+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Takephone?

Why Takephone?

I see a lot of people on this forum talking about how great takephone is....
    I was wondering if someone can explain why I (or anyone) would need it for the kyo7135?
    I can already dial numbers without the stylus as is...
    For me to quickly dial numbers from an address book of over 150 contacts, I do the following:
    1) I organized my address book into categories of frequently called lists....
    2) With the phone on, I hit the address book several times to get to the category I want
    3) I scroll up and down with the scroll button to find the address I want
    4) I press the TALK key to dial a nunber

How does takephone make this process any easier?
    Thanks - you guys are all great, by the way!
    -Will

Re: Why Takephone?

Originally posted by redman
    I was wondering if someone can explain why I (or anyone) would need it for the kyo7135?
    I was wondering the same thing myself, just haven't had the time to explore the forum to see if there were any posts on it. Thanks for asking!

Its just faster, and more intuative. You'll find you use less keystrokes or stylus inputs to get to the data you want.

Although I dont use the feature, it is suppose to make calling card and other automated number input easier too.

You can download and try the software for yourself for free for 30 days to see if you'll like it. If you dont like it, just remove it...No harm done. (But I bet you wont.)
    Billman
    Colorado

Did I say that, or just think it?

I could use the build in dialer for most things But Ever tried taking out the stylus and using the Palm find function to locate a contact and then dialing the number using only one hand! Like when I'm driving (using my hands free car kit of course). Then try the same thing with Takephone!
    nuff said
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

what i like most about takephone is its ability to dial additional numbers without using the stylus...
    for example...
    if the person you want to call is in your speed dials, you OK on that contact and an additional window opens to display all available numbers for that contact, which you then dial using the OK button again...

also...
    from the main takephone screen, you can search your entire addressbook by pushing the numbers that correspond to the letters that you wish to search for, so if i wanted to dial MIKE, i would push 6-4-5-3 ...
    as you push each button, takephone narrows down the list of displayed contacts, which you can then navigate using the up/down/ok buttons...
    so there is no more remembering speed dial numbers or what category i have put someone under... all i have to remember is the persons name or company, which i already know (because i generally know who i want to call )

good luck,
    mike

Sounds like a "must try". Thanks a heep - I've been bleeding cash on Palm software lately!!!

Originally posted by rfreschner
    Sounds like a "must try". Thanks a heep - I've been bleeding cash on Palm software lately!!!
    Once you try it, you'll feel even worse about bleeding cash if you've bought any other contact software; you'll wish you hadn't wasted money on it, and bought Takephone first! (I bought SuperNames, which I love, but now barely use).

I've been using a similar product called Fingerdial for several months now. I tried both TakePhone and Fingerdial - I just like the display of the latter. But I am very impressed by the user support offered by the developer of TakePhone. Almost enough to go back and try it again!

Barb

Speaking of support, how can you beat a program that has it's own forum right hear on pdaphonehome:
    Takephone forum
    The developer seems to be everywhere at once on all the forums at pdaphonehome and quickly responds to questions and suggestions. He regularly releases updates to accomodate our requests for improvements. This forum is well worth a look.

Originally posted by mxpeed
    what i like most about takephone is its ability to dial additional numbers without using the stylus...
    for example...
    if the person you want to call is in your speed dials, you OK on that contact and an additional window opens to display all available numbers for that contact, which you then dial using the OK button again...
    if this is supposed to describe takephone vs. the built in address app., this is exactly how i dial from from the address book built into the phone, however, instead of hitting ok to call you have to hit the green phone button. i can call everyone of my contacts at any of their numbers using no stylus input.
    Last edited by tabutler; 02-01-2004 at 08:11 AM.

I had this question too and even downloaded takephone but never used it. there is no need as i have found everything i need built into the phone. (this is in no way a comment on the program itself) I just don't want another program on my phone that does something the phone does already.

Bebopper is another story (and another thread)

Originally posted by mxpeed

as you push each button, takephone narrows down the list of displayed contacts, which you can then navigate using the up/down/ok buttons...
    so there is no more remembering speed dial numbers or what category i have put someone under...
    this is identifcal to pressing the keys in the built in address app. instead of narrowing down the list, it jumps to a name in place as you type in more letters (also using the number keys that correspond to the appropriate letters) again, no stylus input and i can find, then call anyone with any of their numbers.

p.s. and i'm not intentionally picking on mxpeed
    Last edited by tabutler; 02-01-2004 at 08:28 AM.

Originally posted by Shea
    Once you try it, you'll feel even worse about bleeding cash if you've bought any other contact software; you'll wish you hadn't wasted money on it, and bought Takephone first! (I bought SuperNames, which I love, but now barely use).
    Luckily for me, I haven't downloaded any other contacts software yet. Tried it yesterday and I like it so far. It certainly looks like it will make things much easier once I get used to it. Now, my only problem is that I'm supposed to be getting a bunch of reviews done this weekend and I'm playing with my phone instead!

Originally posted by tabutler
    I had this question too and even downloaded takephone but never used it. ...

Bebopper is another story (and another thread)
    Lots of comments from someone who has never even tried Takephone!

Takephone is also "another story". Try it! We'd all be really surprised if you don't agree.

Originally posted by tabutler
    this is identifcal to pressing the keys in the built in address app. instead of narrowing down the list, it jumps to a name in place as you type in more letters (also using the number keys that correspond to the appropriate letters) again, no stylus input and i can find, then call anyone with any of their numbers.
    The difference between the two is that the built in app will go to the letter you type in; i.e. hit the "ghi" key once and it will put a "g" in the Look Up area at the bottom of the screen. To put an "h" there you have to hit the key twice. With TAKEphONE, you hit the "ghi" key once and it narrows down the search list to those names beginning with "g", "h", or "i". And, it works the same for subsequent letters. Much quicker if you have a large number of contacts. Not sure if I explained that adequately, but you have downloaded it so there are better examples in the manual.

Of course, if the built in apps work just fine for you, that's great! No need to clutter up the phone.

Tabulter
    Perhaps I'm missing something? Do you have a trick or technique that makes searching the address book as easy as takephone? Do tell. Yes, I can search the built in address book for numbers, contacts, and company info, but it takes a lot more keystrokes from what I can tell. For example With the built in address book if I want to search by Company name, I have to first scroll through the phone menu to launch the address app, (two presses of the OK button) make sure the address book is sorted by company name (I don't know how to do this without the stylus) then I have to preform multilple keypresses on the keypad numbers to get the desired letter. It works but I find it very cumbersome. Do you have a better method.
    TakePhone on the other hand when launched defaults to the find screen. A press of the keypad or the big onscreen buttons searches both the Company name and contact name fields simultaneously for all combinations of the three letters on that key. I'm always amazed at hwo quickly it narrows the search to what I'm looking for. And I can do this all with one hand.
    For me it boils down to being able to search both the Contact and company fields simultaneously using one hand.That's where I see th advantage of having TakePhone on my 7135.
    mg

Originally posted by Shea
    Lots of comments from someone who has never even tried Takephone!

i downloaded, tested it out and found it did nothing for me above what i already had, so i never used it again.

McGuzzy:
    i never need to search by anything other than the persons name i am going to call, so i have no technique for searching by company name or other criteria. since holding the down or up button allows me to scroll a page at a time, i rarely use the search function as i can get to the persons name pretty quick

Tabutler
    I have ~200 contacts in my address book. Some clients I know by name, some by company, some I remember thier phone numbers fine. For me Take phone is very useful at searching them, due to the way it searches for contacts. I've heard there are someother nice features for setting up calling cards and such. Yes I know the phone will do all the things Takephone can, but I like the way TakePhone packages all those features. And there are a fwe other things I'd like to see it do as well. But I can see if I didn't have so many contacts to scroll through that I wouldn't
    have a need for something like take phone.
    I'm curious after all this banter wether RedMan went with TakePhone or not.
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    [BI'm curious after all this banter wether RedMan went with TakePhone or not.
    mg [/B]
    redman may or may not, but I sure as heck am going to!! Thanks for spending more of my money guys!!