannot exceed 2 minutes and i have a message that exceeds 2 minutes saved on my phone***
    Last edited by tabutler; 01-27-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Hi Tabutler,

Problem solved! Thanks! Your input certainly led me in the right direction. To answer your questions...

when you deleted records, were they memos?

Yes, the ones I deleted were all memos.

are any of your memos voice recordings

Nope.

one of the memos still on the palm is corrupted

This must have been exaclty the case. After seeing your suggestion, I noticed that my desktop had 133 memos, while my palm had only 132 (as indicated by the log error message, in fact). I have NO IDEA how this could have possibly happened in the first place, but alas, it did. So, I had to carefully figure out the EXACT memo that was in my desktop and NOT in my palm, then delete that memo, and HotSync again. Well, it took me a while to locate it, but I finally did, deleted it, HotSynced, and all is fine again.

Seems to me, though, that the error message should have instead been something like "more messages on your desktop than in your palm unit" instead of the INCREDIBLY MISLEADING "Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop" - not the case AT ALL! Thank goodness for your push in the right direction.

Thanks again, Tabutler.

Originally posted by Steve Flow
    Seems to me, though, that the error message should have instead been something like "more messages on your desktop than in your palm unit" instead of the INCREDIBLY MISLEADING "Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop" - not the case AT ALL! Thank goodness for your push in the right direction.
    Steve
    I too enjoy error messages that imply the opposite of the actual situation. Its easy to envision a file corruption that would confuse the Hotsync into thinking you don't have enough hard drive space. I see those often with emails and documents that lose the end of file marker for example. And so what ever program thinks the file is infinitely big! You could have gotten a Microsoft-ian error messge that are undicerpherable even to the people at Microsoft, or a big blue screen that sez only: "You're hosed"

mg

I actually think that error was pretty helpful for a change. Maybe I have lower standards than you
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

MGuzzy & harleyxlc: Now that I think about it, you guys are right... Better to have an error message, however misleading it might be, than to have to get a FOURTH 7135.