+ Reply to Thread

DIY Bluetooth for 7135?

Calling all Bluetooth hobbyists:

As has been the topic of discussion for quite some time, it would be very neat to expand the 7135's Bluetooth support to the headset / audio profile. We've concluded that the Bluetooth SDIO card would NOT work, since the SD slot only interfaces with the Palm end. It would seem to me then that the only possibility is to build a hardware emulator of some sort, that would connect to the DATA port of the 7135, sending and receiving voice and other key data. Does anyone here know if there are bluetooth "kits" out there (that aren't exorbitantly costly)? Is there any possibility of building such a thing, or is it just another pipedream?

TGP
    PhD., Technobabble

I think serveral have mentioned in some cases " you will have to find the threads ", Bluetooth did work in certain cases but you are
    correct not in all cases.

I also tried the WIFI SD card and it basically stalls the phone until
    removed from slot. " Actually think the processor/software isn't
    powerful enough or compatiable with the 7135.

So in short, the HEADPHONE adapter Bluetooth are an option - and some Bluetooth SD sets work, but no sure platform to date.

Hopefully, one day someone will bring out a PALM 4.0 33mhz
    compatiable 802.11a,b or g with SD mem included that we can enjoy

Not sure whether both Bluetooth with WI-FI would cause disruption unless WI-FI a, so I would chose WI-FI for HOT SPOT connects. Well that's my 2 cents

What I had in mind was this

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl

Would the SD Bluetooth kit work with this? I notice Acura only lists a handful of models that are compatible which makes me skeptical.

TGP
    Last edited by tgpaul; 01-31-2004 at 07:01 PM.
    PhD., Technobabble

Thumbs up

Very Cool!!!

However, It's probably a try and see deal.
    Course, you can always take the Bluetooth SD back if it
    doesn't work.

Surely one way to pay attention to the road while driving

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Well, here's the tough part.. it *is* possible, but only a Kyo Wireless programmer could do it. A contact of mine at Kyocera said that they were/are in the process of developing a bluetooth stack for that SDIO bluetooth card that would support voice. However, in order for that to work, the phone would need to actively send voice data back and forth between the SDIO card and the phone-side of the software (there are actually two microprocessors in the 7135, one 'phone-side', which handles the phone functionality, vibrate, light, voice recording, etc., and the 'palm-side', which is the standard Palm OS as well as some routines which access things on the phone side).

Also, the SD and SDIO card drivers on the 7135 are some of the slowest.. even with the phone off, my old Palm m515 (running at the same speed w/ the same memory card) is almost twice as fast as it is on my 7135 -- that would most definiately need to be fixed if we can hope for bluetooth or Wi-Fi access.

While the palm-side interface is very, very vague to non-Kyo programmers, the phone side is even more vague, and completely undocumented.
    Last edited by KB2PMD; 02-02-2004 at 10:46 AM.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

I was really hoping for a more positive outcome. I've been wanting to install he BMW bluetooth kit. Here is what I'm thinking, can you guys tell me if I am making a mistake. From what I read, the Sony Erricsson P900 is bluetooth compatable on the phone side. So, if I buy an "unlocked" version, will it work on VZN's NYC network? Will VZN trasfer service to it? Lastly, does anyone know if the palm applications are compatable with the Symbian OS?

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Originally posted by zlee1
    I was really hoping for a more positive outcome. I've been wanting to install he BMW bluetooth kit. Here is what I'm thinking, can you guys tell me if I am making a mistake. From what I read, the Sony Erricsson P900 is bluetooth compatable on the phone side. So, if I buy an "unlocked" version, will it work on VZN's NYC network? Will VZN trasfer service to it? Lastly, does anyone know if the palm applications are compatable with the Symbian OS?
    Nope, unfortunately it won't work. Verizon uses a technology called CDMA only, while the P900 is GSM, which is incompatible. However, you could look into AT&T Wireless, Cingular, and T-Mobile.. they're GSM providers in the US, and some might carry the P900. however, I'll warn you.. many have said that GSM coverage in the US is quite poor and spotty compared to CDMA coverage, so make sure to check service maps or try a pre-paid loaner phone for awhile, etc., before spending that much money!
    -M
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)