+ Reply to Thread

Skype - VOIP on the 7135? Silly Dreams?

Being technologically challenged, there are undoubtedly numerous reasons for this not to work on a wireless instrument like our beloved 7135's. However, it would be rather marvellous if Skype were to develop a VOIP application that would work on a pdaphone.

Could someone with knowledge indicate whether or not this type of VOIP application could be adapted to a pdaphone such as the 7135?

www.skype.com "Just like Kazaa but for phone use."

Re: Skype - VOIP on the 7135? Silly Dreams?

Originally posted by chilcotin
    Being technologically challenged, there are undoubtedly numerous reasons for this not to work on a wireless instrument like our beloved 7135's. However, it would be rather marvellous if Skype were to develop a VOIP application that would work on a pdaphone.
    Could someone with knowledge indicate whether or not this type of VOIP application could be adapted to a pdaphone such as the 7135?
    Probably not? The DSP would have to support the codecs used, RTP/RTCP, etc.

The program itself may not be what you think. It seems to require peer-to-peer which means that you have to speak with somebody on the other end using the same software. My guess is that you can pay money for PSTN access in areas where they have a presence. You go over the internet to their box which is a gateway to the local phone system there.

Since they are using the internet I'm a bit dubious of their claims of it being "better than a phone". I don't think you can get packet voice that is better quality than over a wire? Then there is the widely varying conditions on the internet... crowded, not crowded. You can't guarantee quality of service (bandwidth, delay, and jitter over the internet). This is necessary for high quality VoIP.

But heh, its free. I can only see this as useful for people who make international calls. Most everybody has long distance included in their cellular plan and you would have to at least pay cellular minutes to use the VoIP program on your phone anyway.

-Quick